• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unsure of diagnoses

Cecel

I was evaluated for autism today- and didn’t get sent home with a very clear answer. Instead I was prescribed two medications to try, abilify, and another medication for adhd, an upper I guess. The dr seemed to suggest I exhibited symptoms for both add and autism, but didn’t give me a clear answer (for example “you have autism, you have adhd.”) not only am I frustrated for finally having the courage to get tested and not even getting an outright answer from the doctor, but I’m also nervous about the meds I was prescribed. Why would I need an antipsychotic?(abilify) Is the fact that he prescribed these to me basically a diagnoses in of itself? Any tips from diagnosed individuals on how to get a clear answer? Or anyone who has taken abilify and what it did or didn’t do for them? Anything would be so appreciated. I am nervous and overwhelmed and alone in this endeavor.

Antipsychotics are prescribed to help with adverse mood swings and other emotional or psychological things that can happen with autism. That's aside from the drug's main function of helping Bipolar and other depression-related disorders. Your doctor may be having you try out meds to see how you react to them and if they help level you out. But from personal experience, meds are not always needed and can sometimes be a serious detriment to your well-being. I am not officially diagnosed myself but I am not on meds and I am handling myself fairly well. Some of living and dealing with autism is knowing yourself and figuring out a plan for how you want to handle yourself. Whether it's continuing down the path of meds, or not. You have a lot of avenues to explore. A lot of other members on here know this better than me, but if you need help figuring it out. There are therapies and other services that are made to help you deal with everything that comes with being Autistic.

As far as a direct answer to if I have ever taken this Abilify medication. No, I haven't. This is honestly the first I have heard of it. Though I have taken meds that are similar to it in the past. Depakote and Elavil. Neither did much to help me. From what I know, anyway.

A lot of antipsychotics can be prescribed for other things, like mood stabilization and treating anxiety. I have been on several antipsychotics and I have never had a psychotic episode and I am not bipolar. But I do have very bad anxiety.

Abilify didn’t help me at all and made me kind of agitated and irritable, but also made it harder to feel normal emotions. It kind of just made me grouchy all the time and nothing else.

If possible, it’s probably a good idea to follow up with your psychiatrist and ask some questions about the medication, and how to move forward with getting clearer information on diagnoses.

Hi Cecel and welcome. First off, some great questions there but be assured those are the ones everyone asks themselves!!! And that confusion part, well that's fine as you're thinking of lots of different possibilities. You're interested in yourself and getting understanding. Be way worse if you didn't have interest or the capacity to consider those things.

But can I ask about the assessment today. Was that with a psychologist over several hours, and with a structured process, something that also included a relative? Or was it more of a discussion with a primary care provider, perhaps using a multichoice questionnaire?

If the latter then that's more of a screening test and the GP is trying some things first. There's often a long wait in most parts of the world for the full assessment. Indeed even then, after the assessment the 'full' results often won't be given at the time, but as part of a report a few weeks later that have the details of the insights the psychologist got from all the interviews. So hang fire with too much self evaluation.

The prescription of a medication is not a diagnosis in itself. As others have mentioned, antipsychotics can be used for multiple reasons and are often given to people with autism because of reports of intense anxiety. Risperdal is a common one.

I agree with Duncan74 that this sounds more like a screening than a diagnostic exam. Next time you go, feel free to ask questions to your psychiatrist about a diagnosis and what they are currently thinking.

For me, it is less useful to focus on the diagnosis and more helpful to focus on the symptoms. It’s all about what is bothering you in life and how to overcome it. Many aspects of autism are not necessarily treated by medication, but the comorbidities of anxiety and other mental health issues frequently are.

Hi Cecel and welcome. First off, some great questions there but be assured those are the ones everyone asks themselves!!! And that confusion part, well that's fine as you're thinking of lots of different possibilities. You're interested in yourself and getting understanding. Be way worse if you didn't have interest or the capacity to consider those things.

But can I ask about the assessment today. Was that with a psychologist over several hours, and with a structured process, something that also included a relative? Or was it more of a discussion with a primary care provider, perhaps using a multichoice questionnaire?

If the latter then that's more of a screening test and the GP is trying some things first. There's often a long wait in most parts of the world for the full assessment. Indeed even then, after the assessment the 'full' results often won't be given at the time, but as part of a report a few weeks later that have the details of the insights the psychologist got from all the interviews. So hang fire with too much self evaluation.
It was several random multichoice questionnaires (Which I hate- If the questions aren't explained to me in extreme detail often times I won't understand them) and then an in person hour and a half discussion with a licensed psychiatrist. Just lots of questions about my childhood up until adult hood and whatnot. It just felt more like a "tell us about yourself, okay have some medicine, no further comments."

