• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are symptoms of autism?

Try the Aspie quiz. When it comes to websites which show symptoms of Autism, I think this test puts them to shame, because it highlights some very specific, and yet quite exact symptoms that might fly under the radar of bigger websites, such as the NHS site in UK for instance:

Medical site links for symptoms lists:

Ed

Try the Aspie quiz. When it comes to websites which show symptoms of Autism, I think this test puts them to shame, because it highlights some very specific, and yet quite exact symptoms that might fly under the radar of bigger websites, such as the NHS site in UK for instance:

Ed
Thank you

I like Orion Kelly on YouTube as he is a good example of many of us who have managed over the years to be "under the radar" of so many medical professionals. Making it that much more challenging for us to be convinced of our own autism as adults searching for answers.

Here he discusses some 20 basic traits that probably describe many if not most of us:

Ed
Thanks!!

IMG_20221031_104800.jpg

There are no symptoms of autism. Because autism is not a disease.

Autism is just a different wiring of the brain and nervous system. It cannot be changed or cured.

So what autistic people have, are a spectrum of common personality traits. But also different personality traits that are unique to each individual.

Autism can be managed, somewhat, through self-education and self-awareness of what overwhelms you, and alternately, what brings you comfort.

For instance I am triggered by:

Too much vocal communication
Too many people in a small room talking to me
Too much unwelcome hand shaking or hugging
Bright flashy colors and lights
Crowded mass transit
A very rigid schedule without any time for self care and rest

Each day I need to spend at least a couple hours in a dim, shadowy room. Doing things like crafts, going online, reading, drinking water, and resting. I also find that time in nature, away from everyone, is very beneficial. Also working on my special interests and hobbies is quite exciting. I love watching movies with my daughter, and listening to old chants and songs (about 1000 years old for most of them). The rhythmic vocals, with very little background instruments really helps my autism, and also de-stresses me. The lyrics, when I can find the translations into modern English, are often very uplifting. Oh and that's important! Focussing only on happy things, and when something is sad or stressful, doing all I can to help the person or situation in distress.

I guess it can be summed up as Optimism, Self-Care, Scheduled Solitude, and also a big dose of Helping Others, as the things that bring me joy. I especially like directly helping homeless people, or sending money or gifts to children in other countries. I have a sponsor child in Uganda, and I've been paying for her school tuition and all her living expenses since she was very young. She was a war orphan. And she means a lot to me. She calls me mama and I call her daughter. I'll put her through college too. She's my second child, as far as I'm concerned.

So if you feel uncomfortable around groups of people, socializing, try instead, to donate a little energy to the welfare and well being of other humans, even if they are total strangers. That will bring great joy.

Last edited:
Reading the posts here. If you notice similarities in what people describe , or you see yourself feeling the same way, then research more.

There are no symptoms of autism. Because autism is not a disease.

Autism is just a different wiring of the brain and nervous system. It cannot be changed or cured.

So what autistic people have, are a spectrum of common personality traits. But also different personality traits that are unique to each individual.

Autism can be managed, somewhat, through self-education and self-awareness of what overwhelms you, and alternately, what brings you comfort.

For instance I am triggered by:

Too much vocal communication
Too many people in a small room talking to me
Too much unwelcome hand shaking or hugging
Bright flashy colors and lights
Crowded mass transit
A very rigid schedule without any time for self care and rest

Each day I need to spend at least a couple hours in a dim, shadowy room. Doing things like crafts, going online, reading, drinking water, and resting. I also find that time in nature, away from everyone, is very beneficial. Also working on my special interests and hobbies is quite exciting. I love watching movies with my daughter, and listening to old chants and songs (about 1000 years old for most of them). The rhythmic vocals, with very little background instruments really helps my autism, and also de-stresses me. The lyrics, when I can find the translations into modern English, are often very uplifting. Oh and that's important! Focussing only on happy things, and when something is sad or stressful, doing all I can to help the person or situation in distress.

I guess it can be summed up as Optimism, Self-Care, Scheduled Solitude, and also a big dose of Helping Others, as the things that bring me joy. I especially like directly helping homeless people, or sending money or gifts to children in other countries. I have a sponsor child in Uganda, and I've been paying for her school tuition and all her living expenses since she was very young. She was a war orphan. And she means a lot to me. She calls me mama and I call her daughter. I'll put her through college too. She's my second child, as far as I'm concerned.

So if you feel uncomfortable around groups of people, socializing, try instead, to donate a little energy to the welfare and well being of other humans, even if they are total strangers. That will bring great joy.
I love this answer. Looks like You got similarly wired up brain to mine. Really great explained etc. Thanks

New Threads

Top Bottom