• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Views, thoughts on religions?

Think the ability for everybody to talk politely about religions or lack of belief of such is great. There are still places where you can't discuss this or discuss the unhappiness with whoever is in control. I feel some people need religion to help with huge inconsistencies in life so l think it helps people. Personally, l feel no need for this.

Logic is a human's plaything. Deriving every conclusion solely with logic is crippling yourself.

I think though theres something important missed in any discussion about christanity.
I am christan. Im also someone who has read the Bible back to front and front to back. Some of you including the atheists have as well. You speak of their being no evidence of God. But if the evidence was presented to you. Would you not dismiss or say there is another reason for it? You would first have to believe their might be evidence for God. In order to accept any proof. Faith. You have to trust the words written in the Bible are the truth. Absolute belief in each word that is written. Is the absolute truth. No matter how impossible it seems.

The question that springs forth from that is thus.

Say we DO meet our creator. They announce themselves, demonstrate they have the power to create and to end all the world's ills. They show beyond all reasonable doubt that they are the entity responsible for everything. They created our universe and could destroy us if they so choose.
They then ask us why we made up all these stories about good and evil, and a load of rules in their name. Wrote books that we worshipped as if they were literally the words of this god we now know in a tangible way. "Nothing my to do with me, and I don't agree with half of them!" they say "You can't all even agree on my name or what rules I'm supposed to have made."
How do you think the religious people of the world would react? Would they accept their holy stories had human value but had nothing to do with the being they had attributed them to? Would they denounce this god as the wrong god and refuse to believe them? Would they look the other way and pretend it never happened? Would any religions survive the invalidation of their faith?

There is no proof of god or gods, only faith, and that is likely all there ever will be. All these thought experiments prove nothing and only serve to create division as people make up answers for those they perceive as having opposite views. We will never, ever know. We're better off just being content in our own belief systems and leaving everyone else to theirs. No debate, no anger, no religious wars, just peaceful co-existence. Let's have our beliefs, and if we think everyone who believes differently is a deluded fool, let's keep it to ourselves.

The question that springs forth from that is thus.

Say we DO meet our creator. They announce themselves, demonstrate they have the power to create and to end all the world's ills. They show beyond all reasonable doubt that they are the entity responsible for everything. They created our universe and could destroy us if they so choose.
They then ask us why we made up all these stories about good and evil, and a load of rules in their name. Wrote books that we worshipped as if they were literally the words of this god we now know in a tangible way. "Nothing my to do with me, and I don't agree with half of them!" they say "You can't all even agree on my name or what rules I'm supposed to have made."
How do you think the religious people of the world would react? Would they accept their holy stories had human value but had nothing to do with the being they had attributed them to? Would they denounce this god as the wrong god and refuse to believe them? Would they look the other way and pretend it never happened? Would any religions survive the invalidation of their faith?

There is no proof of god or gods, only faith, and that is likely all there ever will be. All these thought experiments prove nothing and only serve to create division as people make up answers for those they perceive as having opposite views. We will never, ever know. We're better off just being content in our own belief systems and leaving everyone else to theirs. No debate, no anger, no religious wars, just peaceful co-existence. Let's have our beliefs, and if we think everyone who believes differently is a deluded fool, let's keep it to ourselves.

You know the Bible has some interesting examples of just that. People meeting him and what happen. Some believed. Some denied. Others were indifferent. The God i know is the must loving and caring being you would ever want to meet. But people must meet him in their own way and time. Faith cannot be forced. This verse helps explain.
Matthew 13 King James Version (KJV)
13 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.

2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid those passages are way off the scenario I described, by quite a long way. No holy book comes close to imagining such an occurrence.

You know the Bible has some interesting examples of just that. People meeting him and what happen. Some believed. Some denied. Others were indifferent. The God i know is the must loving and caring being you would ever want to meet. But people must meet him in their own way and time. Faith cannot be forced. This verse helps explain.
Matthew 13 King James Version (KJV)
13 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.

2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

I’m a little confused about the point you want to make. Are you saying the passages you provided are proof of god meeting people, or proof god exists? Also when you say “people must meet him in their own way and time” must that be in a Christian way or in a biblical based type of experience?

