• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Views, thoughts on religions?

Aspergers_Aspie

I am open minded about Religions, what does everyone think? What do people think about this Bible passage:-

Psalm 10 New Century Version (NCV) ?

I respect other people’s religions, as long as they respect that I’m not religious myself and do not wish to be converted.

Also found this passage:-
2 Thessalonians 2:9
The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie,

I am open minded about Religions, what does everyone think? What do people think about this Bible passage:-

Psalm 10 New Century Version (NCV) ?
May I ask purely out of the autistic need for learning and stimulation !how did you get from I am open-minded about religions ,what does everybody think ?to what do people think about this bible passage !

Psalms 10:18
"to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed,
so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more."

Is this what is being asked about?

I was raised Roman Catholic. I identify as such. I have always felt that religion was good for society. Like Bolletje, I respect other faiths and values.

May I ask purely out of the autistic need for learning and stimulation !how did you get from I am open-minded about religions ,what does everybody think ?to what do people think about this bible passage !
That was my question too! It did seem a bit of a jump.

@Aspergers_Aspie I like religion/s generally and also have no qualms with people who are athiest, agnostic and follow non-religious ways of life or teachings. There is no 'proof' of God, afterall.

There are many ways to interpret religious texts and teachings - as evidenced by the many ways that people of the same religion interpret them. So generally if someone isn't 'hurting' others through their beliefs or practices then I say 'go for it' and I tend to have an overall positive attitude towards religion.

I'm not so keen on religious people, atheists or others who feel the need to constantly put down other groups. It makes my skin crawl.

And I am rarely interested in in-depth discussions on the finer points of people's religious texts.

I don't have a problem with religion itself, however religious people is a different matter. I am under the impression that a great deal of religious people hold literal and superficial interpretations of their own texts, which baffles me to no end.

I can understand some christian beliefs and very insightful discussions can follow from biblical readings, what I can't understand is other people belief's in an actual existence of Eden, talking snakes and virgins giving birth. Same applies for religious texts from other religions.

While priests never hold such literal readings (actual priests, Ph.D in theology or similar), most folks in church seem to have beliefs of this kind. This gives me the impression that some people have let go any reason or critical thinking astray, because of which I consider completely pointless to engage in any discussion with them.

I respect every person's right to their belief, but I personally don't follow a religion. I don't believe in things like higher beings, Heaven and Hell, virgin birth (at least, not for humans because that's just not how humans procreate), angels, devils, etc. I don't believe or am very sceptical of claims for the existence of things when my whole experience of the world says otherwise. I believe that Jesus was a person who existed, was persecuted and executed for what he believed and preached, but I don't believe that he arose from the dead because people don't just do that... and if it did seem to happen, then there is a different, explanation for it, one which today we are perhaps able to understand with the medical knowledge we have, but in past times, people had not such knowledge, believed in superstitions with no or little scientific basis, and therefore found alternative explanations for it. Today we know better and it does surprise me that people continue to believe in such things. But that's the nature of faith: having faith that something is true, even if there is no direct evidence for it, or can't be proved (or disproved), or to continue to believe in something even though scientific evidence and experience says otherwise. People have a right to their faith, whatever that is, I have no problem with that, I only have a problem when those who do believe try to impose their beliefs on me, or judge me for not believing or don't accept my right to my views on the subject.

I believe that religions do have a role in society, but also that religious belief can too easily be exploited for political or financial purposes and that state and religion should be kept as two separate entities. Religions initially came about partially as result of human intelligence and need to understand and rationalise the world around us, to explain the unknown, but also as a result of an awareness of one's own mortality, as the belief in a higher purpose or plan, and an afterlife can bring comfort in the face of mortlity.

Last edited:
I respect every person's right to their belief, but I personally don't follow a religion. I don't believe in things like higher beings, Heaven and Hell, virgin birth (at least, not for humans because that's just not how humans procreate), angels, devils, etc. I don't believe or am very sceptical of claims for the existence of things when my whole experience of the world says otherwise. I believe that Jesus was a person who existed, was persecuted and executed for what he believed and preached, but I don't believe that he arose from the dead because people don't just do that... and if it did seem to happen, then there is a different, explanation for it, one which today we are perhaps able to understand with the medical knowledge we have, but in past times, people had not such knowledge, believed in superstitions with no or little scientific basis, and therefore found alternative explanations for it. Today we know better and it does surprise me that people continue to believe in such things. But that's the nature of faith: having faith that something is true, even if there is no direct evidence for it, or can't be proved (or disproved), or to continue to believe in something even though scientific evidence and experience says otherwise. People have a right to their faith, whatever that is, I have no problem with that, I only have a problem when those who do believe try to impose their beliefs on me, or judge me for not believing or don't except my right to my views on the subject.

I believe that religions do have a role in society, but also that religious belief can too easily be exploited for political or financial purposes and that state and religion should be kept as two separate entities. Religions initially came about partially as result of human intelligence and need to understand and rationalise the world around us, to explain the unknown, but also as a result of an awareness of one's own mortality, as the believe in a higher purpose or plan, and an afterlife can bring comfort in the face of mortlity.
What I find particularly cruel !!!!is when people call the God I believe in a mythical being to me it’s like saying that person’s mother or father is worthless

I think though theres something important missed in any discussion about christanity.
I am christan. Im also someone who has read the Bible back to front and front to back. Some of you including the atheists have as well. You speak of their being no evidence of God. But if the evidence was presented to you. Would you not dismiss or say there is another reason for it? You would first have to believe their might be evidence for God. In order to accept any proof. Faith. You have to trust the words written in the Bible are the truth. Absolute belief in each word that is written. Is the absolute truth. No matter how impossible it seems.

I think though theres something important missed in any discussion about christanity.
I am christan. Im also someone who has read the Bible back to front and front to back. Some of you including the atheists have as well. You speak of their being no evidence of God. But if the evidence was presented to you. Would you not dismiss or say there is another reason for it? You would first have to believe their might be evidence for God. In order to accept any proof. Faith. You have to trust the words written in the Bible are the truth. Absolute belief in each word that is written. Is the absolute truth. No matter how impossible it seems.

The problem we face is not the existence or not-existence of a proof, but what constitutes a "proof" in this case, since we are certainly not talking about logical or scientific proofs. If we move far from physical matters, I believe that another underlying problem we encounter is the lack of a proper definition for "God" - this is essentially what Ignosticism holds.

What I find particularly cruel !!!!is when people call the God I believe in a mythical being to me it’s like saying that person’s mother or father is worthless
Just as I accept that you have different beliefs and ideas to my own, you need to accept that other people have different views to yours - it's not 'cruel' or personal in any way, this is just how the world is, different people believe in different things and we must be accepting and tolerant of all beliefs, that people have the right to believe, or not, as the case might be. People are not cruel because they believe something different to you.

The problem we face is not the existence or not-existence of a proof, but what constitutes a "proof" in this case, since we are certainly not talking about logical or scientific proofs. If we move far from physical matters, I believe that another underlying problem we encounter is the lack of a proper definition for "God" - this is essentially what Ignosticism holds.

The Bible provides interesting context for that. Check Genesis. Lots of useful information.

New Threads

Top Bottom