• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Views, thoughts on religions?

The New Testament has an interesting truth-claim in this regard.

Romans 1:18-20 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (19) For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. (20) For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

So then, according to the Bible, the proof is all around us and we have been created with the ability to perceive and understand. That makes the denial of the evidence God put before us an intentional (or at least chargeable) act of our own.

It's totally understandable that Christians use the Bible as the primary source document for the proof of or reference to God existing. However, how is that different than saying reincarnation exists because Buddhist texts say that it does? Or to give a current secular analogy: Saying that Darth Vader exists because Star Wars clearly says that he does.

It still comes down to contradictions to me. Every text I have read thus far, several religions, they all have some pretty bad contradictions. Per the bible alone, the same God that everyone claims is love, light, the truth, the way, the righteous...well, this God also said to storm cities, kill all of the men and then do whatever you wanted to with the women and children because it was your right to do so. I don't care about old testament or new testament BS, either because this same God is supposed to know everything that ever was, is and shall be...but for some reason, this same God failed to know any single aspect of how many ways wrong that was...and literally had to create a "son" version of himself to tell everyone that he was mistaken...so, uh...maybe...yeah, just don't do any of that kind of stuff ever again.

Even wilder to me is...why even put it in any religious text at all?!? Why not just do like all of the other victors throughout history that wrote the accounts of what happened, and just say, "what...no...nah, that wasn't me...so and so over in that other place did that....no, I've always done the good stuff only."

It's totally understandable that Christians use the Bible as the primary source document for the proof of or reference to God existing. However, how is that different than saying reincarnation exists because Buddhist texts say that it does? Or to give a current secular analogy: Saying that Darth Vader exists because Star Wars clearly says that he does.
Interesting observations, @Magna. It sounds as though you took me to be offering you the Bible as proof of God’s existence. In fact, I just pointed out that the Bible has a very specific answer to your previous comments.

IMNTHO, it doesn’t matter what you, me, anyone thinks or believes. What is so is so. If everyone on earth decided God doesn’t exist, it wouldn’t change the facts, whatever they may be. If there is a true religion, myriad fakes don’t alter its truth.

It still comes down to contradictions to me. Every text I have read thus far, several religions, they all have some pretty bad contradictions. Per the bible alone, the same God that everyone claims is love, light, the truth, the way, the righteous...well, this God also said to storm cities, kill all of the men and then do whatever you wanted to with the women and children because it was your right to do so. I don't care about old testament or new testament BS, either because this same God is supposed to know everything that ever was, is and shall be...but for some reason, this same God failed to know any single aspect of how many ways wrong that was...and literally had to create a "son" version of himself to tell everyone that he was mistaken...so, uh...maybe...yeah, just don't do any of that kind of stuff ever again.

Even wilder to me is...why even put it in any religious text at all?!? Why not just do like all of the other victors throughout history that wrote the accounts of what happened, and just say, "what...no...nah, that wasn't me...so and so over in that other place did that....no, I've always done the good stuff only."
We spend a lot of time in this forum discussing states of mind and resultant perceptions or beliefs. In that vein, I see among autists an effect very common among NT’s. Something like confirmation bias.

Any religion is an intertwined web of truth claims. Any given faith, it can be a lifetime pursuit to understand how all the pieces fit together, how theory plays out in real time. That makes religion fertile ground for confirmation bias.

Religion has a world full of naysayers, but not as many serious students. Naysayers have heard that religions are riddled with contradictions; when two elements of this unfamiliar paradigm seem contradictory, it’s natural for the uninitiated and the uncommitted observer to buy into the confirmation bias. Not only natural, but usually popular, and a whole lot easier than investigating with an open mind. And the bias is propagated.

Very common NT or ND, religion or politics or driving routes. Easier to just believe what you think you’re supposed to see.

IMNTHO, it doesn’t matter what you, me, anyone thinks or believes. What is so is so. If everyone on earth decided God doesn’t exist, it wouldn’t change the facts, whatever they may be.

I agree with this. It doesn't matter what anyone believes or doesn't because "what is so is so. If everyone on earth decided God exists, it wouldn't change the facts, whatever they may be.

You do have free will and should not be forced to fit any box or follow anything that does not agree with your views.
You should only serve a higher power that cares about you genuinely and serves you at times like they should do good things for you as well and nor expect you to be anything you are not and help.you and understand your struggles and pain and be your best friend and biggest supporter.
Even if God does not really work like that it is natural to want His love and support.
To have dreams amd desires and needs is human even if they do not come true.
I dream of compassion in a hard time, the soul needs it.
Who would ever not go.through a long.illness and not need compassion
I do not know what I need from God but it often I is just something where I know He truly loves me maybe it is something I have to wait for.
I love when we are together
I do not feel like others feel the same or I should be forced to serve others or fit a box they expect.

I’m open minded with religion in general and can accept the fact that not everyone has the same religious beliefs. I am sort of agnostic myself mostly because of the bullying that I had to endure 3very week in Sunday school for three years. I’ll let you believe in whatever you want to believe in even if I don’t agree with the teachings or think that it’s true as long as you don’t try to force your religion onto me.

New Threads

Top Bottom