• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Were you forbidden to make art?

I don't recall showing much artistic interest as a child, but when I was in my late 20's (about 2004) I remember a conversation with my dad in the hospital, it was just the two of us...

I was just getting into photography at the time... I still remember my dad being quite negative about it, almost suggesting it was worthless... Within a couple years he passed away, I still kept doing photography (and still do it), but sometimes I think back on that conversation, and for a long time that one conversation did have an impact on me, in terms of my self esteem around my photography... I'm pretty much over this now though

Thank you, I’m glad you’re doing good. Whatever it was, I think he was wrong about that.

I like photography, but never tried it yet. One of my favourite photographers is Michael Donovan

Thank you, I’m glad you’re doing good. Whatever it was, I think he was wrong about that.

I like photography, but never tried it yet. One of my favourite photographers is Michael Donovan

My dad was just very practical, an immigrant to Canada back in the late 1950's, so that mentality... I just don't think he saw anything useful in the arts world... And yes, words like that can stick in your head...

@ilovebeingtheworst★

One more story to encourage you as relayed to me from a friend, he is NT friend but this applies

He is from a family of creative people, but at some point in his teens he had a teacher at school tell him that his art was terrible... For many years into his 40's he took that to heart and didn't do any art at all because of an association with that teacher

During Covid he just simply starting doing sketches, felt the inspiration really out of nowhere, has told me that the sketching was part of his journey through that time of his life... Now that we are more back to normal, he basically stopped sketching, but at least he got the inspiration... Lately he's pursuing a doctorate in history, that's his new adventure...

Today I was mad at people after reading all these stories… it’s unfair that some of us have to hear cruel things about ourselves even not for bad actions, but simply for refusing to be an object of someone’s pride.

Good luck to your friend ♥️

My dad was just very practical, an immigrant to Canada back in the late 1950's, so that mentality... I just don't think he saw anything useful in the arts world... And yes, words like that can stick in your head...

Yes I understand, my dad also was from poor family. I feel something like pity for him for not being able to understand me, although he is trying to hurt me sometimes. But I don’t think he really cares about me, he maybe wants everything around to convince him that he had lived his life correctly.

Sometimes I wish just clear my mind to live freely from anything that I’ve learnt about myself from others

I also didn’t tell it to my family. I’m not diagnosed, because in my county autism and adhd aren’t disease, maybe just kids “temporary” issues lol. Only kids can be diagnosed. My little brother, a son of my father, was diagnosed with autism at maybe 4 years old. They were absolutely terrified by that and now they deny that he is autistic, they believe they cured him of it with homeopathy and just think he has a bad temper. They really blaming USA that their vaccines made their son "defective", that’s ridiculous. They also deny that I ever have struggled from abuse or I may be not normal.

I understand you, I also don’t really feel connection to my ego sometimes.

Because of my derealization and depersonalization I sometimes reached really strange states. I was also into absurdism when I was a teenager, and I loved the ideas described in "La Société du spectacle" and "Simulacres et Simulation». The most impressive book for me was the work of unknown author Jed McKenna, "Spiritual Enlightenment: The Despicable Thing" which I found by chance while trying to figure out what I was. It is the best description of how I really feel about myself. Perhaps these books will help you feel more comfortable about this question.

My previous response to your situation was not really about that, because it’s already too much complicated. I meant that when you see your parents ignoring things about your feelings or motives, it feels like you're forced to communicate with them as an actor. I do that too. I play the role of myself to them, the way they want to know me. It will be confusing for them to know the true motives behind my actions and they will try to make me good again as quickly as possible. They will talk some nonsense until I just give up and keep pretending that I'm the best version of myself they've made up. Sometimes it gets really ridiculous. I just let them think of me the way they want so they don't bother me a lot. I also mask my autistic behavior in the same way.

And from that perspective, it can be really hard to establish attachment with them, because I am not that clear, adequate, simplified version of myself when I don't need to communicate with them and constantly acting like that. It all comes from their denial…
Oh my gosh...That whole situation just sounds horrible. I just...I have few words. My goodness.

Those books and things you mention sound like something I too could relate with. Are they available online?

Ah, I understand now; 'as an actor' is pretty apt. The last time I ever saw them...well, I acted like how they'd normally have wanted me to. It was draining. I wish that no one ever had to grow up in situations like ours.

