• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are you reading?

NeoPhile

Can I get a "Bright not Broken"?
In this thread, we talk about books that we're reading right now. I'll start.
Right now, I'm reading A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power by Jimmy Carter. It's a good read. It talks about how women are oppressed all over the world and how different cultures have subjugated women throughout history.

Cool- i think id enjoy that, i was always curious about JC's legacy. Im reading a few things. One is the Motivation Manifesto by Brenden Berchard . The other book i just read is called "you are now less dumb" by David mcraney. Both are chalk full of big ideas, and great insights.

I have decided to devote the next four years to reading classic literature. Fiction isn't generally my favorite thing but I'm doing it anyway. This week I've decided to try Wuthering Heights.

I just recently read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson. Quite an interesting book. The movie is cool too, but the book is usually always better.

This is neither here nor there, but Austin the Aspie, I wanted to say I like your signature. We share a favorite movie, I think.

This is neither here nor there, but Austin the Aspie, I wanted to say I like your signature. We share a favorite movie, I think.
It seems we do, NeoPhile. I've always loved The Matrix. Aside from the cool moves and shooting, the message that the film portrays is what truly makes it one of my favorites. About how this world is consumed by media, consumerism, and technology, and about how this "matrix" we live in is what's holding us back from reaching our true potential. It seems to me that all of this is just distractions from knowing the truth about life.

I just read a review of temple Grandin's book, and it sounds really good, I think that is next on my que.

Last edited:
I'm reading City Of Devils by Justin Robinson. The premise? To put it simply: Hotel Transylvania + Monster High + Zootopia + Who Framed Roger Rabbit? equals this book. The main character is Nick Moss, the only human detective in a city full of movie monsters. Hired by doppelganger and actress Imogen Verity to find her missing mummy husband...Ya get the deal. It's a noir set in a AU of Los Angeles.

Honestly, I'm starting to wish Tim Burton made a movie out of it instead of Miss Peregrine.

IMG_9826.JPG

I was reading Bioshock:Rapture. Based on the events before the first game and rise and fall of the underwater utopia.

Also Edda by Snorri Sturluson, about norse mythology.

I recently started reading John Cleese's autobiography on my Kindle app on my phone.

Absolutely hilarious!

I'm trying to re-connect with my love for books, when I was a kid I was a passionate reader but someday or sometime at my teenage years I lost the interest. With the lack of reading I've found my cognitive capability diminished so I've started again to re-exercise the brain.

Besides the books I called before I'm trying to read something in my own language (spanish) and today I grabbed one of my favourite books from highshool, titled: Única mirando al Mar (ünica looking at the sea), it tells the story of "divers" on its kind of ocean, people who lives in a landfill and dive among trash for food and things to recicle and sell. It begins with única, an old former teacher who was fired or discarded from society and now collects trash for living, one day she finds an uncouncious man around 60yo on the landfill, he then tells his story and after have been fired from work and have nothing more to live he decides to discard himself to the landfill, he tries to suicide but the love from the divers and the experience shows him that his life is worth again.

This week I've decided to try Wuthering Heights.
How have you got on with that? I didn't like it myself but don't let me put you off.

I'm currently reading Girls Will Be Girls: Dressing up, playing parts and daring to act differently by Emer O'Toole.

thinking about reading 'My signals :an autistic man dreams in circles
his name is a pseudonym as hes a romanichal gypsy

Last edited:
I am currently reading The Supernaturilist by Eoin Colfer which has got me despite the fact I don't read much distopion fiction.

I am listening to Avalon High by Meg Cabot which i'm not sure what I think about it yet.

How have you got on with that? I didn't like it myself but don't let me put you off.

I'm currently reading Girls Will Be Girls: Dressing up, playing parts and daring to act differently by Emer O'Toole.
It was the second time I'd tried to read it and this time I enjoyed it. First time I couldn't keep track of all the characters. 20 years makes a difference.

When I read Wuthering Heights I found myself wishing that an anachronistic New York self-help writer would breeze in and tell Cathy: "Honey, you gotta have some self-respect. Get away from Yorkshire and DON'T CALL HIM!"

New Threads

Top Bottom