• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unmasking Autism: Discovering the New Faces of Neurodiversity

Unmasking Autism: Discovering the New Faces of Neurodiversity 2023-02-21

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
VictorR submitted a new resource:

Unmasking Autism: Discovering the New Faces of Neurodiversity - A self-help book for Autists to unmask and be themselves

“For years, I’ve been using my skills as a social psychologist to make sense of the scientific literature on Autism, and connecting with Autistic activists, researchers, and therapists to develop a rich understanding of our neurotype. I’ve also worked on unmasking myself, getting in touch with the vulnerable, erratic, odd version of me I’d been socially conditioned to hide… I want every Autistic person to feel the massive relief and sense of community I found by recognizing myself and...

Read more about this resource...

Chapter List

Introduction: Alienation

1. What is Autism, Really?
  • Defining Autism
  • “Typical” Autism
  • Why is Autism Synonymous with White Boys Who Love Trains?
  • Suspect You’re Autistic?
  • A Few Notes on Terminology
2 Who Are the Masked Autistics?
  • Autistic Women and Gender Minorities
  • Black and Brown Autistics
  • Highly Verbal and Outgoing Autistics
  • Autistics with Other Conditions
  • “Highly Functioning” Autistics
  • Meeting Masked Autistics and Finding Your Place in the Community
3 The Anatomy of the Mask
  • What is Masking?
  • The Double Bind of Being “Well-Behaved”
  • Masking as Overcorrection
4 The Cost of Masking
  • Problem Drinking and Substance Use
  • Eating-Disordered Behavior
  • Detachment and Dissociation
  • Adherence to Rigid Rules and Belief Systems
  • Fawning and Compulsive People Pleasing
5 Rethinking Autism
  • Rethinking Autism Stereotypes
  • Celebrating Special Interests
  • Rediscovering Your Values
  • Feeling Gratitude for Your Autism – and Your Past
6 Building an Autistic Life
  • Divergent Design
  • Reimagine Success and Time
  • Do Your Own Thing, Your Own Way
  • Be Radically Visible
7 Cultivating Autistic Relationships
  • Self-Disclose – When It Makes Sense To
  • Cultivating Unmasked Friendships – Find Your “Strawberry” People
  • Communicate Clearly and Honestly
  • Letting Go of Neurotypical Expectations
  • Finding (and Making) Your Community
8 Creating a Neurodiverse World
  • Expanded Legal Protections for Disabled People
  • Broadened Social Norms
  • Expanded Public and Professional Education on Neurodiversity
  • Universal Health Care and Basic Income
  • Abolition of Carceral Systems
  • Unmasking is for Everyone
Conclusion: Integration

Acknowledgements

Notes

Index

Review #34

I’ll start by saying that this is truly an exceptional book, so much so that by the time I had finished reading the introduction, I felt that this book was on the path for my perfect 6.0 rating, and by the time I had gone through the first chapter, barring any hiccups, I knew that this book was a work that is truly transformative – both in what it can bring to autistic persons, but also in helping redefine the field of writing on autism.

Like many of us on the spectrum, Price got to reading people and situations so much that it lead them into the field of psychology, where he obtained his PhD, but it was only after doing so that a family member mentioned the spectrum, which lead them into a deep dive into the topic.

What makes this book particularly powerful is that it is beautifully written, pairing heartfelt memoir and significant vulnerability in revisiting their past along with stories and anecdotes of other autistic persons with a survey of many key academic research over the past decade to provide a contemporary take on autism and the many challenges faced by individuals on the spectrum. It is also the first academic work that I'm aware of to significantly depart from the medical model and to dive into the social model of disability.

Each chapter could be read on its own as a well formed essay with introduction, body, and summary / conclusion (some also have exercises for the readers to complete), but the chapters also flow together.

The book is also one of the few to consider intersectionalities, and when I saw a mention of gender non-conformity very early on (Price also goes over and compares the process of demasking to coming out of the closet for 2SLGBTQ+ persons), I was encouraged because while there are many double rainbow (autistic 2SLGBTQ+) persons, and many are active on social media, there are few books written from such perspectives, and the author takes care to highlight some of the additional barriers to diagnosis, daily living, and acceptance faced by those with intersectionalities.

Something that I also appreciated was a critical view of existing literature – including calling out on oft-cited studies that suggest that autistic underemployment is at 85% (he notes that higher quality cross-sectional research puts it closer to 40%) and that parents of Autistic children had an 80% divorce rate (simply not true and ridiculous).

The chapter list provided above gives you a glimpse of the topics that are covered.

Of note, the author’s journey included extensive review of autism as it’s presented by autists in social media, including Youtube, TikTok, blogs, and other formats. This is rather different from my own journey, which was mostly blogs, forums, and books, but highlights the importance of the many different mediums that information is now disseminated from and that there is no one-size-fits-all.

The overarching objective is to help autistic persons unmask, and live life more as and for themselves than for the sake of others, and I think that for any adult and youth on the spectrum, that this is a must-have for any personal library and to review again now and then with its exercises. Price does acknowledge that not everyone will be able to fully unmask and that for some, it may be unsafe, but this is a raison d’etre for those of us who can, to advocate for changes that bring about a better world, not just for the neurodiverse community, but all people.