Oh my gosh...That whole situation just sounds horrible. I just...I have few words. My goodness.

Those books and things you mention sound like something I too could relate with. Are they available online?

Ah, I understand now; 'as an actor' is pretty apt. The last time I ever saw them...well, I acted like how they'd normally have wanted me to. It was draining. I wish that no one ever had to grow up in situations like ours.
Yeah lol

I don’t know, I have read it online but not on English, maybe try to write name of the book and pdf

Or this

Have a good day

I was born with an extreme obsessive fascination of electronic circuits. That was art to me. Since then, electronics design has been my life.

As a child, my involvement with electronics was heavily and angrily restricted. My father expected me to love hunting, fishing and drinking beer. He said electronics was not for "real" men. But, I hated hunting, fishing and drinking beer and everything he claimed was a "real" man. With that, I didn't want to be a "real" man, at least his image of a "real" man.

Still, as much as I could, in the face of punishment, I pursue my passion - all the way to retirement.

Here is a tiny clip of some of my "artwork":
1676650687958.png

I was born with an extreme obsessive fascination of electronic circuits. That was art to me. Since then, electronics design has been my life.

As a child, my involvement with electronics was heavily and angrily restricted. My father expected me to love hunting, fishing and drinking beer. He said electronics was not for "real" men. But, I hated hunting, fishing and drinking beer and everything he claimed was a "real" man. With that, I didn't want to be a "real" man, at least his image of a "real" man.

Still, as much as I could, in the face of punishment, I pursue my passion - all the way to retirement.

Here is a tiny clip of some of my "artwork":
View attachment 96600

Thank you for sharing.

I'm surprised that even in your case your parents found a reason to pick on you, because your passion seems very practical and socially approved. I'm sorry your father did that to you.

It saddens me to read that you have been or may be punished for something you love. But you are also a brave man if you stand up to the ignorance of your family. I think no one has the right to do wrong to you, not even your father. I wish you love and support in the future

Your artwork strikes me as very measured, logical and graceful. I think you are really good at it. I can see how diligently it is done. I think your art fits your character well and your personality is evident in that. I like people like that…

Have a good day

Thank you for sharing.

I'm surprised that even in your case your parents found a reason to pick on you, because your passion seems very practical and socially approved. I'm sorry your father did that to you.

It saddens me to read that you have been or may be punished for something you love. But you are also a brave man if you stand up to the ignorance of your family. I think no one has the right to do wrong to you, not even your father. I wish you love and support in the future

Your artwork strikes me as very measured, logical and graceful. I think you are really good at it. I can see how diligently it is done. I think your art fits your character well and your personality is evident in that. I like people like that…

Have a good day
Thank you for the kind words.

I do believe that all art is an expression of the artist's soul. That is why art is so beautiful, and why there are so many forms of art. For example, my electronic circuit art is not to be visually pretty; the art is in the personality of the circuitry composing the electronics - the personality of how the circuit performs. I find it very moving to witness an electronic circuit that functions with perfection and graceful elegance. In today's world, I don't see that very often, but when I do it can move me to tears.

After retiring, I have dedicated my life to creating electronic art. Here is my website. More explanation in The Art tab.

Thank you for the kind words.

I do believe that all art is an expression of the artist's soul. That is why art is so beautiful, and why there are so many forms of art. For example, my electronic circuit art is not to be visually pretty; the art is in the personality of the circuitry composing the electronics - the personality of how the circuit performs. I find it very moving to witness an electronic circuit that functions with perfection and graceful elegance. In today's world, I don't see that very often, but when I do it can move me to tears.

After retiring, I have dedicated my life to creating electronic art. Here is my website. More explanation in The Art tab.

I adore who you are. You made my day, thank you. ♥️ I will remember you.

Regarding the practicality of pursuing art, or any personal passion, over something more lucrative, I think one's life is far more fulfilling when their passions are fulfilled, even if not their bank accounts.
A couple of good examples are:
Eddie Edwards - Olympian "Eddie the Eagle"
Maurice Flitcroft - golfer "The Phantom of the Open"

Eddie and Maurice are true stories of people who pursued their passions over career, even without any talent, and still became famous.

New Threads

Top Bottom