• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Water kettle

Mindf'Elle'ness

Peace and passion for ALL
So totally off topic, I work in a nursing home (with a big budget). The staff has a water kettle in their lounge, and the residents have their hot drinks prepared in a 'pantry' equipped with a few small appliances.
I have worked there for over 3 years and I can say that about every 6 months, I have to replace all of the appliances. I don't know how they're breaking down so fast (staff accidentally running the kettle dry?). We get the appliances from a 'Staples-like' company here in Canada and I try to buy the better quality ones (ie: Cuisinart approx.$80) but they all end up as land-fill after a few months.
So, my question is, does anyone have a solution to this? We have better luck with the 'industrial' grade microwaves that this retailer sells, but they don't sell industrial grade water kettles or toasters, etc. Where should we look to buy something that provides boiling hot water but doesn't take up a lot of counter space? I really dislike having to throw out the appliances as often as we do.

Look for an electric kettle with an automatic shut off. Something simple to use with one easily accessible lever for example. I've had one for about twenty years, very similar to this:

upload_2020-4-23_22-9-39.jpeg
It's on a pedestal connection, which means you can pick the thing up and place it on a counter to pour. So there'e no heating element stuck on the bottom. Yet there are problems in that if it's used all the time, say twenty to thirty times per day it may not last as long in a workplace setting.

My choice for that kind of enviroment would be an old standby used in restaurants:

images
It's a commercial hot water dispenser, think this brand is a waring, and it holds three gallons (11.35 litres) of hot water. The only difficulty with these is that they require regular maintenance, usually descaling.

Last edited:
Could there be anything wrong with the electrics, that's a surprisingly short lifespan for the items.

Just to say too, hope you are well supplied with PPE as sadly Covid 19 seems very prevalent in care homes, partly unfortunately the comings and goings of staff and visitors.

There’s the boiling water taps as others have said, wall mounted ‘zip’ water heaters (for larger/faster volume), or most water coolers can also come with hot water taps.

If the water used is high in minerals this is a common problem. If so you can run water mixed with vinegar through it once a month or only use purified water in them.

My workplace has a Bunn hot water dispenser - I have worked there for 10 years and it may have broken down once in that time, I'm not sure. It's on and hot 24/7 (unless the power goes out.)

This sounds like a much better solution than electric kettles. Those are probably just dying because they're being used far more than the manufacturer intended - those are meant to be used a couple times a day, not constantly. Their life span is realistically use cycles, not years.

The Bunn will require plumbing, but I think it's just a small water line, not massive piping. I think it might even be a flexible line. It really doesn't take up much space, it's maybe 12" wide if that - it's tall and deep, but if you have a deep enough counter space, it doesn't take up much space that would be used for other things, if that makes sense. It and two industrial coffee canteens together take up roughly 3 feet of counter space.

Bunn's website lists the unit + installation at somewhere around $1200 - you'll "earn back" a good portion of that by not buying kettles constantly.

Could you ask a local cafe, small restaurant who supplies them with equipment. (even if they are closed they might answer the phone to you)

I don't live in Canada so I don't know who would be a good supplier there.

Could there be anything wrong with the electrics, that's a surprisingly short lifespan for the items.

Just to say too, hope you are well supplied with PPE as sadly Covid 19 seems very prevalent in care homes, partly unfortunately the comings and goings of staff and visitors.

That's a good point. Is the voltage amps coming higher out of the electrical socket- l believe this would burn out electrical appliances. Like electrical storms can get to your electronics. In that case you would need electrician to come out and measure the amps or whatever delivered. Slight variances do matter. They sell in America those external outlet stations that protect appliances from electrical surges. I believe these shut off in case of a power surge.

New Threads

Top Bottom