I'll close my review with a quote from the conclusion:

Devon Price said:
“To unmask is to lay bare a proud face of noncompliance, to refuse to buckle under the weight of neurotypical demands. It’s an act of bold activism as well as a declaration of self-worth. To unmask is to refuse to be silenced, to stop being compartmentalized and hidden away, and to stand powerfully in our wholeness alongside other disabled and marginalized folks. Together we can stand strong and free, shielded by the powerful, radical acceptance that comes only when we know who we are, and with the recognition that we never had anything to hide."

Score: 6.0/6.0, with commendation

Last edited:
Great review, Victor! I read this book on my annual vacation last fall, and it's a very enjoyable memory. I found the book moving and empowering.

Thank you for the review. It definitely piqued my interest enough to want to put it on my list of books I'd like to read and I rarely read books due to ADHD challenges and reading.

"Devon Price said:

“To unmask is to lay bare a proud face of noncompliance, to refuse to buckle under the weight of neurotypical demands. It’s an act of bold activism as well as a declaration of self-worth. To mask is to refuse to be silenced, to stop being compartmentalized and hidden away, and to stand powerfully in our wholeness alongside other disabled and marginalized folks. Together we can stand strong and free, shielded by the powerful, radical acceptance that comes only when we know who we are, and with the recognition that we never had anything to hide."

^ @VictorR , do you know offhand if the third sentence in the quote above was meant to say: "To unmask" rather than "To mask"?

Last edited:
I’ll start by saying that this is truly an exceptional book, so much so that by the time I had finished reading the introduction, I felt that this book was on the path for my perfect 6.0 rating
That's the feeling I got from reading the chapter list just now! Great review. It definitely makes me want to read it when I have the opportunity to.

Honest question, but what does the 2S in 2SLGBTQ+ mean? I've never seen that before.

Two-spirit is a term used to refer to a person who identifies as having a male and a female spirit within, and may be used by some Indigenous people to describe their sexual, gender and /or spiritual identity.

This book was recommended to me a few months back and I ended up borrowing it from my library and I'll be 100% and say this: reading this book, taking in everything that I read in it, and taking a few days to process it all is what gave me the courage to push past the imposter syndrome and self-doubt I was struggling with and be able to admit to myself that I am, in fact, autistic and that I've always been autistic.

I honestly could've read the whole thing in one sitting because it was that engrossing to me but I also had to stop about halfway through and take a break for about a day because it was also getting too real and raw for me. I could relate to so much of what was written in the book that I was starting to get angry at the fact that there'd clearly been something going on with me my entire life that I'd never gotten help and support for. Had to take a break because I would've gotten too overwhelmed by it all.

@Magna - that's an transcription error on my part, sorry about that. I've fixed it now.

@Stuttermabolur - To add to Thinx's explanation, the 2S preface shows up in Canadian abbreviation "2SLGBTQ+" (the author, who is American, used "LGBTQ" in the book) to recognize that two-spirited persons have long been a part of many Indigenous cultures of North America / Turtle Island.

Great review, Victor! I read this book on my annual vacation last fall, and it's a very enjoyable memory. I found the book moving and empowering.
I loved this book! It was the first book related to autism that we read together. It was both relatable and eye-opening at the same time.

This book was recommended to me a few months back and I ended up borrowing it from my library and I'll be 100% and say this: reading this book, taking in everything that I read in it, and taking a few days to process it all is what gave me the courage to push past the imposter syndrome and self-doubt I was struggling with and be able to admit to myself that I am, in fact, autistic and that I've always been autistic.

I honestly could've read the whole thing in one sitting because it was that engrossing to me but I also had to stop about halfway through and take a break for about a day because it was also getting too real and raw for me. I could relate to so much of what was written in the book that I was starting to get angry at the fact that there'd clearly been something going on with me my entire life that I'd never gotten help and support for. Had to take a break because I would've gotten too overwhelmed by it all.
I agree with you! I felt the same things which you felt.

I read the "masking section" about the emotion vs what is portrayed to mask. Literally all of them I have used or is a still apart of my personality style. They are tools that I have found to work across the board. Now trying to differentiate between my masked self and true core self to me is indistinguishable when I have been accumulating/sharpening these skills for decades. They are subconscious now. I don't feel it is hampering me from being who Iam or depleting my energy necessarily. Do I really know who I am?

Great book! One of my first recommends to clients who come in with autistic burnout. Had a client ask me "what do you mean with lean into my needs? Then it's just like giving up!" - this book wonderfully explains why it is not giving up to unmask and demand accommodation from others and ourselves.

I just started reading this - about halfway through. Great book. And I don’t say that lightly.

It frames autism in a way that makes sense to me and the way I see the world.

I'm reading this book right now and connect with it a lot. This is the first book on autism I've read before and sometimes it feels like they took moments from my life and shared them on the page. It's cathartic to know there are others like me out there. Of course, that's why I'm here I suppose.

New Threads

Top Bottom