• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird things you did when you were little

I would sleep with my legs on the wall and my head hanging off the bed.

Also while trying to sleep, I would hold my arm upright in the air with my hand pointed to the ceiling. As I got tired my hand would drop and I'd feel it and push it back up again.

Other weird stuff, but can't think right now

I would sleep with my legs on the wall and my head hanging off the bed.

Also while trying to sleep, I would hold my arm upright in the air with my hand pointed to the ceiling. As I got tired my hand would drop and I'd feel it and push it back up again.

Other weird stuff, but can't think right now

when I was really little I'd apparently sleep with my eyes open once in a while; it'd freak my mom out lol

It is called Palilalia and I had that aswell until my early teenage years. This is actually the thing that objectivly oriented me toward a asd diagnosis, I was looking at a lot of things online but couldnt realy relate to anything about mental health until I found someone talking about that.

Wow I did that all the time, still do, some other kids commented on it back then. Didn't know there was name for it.

I used to be deathly afraid of hardwood floors, afraid I'd fall through. Would freeze and cry until someone carried me across them.

I'd go around wiping off all the lights on cars because I thought they looked better. Looking at dashes and imagining what all the lights said and what color they would be lit up. Crawling under cars in parking lots to see the workings.

Seeing houses and imagining the floor plan without seeing the inside, imagining how the stairways looked and if the upstairs rooms had slants on the walls. Wanting to check out basements and mechanical rooms of large buildings.

Collecting as many metal spice cans as I could, and any color inkpen I could get my hands on.

Staying up late and seeing how many channels I could get on any given night (lived on top of a hill and would sometimes pull channels from hundreds of miles away). Waking up early and reading the TV guide, and reading phone books. Still read phone books sometimes. Didn't require much sleep.

Making up little jingles about everyday events and observations.

Really not a lot different than now. Only thing is everything is on a larger scale. As I grew up I learned enough about engineering to not be afraid of hardwood floors as long as I knew what was beneath them.

I did the whisper-repeating too.
I also "flapped/waved" my hands excessively when I got excited... that technically never actually stopped, but I learned to reduce it to a much more subtle clenching, "tangling-up" and tensing up of my fingers.

My mum also says that, as a baby and even as a newborn, I would keep direct eye contact with her for extended periods of time - y'know, babies/newborns normally don't do that.

Greets,
AG

I put everything in my mouth. Toys? Mouth. Food fell on the floor? Mouth. Hold the receipt for you? Sure, no problem. Mouth. Long after I was aware that no one else my age did it, and that everyone thought it was gross, I still did it surreptitiously. It took a long time of conscious effort to break the habit.

I had to compulsively read everything. In first grade, when my brother wanted to look at the game on the back of a cereal box, I turned it so he could see the game and I would read the ingredients and nutrition information. When I walked into a room, I couldn't even look at the people there until I had read everything that had words on it in that room.

I used to rewire toys as a kid and would strip wire with my teeth. Now I don't dare, they're not near as strong as they used to be.

I'd read all food boxes and ingredients too. A temporary obsession (before internet) was to figure out how many types of vitamin B there were and what they were also known as.

I was also fascinated with the printing tests on packages. The colors and codes often on the flaps, I'd collect those. Then my sister started to tear them off first just out of spite because she knew I wanted them so bad.

Lick everything wood related.. Some chairs, desks... Something about the taste. I can see sexual comments being made about this.. but I promise it's not related LMAO.

Used to torture dolls that I had, toy figures, and whatnot. I don't remember when I stopped doing this, I just did.

My OCD was much worse as a kid.. For example I would constantly tell myself negative things would happen if I didn't do this or say this. Like I must hurt myself, I would die, or something along those lines.

I used to take my toys apart all the time. I had little jewelers screwdrivers. Transformers were great for this as a lot of assembly was with little screws. Then I'd put them back together. I think Transformers were a great toy for young aspies!

I did several weird things when I was little. I would often times talk to myself, ate plant fertilizer once, and turned things upside down. If I bumped into something I would slap the item back and accuse the object of hitting me. I enjoyed looking at reflections of myself and pretending I was talking to another person. One day, when I was three I was standing at the edge of a dock and tried to lean forward to look at my reflection in the water so I could talk for a while. I leaned too far forward and fell off the dock and into the water. This really scared my mom. She could not see me because the water was so muddy and was about to jump in and try to find me. Then a few seconds later I popped back up above the surface of the water and she grabbed me and sat me on the dock. I had instinctively began swimming after I fell into the water and was able to quickly get above water. I learned to find better ways to find my reflection after that.

My grandparents lived on a busy 2 lane highway when I was little and I used to lay in the ditch right next to the road and listen to the big trucks zoom by. I remember my mom carrying me back to the house and telling me over and over not to get close to the road but I kept going back. To this day every time I hear a big truck zoom past me I think of how I felt laying in that ditch. There was something peaceful about it.

Chewing the wires on game controllers when frustrated.
Got in trouble for that so started chewing the controller instead.
Yea, I chewed anything leather. Was glad when we finally had a dog to blame. lol

Where do I start?
I had an obsession with sorting things into alphabetical order. All the bookshelves in the house for a start. All my toys, including Lego bricks (using colour as the deciding alphabetical factor) and even kitchen cupboards.
I taught myself to read before I started school (which upset my first school no end - they accused my mum of being "irresponsible" and said I would have to "unlearn" and then be "taught properly") using Ladybird picture dictionaries. At the age of 3 1/2 I took a biro and wrote the word "Fire" hundreds of times all over my wallpaper in my bedroom, as far as I could reach, because I thought the picture of the fire engine in the dictionary was so exciting.
I did NOT grow up to be a pyromaniac btw ;)
When I was a young teen my albums had to be cleaned before going back into the sleeve then placed back inside the cardboard cover just as it was when I bought it and they had to stay in alphabetical order, keeping all the croups together from first album to last.
And I'm glad you're not a pyromaniac. lol

I use to try eating a lot of food raw - things like vegetables or pasta. Also, I used to experiment a lot - mainly mixing various substances that I found round the house to see what would happen. I got bored easily, and was always looking for something new to try.

New Threads

Top Bottom