• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What a bad day. My therapist ended up being no good.

Often when I feel like crying the feeling fizzles out very quickly and it's not me consciously 'manning up'
Yes that's what I was saying. I know what you mean. I think it's like that for a lot of men (some more than others).

I cry at the drop of a hat lol.

Some of the girls ignoring me and treating me like dirt I still can remember there faces 28 years later and back in 2003 the last time I would ever in my life step into a classroom at a certificate tech school you believe that try I can't even remember someone I meet 2 years ago. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
I am very sorry. Quitting SSRIs cold turkey should not be a thing forced on you, I did it once and it was hell! It sounds like the therapist "caught" you when you were on "edge" and mistook that for bipolar. Even if you're a misdiagnosed bipolar, the solution should not to be take someone's SSRIs just on a suspicion. The therapist sounds super inexperienced and incompetent.

Therapy needs to be done with people specially trained on autism or it's not nearly as effective. I cycled through a bunch of therapists who thought I was somehow refusing to progress before landing on one who had coincidentally happened to be trained on autism.

I'm awaiting therapy for my emetophobia issues, but I only put ADHD, and didn't tick the box next to autism under the "mental health/disability" section when I was filling out the referral online. This is because everywhere I read about emetophobia I 100% relate to it, and I belong to a forum for people with emetophobia and presumably most of them are NTs (or at least not autistic). So I don't feel disclosure of autism is necessary for this.

But for most normal autistics it is necessary to disclose your autism to a therapist.

@Tony Ramirez

You might be getting some "tough love" from your therapist.

I'm very confident you consistently underestimate the consequences of allowing your emotions to control your behavior. If your therapist has ever talked to you about this, she may have taken the opportunity to show you how people perceive it.

Or maybe she was having a bad day :)

But it's definitely a bad idea to react impulsively while you're controlled by your emotional state. Better to wait it out, or, if you can't calm down (it's not always possible) fake it.,

BTW there are people who say it's good to be guided by your emotions, but it's (very) bad advice.

In general, people should pay attention to their emotional state of course, but they should be rational when deciding what to do and how to do it.

We're all unreliable narrators here, but even assuming the best of Tony's therapist, you aren't supposed to quit SSRIs cold turkey. This is well-known - there are specific instructions for tapering off and the withdrawal symptoms get intense. I would be filing a complaint based on that alone.

That's very mean to tell someone to "just stop" crying, rocking and stimming otherwise when they're having a breakdown. Rocking and crying doesn't hurt anyone and allows emotions to be let out. You might indeed have more luck with someone who has experience with autism.

College interns can have too little experience. Basically anyone who is still in training.

It's that crying is not something my nervous system involuntarily does. I have only cried in extreme stress or grief.
Same here. It became that way at some point during late puberty. I feel deep sadness at times, the feeling is the same, but I just don't cry or start being emotional. I don't repress it, it just is that way. I cry rarely.

With my hormonal issues, also I cried as a response to sadness when my hormones were down and out of balance. It has stopped pretty much since everything evened out. I'm not sure if it's a good thing entirely, but it's certainly masculine to appear tough and to think logically in the face of stress.

When I do reach that point of meltdown, though, it can be harder to calm down and I feel like I need to do something physical. Oddly, the stimming and rocking feels more like what I should be doing. But hm... people generally behave in a number of unusual ways when having a nervous breakdown, so I wouldn't assign much meaning to it.

@Tony Ramirez

Can you help me to understand the situation?

When you said "Basically now I am out of Prozac on Sunday and they won't refill it."
What does that mean?

A. I ran out of Prozac over the weekend and don't have any left.
B. I still have some Prozac, but by the end of the week, there won't be any more in the bottle.

C. Does it say on the bottle that there are still a number of Refills left?
D. Or does it say Zero refills left (which would mean you need to see your medical provider.)

Even if I wasn't on the spectrum myself, I could read up about autism on something like WebMD and come out more experienced with the subject than half of the so-called "therapists" out there.

Sorry you had to go through that. Most therapists, even college interns, are far more understanding than that. Some, however, don't know jack. I've run into that myself, but that's a story for another time.

All through my school years K to 12 people knew and called my name. From college after no one except a few rare teachers said my name. Not one student ever said my name once.

That is why it's a shock now so many people say my name at yoga and church.

I told them that but they did not care especially this flake of a therapist. She said you might be bipolar so we are not going to chance it by refilling it so you are just going with out it. I said I will climb the walls. I was stimming humming and crying. She did not care saying just basically leave and I will see you next Tuesday.

Tony, I don't think you should seeing a student therapist. Your mother's new plan sounds much better. You wouldn't let an amateur or student brain surgeon operate on you, would you? You need a qualified, licensed professional, not some college student.

All through my school years K to 12 people knew and called my name. From college after no one except a few rare teachers said my name. Not one student ever said my name once.

That is why it's a shock now so many people say my name at yoga and church.
I found that at university, I became anonymous. Whereas at school even if I wasn't close to anyone, people seemed to at least know and accept me

Yes what's this Prozac situation, this sounds dangerous
Me and my mother went down there. They still refused us saying I can go without it because I might be possibly bipolar. My mother is ticked so we are going back at 5:15 pm and she is going to give them a real peace of their mind and take legal action of they refuse.

Me and my mother went down there. They still refused us saying I can go without it because I might be possibly bipolar. My mother is ticked so we are going back at 5:15 pm and she is going to give them a real peace of their mind and take legal action of they refuse.

If they suspect bipolar, they prescribe a mood stabilizer, not suddenly stop the antidepressant.

If they suspect bipolar, they prescribe a mood stabilizer, not suddenly stop the antidepressant.
Don't frustrate me. I am not bipolar. All that medication the 28 years is what messed me up mentally and made me gain all that weight. I wish college never existed. What a plaque of a place it was. My life would have been much better if I had taken a different direction at 18.

New Threads

Top Bottom