• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vintage tractor photos

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
@Ronald Zeeman

Since we were discussing it recently, on Saturday I went to the Pioneer Acres annual show here in Alberta, less tractors than usual, but still lots of tractors being shown off, and in the tractor pull, etc...

One photo:

Pioneer Acres 09.jpg

@Nitro loves this kind of stuff. Post more.

PS I want the car on the left. We had a rusted old car like that on the property growing up, but it was from the 40s, and I used to sit in the drivers seat as a kid and play that I was driving. I forgot all about that memory until just now. Thank you.

I've never watched the tractor pull much, but I know it's a popular event
I don't know if this is the same thing, but in my hometown they used to thoroughly soak the dirt in the fairground arena, until it was a boggy slush, and then they'd have a tractor race. The spectators would get really muddy.

I will be running a turn of the century lineshaft machineshop here this weekend Steam Show

By chance, I met one of the three remaining founding members and after striking up a conversation with him, I told him it was cool to see the old shop and tools, but also disappointing to see them merely collecting dust.
From there I told him of my past growing up in a shop and that I had a home hobby machineshop in my present home.
As the conversation progressed, I mentioned that I had once been an active show participant there, but now merely went to see the shows.
Then I started dropping some very well known names and how I was associated with them.
Having heard that, he told me his history and said he would ask the powers that be if they wanted to let me run it as a working demonstration.
I went to a monthly meeting with him armed with pictures of some on my machinetool restorations and the rest is history.
That day, I was brought into the fold of the inner circle and handed my key :cool:

It is quite an honor to be accepted as one of them and to maintain and run a permanent display instead of hauling in my stuff in as I had in the past.
Over the past two months, I have been getting the shaft system in order and prepping the equipment to go live.
The stuff won't just be running, it will be working and cutting metal like it is supposed to.
In all, like anything from days gone by, the shop operation is very dangerous with big wide open belts running from the tops of the machines to common powered shafts fixed to the rafters.
The equipment is "turned on and off" by either a handle that moves the belt from an idler pulley for off to a live one for on, or like some of the fancier stuff with a dog clutch.
That just adds another element of danger to an already dangerous operation.

We hold the largest excavating show in the world on our grounds where people can see older equipment in operation.

What started out as a small gathering on a local farm has evolved to become what it is today.
An active on site sawmill is used to slab timbers for the buildings there.
We have a coal mining section with operable equipment that moves actual coal all day.
There is an active drilling rig on site.
In front of my shop, we have an active smithy where they are forcing steel with hammers and fire.
Most of the blacksmiths have done or do machinework, so we share common ground.
There is a live steam display beside the smithy run by a friend of mine who has offered to plumb me a steam line to operate my antique two man crosscut reciprocating saw I restored and ran there maybe 15 years ago or so.
She's a beauty and was used in conjunction with a steam powered icecream maker that belongs to another friend who used to make and sell his product to support the show.

Just a taste of some of my likely 100+ years old equipment :D
Shaper
20210717_114632.jpg

Horizontal milling machine with an indexing head
20210711_144608.jpg

Monarch engine lathe
20210807_131026.jpg
Our steam traction engines and both shovels are down due to no longer passing boiler inspections, but we still have a working live steam roller on our grounds too.

And antique tractors, literally hundreds of them on display with two tractor parades around the showgrounds daily.

Because the shop is now mine, I will be camping inside of the shop 3 nights starting Thursday instead of traveling back and forth to home.

As always, I will return with photos from the show and possibly video of me running my shop ;)

Last edited:
I will be running a turn of the century lineshaft machineshop here this weekend Steam Show

By chance, I met one of the three remaining founding members and after striking up a conversation with him, I told him it was cool to see the old shop and tools, but also disappointing to see them merely collecting dust.
From there I told him of my past growing up in a shop and that I had a home hobby machineshop in my present home.
As the conversation progressed, I mentioned that I had once been an active show participant there, but now merely went to see the shows.
Then I started dropping some very well known names and how I was associated with them.
Having heard that, he told me his history and said he would ask the powers that be if they wanted to let me run it as a working demonstration.
I went to a monthly meeting with him armed with pictures of some on my machinetool restorations and the rest is history.
That day, I was brought into the fold of the inner circle and handed my key :cool:

It is quite an honor to be accepted as one of them and to maintain and run a permanent display instead of hauling in my stuff in as I had in the past.
Over the past two months, I have been getting the shaft system in order and prepping the equipment to go live.
The stuff won't just be running, it will be working and cutting metal like it is supposed to.
In all, like anything from days gone by, the shop operation is very dangerous with big wide open belts running from the tops of the machines to common powered shafts fixed to the rafters.
The equipment is "turned on and off" by either a handle that moves the belt from an idler pulley for off to a live one for on it, or like some of the fancier stuff with a dog clutch.
That just adds another element of danger to an already dangerous operation.

We hold the largest excavating show in the word on our grounds where people can see older equipment in operation.

What started out as a small gathering on a local farm has evolved to become what it is today.
An active on site sawmill is used to slab timbers for the buildings there.
We have a coal mining section with operable equipment that moves actual coal all day.
There is an active drilling rig on site.
In front of my shop, we have an active smithy where they are forcing steel with hammers and fire.
Most of the blacksmiths have done or do machinework, so we share common ground.
There is a live steam display beside the smithy run by a friend of mine who has offered to plumb me a steam line to operate my antique two man crosscut reciprocating saw I restored and ran there maybe 15 years ago or so.
She's a beauty and was used in conjunction with a steam powered icecream maker that belongs to another friend who used to make and sell his product to support the show.

Just a taste of some of my likely 100+ years old equipment :D
Shaper
View attachment 69683

Horizontal milling machine with an indexing head
View attachment 69684
Monarch engine lathe
View attachment 69685 Our steam traction engines and both shovels are down due to no longer passing boiler inspections, but we still have a working live steam roller on our grounds too.

And antique tractors, literally hundreds of them on display with two tractor parades around the showgrounds daily.

Because the shop is now mine, I will be camping inside of the shop 3 nights starting Thursday instead of traveling back and forth to home.

As always, I will return with photos from the show and possibly video of me running my shop ;)

I'm just the observer, typically what I do in general... I'm not much of a mechanic, don't have that skill...

One more tractor photo, there are usually far more of them at this show...

Pioneer Acres 11.jpg

But I do enjoy Pioneer Acres for the overall scenes I can photograph that are slightly different... Although I'm not super happy with my results this year, I do like this one... Off to work now!

Pioneer Acres 12.jpg

I'm just the observer, typically what I do in general... I'm not much of a mechanic, don't have that skill...

One more tractor photo, there are usually far more of them at this show...

View attachment 69686
Machinework is what I grew up with and served as a career many times in my life.

I was running our family machining business I was raised in when I got disabled, so now I am the proprietor of a vintage shop 5 days out of the year which to me is about the highest honor I have ever been handed.

I get to show others a trade that is slowly fading away as computerized machinery takes it to the next level.

Being a part of a vision a few men had 41 years ago gives me a renewed purpose while doing something I already love.

New Threads

Top Bottom