Ooh, ok, yep that's the assessment. Have you any follow up with them planned? May well be that they have given you an initial diagnosis to take away, but then I'd be expecting that you would have a follow up to talk through some specific areas. Especially the type of support that may help you in varying circumstances.
Either way it is entirely reasonable to go back and explain that the news was a lot to take in at that moment, is there an opportunity to revisit the diagnosis description so that you can fully understand.

Ooh, ok, yep that's the assessment. Have you any follow up with them planned? May well be that they have given you an initial diagnosis to take away, but then I'd be expecting that you would have a follow up to talk through some specific areas. Especially the type of support that may help you in varying circumstances.
Either way it is entirely reasonable to go back and explain that the news was a lot to take in at that moment, is there an opportunity to revisit the diagnosis description so that you can fully understand.
Supposed to see them in four weeks to see how this medication works for me- and reading everyone’s replies on this thread I feel a little bit more confident in how to ask questions and speak up for myself in future appointments. Fingers crossed I get some sort of answers just to soothe my worrying. But I think I better understand how this process will go thanks to you and everyone’s information. We shall see in four weeks time!!

And depends on you. But for that next session then if you think it would help to have someone there with you, then ask the question if that's ok (it will be).

And depends on you. But for that next session then if you think it would help to have someone there with you, then ask the question if that's ok (it will be).
I agree with @Duncan74

Have somebody with you to make sure that the points you want to make and the questions you have are asked. Also they will be able to remember the answers to the questions, which you probably wont be able to do.

Of course, and welcome to the Forums. You have jumped in with some good questions and responses, so keep them coming!

I always take my wife of 20 years when I see a new Dr. I’m not exactly able to be clear with my answers because of 50 years of hiding my ‘symptoms’. She knows me well and can correct most of my inaccurate answers.

I have tried anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, and anti-anxiety medications. They all worked but they all sort of stole my personality. Ultimately I always decided the cure wasn’t any better than the disease.

Try this site:

It’s absolutely the best test I have ever taken. You don’t need to create an account and the results are instant. Might be a good idea to have someone close to you assist with answering the questions. I had trouble being honest because I mask my symptoms so well that I get confused about what is the truth and what I hide so well that even I can’t tell most days.

As for ADHD: It’s common for Asperger’s to exist along side ADD and ADHD. However, Aspies tend to be very quick thinkers and it’s easy for a therapist to confuse a speedy brain with one that just can’t slow down.

I agree with @Duncan74

Have somebody with you to make sure that the points you want to make and the questions you have are asked. Also they will be able to remember the answers to the questions, which you probably wont be able to do.

Of course, and welcome to the Forums. You have jumped in with some good questions and responses, so keep them coming!
I guess I was hesitant to do so originally because “I’m an adult, I should be able to do this on my own.” But.. I think that’s a harmful statement. Seeing lots of people on here who have loved ones go with them to make the visit easier has made me realize I’m being silly. I am going to be more confident with asking questions, being patient wirh the process, and next time I will have someone with me to really get all the information I need to feel like I understand what’s going on. im very glad for all the help and encouragement! Makes me feel better knowing tons of people have gone through this too.

I write down notes when I go to a doctor and then read them during the visit. Some people don't like it, but it's their problem, I'm doing what I need to get things done.

I write down notes when I go to a doctor and then read them during the visit. Some people don't like it, but it's their problem, I'm doing what I need to get things done.
I stopped caring what anyone thinks about me a long time ago. It’s liberating and it makes me more efficient. I got in the habit of sending myself text messages as a way of taking notes as ideas come to mind.

I went to therapy for a month. Never actually diagnosed nor had autism crossed my mind at that point in time.

The bifurcation I found for therapy is either talk therapy that just gives you advice on your specific problems or places won’t give you talk therapy unless your on meds.

I believe no matter your issue; high blood pressure, autism, depression, anxiety etc. therapist, doctors, should offer ways through talking/lifestyle change to initially combat these issues without medicine first… medicine should be the last resort. Except we live in a world littered with convenience, greed and instant gratification which innately counterintuitive to the well being of people’s mental and physical health.

I’m not saying don’t take medicine I’m not saying don’t go to therapy. I’m saying you know yourself better than anyone and use your gut instinct to deduce a probable outcome and error in the side of caution that medicine can be a slippery slope and businesses can be biased to pushing medicine instead of actively listening to your concerns. If medicine worked for life then there would be no reoccurring business.

Last edited:
medicine should be the last resort
The world of ‘managed care’ and ‘insurance’ has created a place where doctors are literally running from one patient to the next, exactly like Amazon delivery drivers are running from house to house. How long before even great Drs are sprinting through the parking lot and throwing prescriptions through the window of your car and snapping a picture so they can justify their time and bill your insurance just do they don’t go bankrupt?

New Threads

Top Bottom