For me, I just can’t conceive of how a human could converse with or experience a god who created space and everything in it including time, from the most minute particle to the hugest galaxy. If I ever thought that was happening to me how would I know if it was real or if I was going insane and imagining it all?

The passage he posted is an example of people's reactions to God. Whether or not you accept the provided proof of God is not the issue (but is exactly what it's about), the point is the examples of people's reactions, a topic which Autistimatic referenced.

Last edited:
Logic is a human's plaything. Deriving every conclusion solely with logic is crippling yourself.
That is so true and it leads me back to the fact that so little, nothing even, is black and white and everything is sooo difficult to understand and interpret. Argh. Then I just go and hide and have a crisis.

That is so true and it leads me back to the fact that so little, nothing even, is black and white and everything is sooo difficult to understand and interpret. Argh. Then I just go and hide and have a crisis.

Acceptance sounds like the thing you're looking for, I think. Accepting a lack of things, i.e. lack of knowledge, lack of certainty, lack of whatever. It's okay to not know.

I think even if someone isn't Christian, it is good practise to try and not to react if some coward tries to bully you i.e. laughs at you, stares at you, talks about you etc. It can be very frustrating at they often try to provoke you and make you feel bad often trying covertly, pretending they are good people too. If you react people could assume you were somehow to blame, it is sad that people can be doing nothing wrong and minding their own business, in fact be friendly and helpful and trying to be good and make the most of life and pathetic bullies try and lie to be good when really they try and bully!

my logic seems to come from what I cling to,which is a very small amount ,one is literally clinging to the Bible, another one seems to be looking at pictures of flowers ,showing affection to animals ,any part of natural that isn’t human , a tiny, tiny bit is communication with humans. i’m getting to the point where I know that is all I know ,I just don’t know anything else ,what I’ve tried to memorise was astounding can barely remember any of it now .
I find it very,very strange that people called me intelligent, all I ever cared about was were they going to frighten me ,the amount I understand is minuscule . One thing your crisis will do is show you what is really important .
The difference between you and I is for whatever reason I do not control things now to a huge extent, when or if you get to where I am the crisis will start to become very normal or every day .

Matthew 7:15 New International Version (NIV)
True and False Prophets
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Some people may say this passage is relevant.

I'm an atheist who isn't interested in religion.

Roughly, 10% of the world are non-religious, atheistic. As a minority, I would at least be interested in why the other 90% of the world believe what they believe.

religions.png

Christian 33.39% (of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, non-religious 9.66%, atheists 2.01% (2010 est.)

I have been reading from the book of psalms again from the holy bible and saw this study guide.
I interpret sections of the psalms that mention wicked people to mean, if you try not to be wicked and mind your own business do nothing wrong maybe even helping someone like an elderly or disabled person, you will have a clear conscious and it can be very pressurised with a lot of wicked around you and that the text in psalms is comforting

My view on the subject is the similar to @Bolletje . I respect religions and their practitioners who respect others right to live as they choose to live. Examples of "respect" in this regard would include the obvious: Don't physically harm or kill anyone who doesn't agree with your religious beliefs. But goes further to include: Not forcing or coercing people to believe what you believe and not ignoring someone's request to refrain from continuing to proselytizing them if they say they're not interested in hearing about, understanding or joining your religion.

I'm also a VERY firm believer in ALL things in life that nothing should be above scrutiny or criticism. I believe this to be the case whether it's science related, lifestyle related or...religion related. If something can't stand up to scrutiny on its own, no matter what it is, then that's a problem. I also believe that humanity has suffered in different ways and during different times in its history precisely because religion has largely been protected from scrutiny.

There are SO many really good videos on Youtube that scrutinize and challenge religion without being from a position of hate. Life is meant to be examined. Stopping or preventing that examination chills me to the bone.

There is no proof of god or gods, only faith, and that is likely all there ever will be.
The New Testament has an interesting truth-claim in this regard.

Romans 1:18-20 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (19) For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. (20) For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

So then, according to the Bible, the proof is all around us and we have been created with the ability to perceive and understand. That makes the denial of the evidence God put before us an intentional (or at least chargeable) act of our own.

New Threads

Top Bottom