• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unsolicited comments (of any sort)

Well, yesterday was my last shift and I am done with that harassment vortex. This thread will probably die now but it's good to still have it for future reference.

Judge, do you mind if I use your description "one big bizarre vortex for nasty people" in my Glassdoor review? I'll just credit you as 'a friend of mine.'

I was going to add something else to this post but forgot what it was... so I'll just add this song. :D

Last edited:
It's because they're usually teasing and disrespectful, like the "milkmaid" comment I got the other day. And they draw unwanted attention. It makes me feel like a toy.
I have not read all of this thread yet, but it sure has a familair ring to it. I also experienced many problems due to looking very young for my age.

When I got my first regular job I was 21, but almost did not get it because the interviewer had a hard time believing that I was old enough to br legally hired, 16. She requested that I do something to make myself look older when I started working. I decided that wearing a wig might work.

Most of the colors of the wigs that I tried looked very bad on me, one of the colors that was better was a sort of ash blonde. It also had the advantage of making me look even older than my real age, so I got it.

I wore it at work for a while until one of my patients said that she could tell I was wearing a wig, and she thought it would be better if I uncovered my own hair.

The next day I came to work without the wig. Very few people even seemed to notice. I was good at my work and most of my coworkers and patients appreciated that. Most of them treated me with respect, or at least neutrally.

I had the worst time with visitors, who did not know me. One exception was a patient who attempted to grab me in a very rude way. He was old and unsteady, so I just stepped out of his reach and he fell over. Usually I would go to great lengths to prevent a patient from falling. I did not feel bad about that one. I thought he deserved it.

The gist of this is that I do not think it makes a whole lot of difference about how you look. I think what is important is that you satisfy yourself about how you look, and that it gives you self confidence.

I used to joke about comparing makeup to war paint. I said that I wore makeup to give me confidence and frighten the enemy. Lol. I think it could do you good to take the same attitude.

Your comment that the actions of others made you feel like a toy is especially relevant. The bad behavior of others is not friendly teasing, it is a sneaky sort of attack meant to make themselves feel better at your expense. NTs often mask meanness with smiles and by pretending to be joking, especially with vulnerable women.

Not seeming as vulnerable makes you less of a target for such meanness. As someone commented, how you act makes more difference than makeup or hairstyle, although if those adjustments in your appearance give you more confidence, they can help you.

Go to a store with a 3 way mirror and look at your natural stance and adjust it so you seem more confident. Look at yourself walking in window reflections and practice a confident stride until it becomes second nature. Last of all, do what you can to frighten the enemy.

You already know how to make hurtful comments back and are restraining yourself to keep your job. There are expressions that you can let out on your face that show that you could verbally decimate the enemy. One of those looks is worth a thousand words, and is much safer for keeping your job than saying some of those words. People have told me that I really scare them with one of those looks. You can learn to do that too.

I have not read all of this thread yet, but it sure has a familair ring to it. I also experienced many problems due to looking very young for my age.

When I got my first regular job I was 21, but almost did not get it because the interviewer had a hard time believing that I was old enough to br legally hired, 16. She requested that I do something to make myself look older when I started working. I decided that wearing a wig might work.

Most of the colors of the wigs that I tried looked very bad on me, one of the colors that was better was a sort of ash blonde. It also had the advantage of making me look even older than my real age, so I got it.

I wore it at work for a while until one of my patients said that she could tell I was wearing a wig, and she thought it would be better if I uncovered my own hair.

The next day I came to work without the wig. Very few people even seemed to notice. I was good at my work and most of my coworkers and patients appreciated that. Most of them treated me with respect, or at least neutrally.

I had the worst time with visitors, who did not know me. One exception was a patient who attempted to grab me in a very rude way. He was old and unsteady, so I just stepped out of his reach and he fell over. Usually I would go to great lengths to prevent a patient from falling. I did not feel bad about that one. I thought he deserved it.

The gist of this is that I do not think it makes a whole lot of difference about how you look. I think what is important is that you satisfy yourself about how you look, and that it gives you self confidence.

I used to joke about comparing makeup to war paint. I said that I wore makeup to give me confidence and frighten the enemy. Lol. I think it could do you good to take the same attitude.

Your comment that the actions of others made you feel like a toy is especially relevant. The bad behavior of others is not friendly teasing, it is a sneaky sort of attack meant to make themselves feel better at your expense. NTs often mask meanness with smiles and by pretending to be joking, especially with vulnerable women.

Not seeming as vulnerable makes you less of a target for such meanness. As someone commented, how you act makes more difference than makeup or hairstyle, although if those adjustments in your appearance give you more confidence, they can help you.

Go to a store with a 3 way mirror and look at your natural stance and adjust it so you seem more confident. Look at yourself walking in window reflections and practice a confident stride until it becomes second nature. Last of all, do what you can to frighten the enemy.

You already know how to make hurtful comments back and are restraining yourself to keep your job. There are expressions that you can let out on your face that show that you could verbally decimate the enemy. One of those looks is worth a thousand words, and is much safer for keeping your job than saying some of those words. People have told me that I really scare them with one of those looks. You can learn to do that too.

Regarding keeping my job... yeah, it's obvious you haven't read the whole thread yet. :p I won't spoil it for you.

Along with the makeup I did act cold and aloof a lot, sometimes walking around the store with a consious frown or scowl and ignoring everyone, but was still relentlessly harassed. You'll see a prime example of that in the last incident I report here. And sometimes people even think my anger is amusing. Think little Shirley Temple acting grumpy; people think it's cute and funny. Because of my gender and physical appearance alone - things I have no control over - I don't get respect.

As long as people choose to be disgusting, there's no escape for me except to avoid working with the public.

Regarding keeping my job... yeah, it's obvious you haven't read the whole thread yet. :p I won't spoil it for you.

Along with the makeup I did act cold and aloof a lot, sometimes walking around the store with a consious frown or scowl and ignoring everyone, but was still relentlessly harassed. You'll see a prime example of that in the last incident I report here. And sometimes people even think my anger is amusing. Think little Shirley Temple acting grumpy; people think it's cute and funny. Because of my gender and physical appearance alone - things I have no control over - I don't get respect.

As long as people choose to be disgusting, there's no escape for me except to avoid working with the public.

Cold and aloof does not work, as you already found out. Fear is what you really need to get anywhere. Avoiding the public does help some, but is not entirely effective. People who choose to be disgusting really get around so they are hard to avoid. Even if you manage to work entirely in the part of the library where the public is not allowed, you will probably run across some obnoxious coworkers.

It seems horrible for you to have to suffer through the same awful stuff I went through. A searing dirty look is what made a lot of difference for me. It helps to think of what you would like to do to the offending person when you look at them. Even if you still look very cute that can work.

I hope you find the refuge you seek in your library job.

New Threads

Top Bottom