• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Uninstall Firefox on Chrome OS?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
So I was advised on here last week to download ARC Welder from ther Chrome Store, I tried it and got Firefox browser to work, but the browser is too slow for my needs, I need to uninstall and go back to using Chrome browser.

I have looked in the tools menu on Chrome as per instructions from Google (yes, I do know how to use it!) but I can't find the Firefox app to delete.

Can anyone help? Preferably without just telling me to use Google.

Er.... why not just start the Chrome browser like you normally would? Dont tell me it forced you to DELETE Chrome's browser in order to make Firefox work? That's.... that's not how computers are supposed to work... I cant imagine that anyone would actually make this ARC thing if it did THAT. The whole point was so that you could have a second browser that you *could* use if you saw the need. Not to have a browser that outright replaced it....

Er.... why not just start the Chrome browser like you normally would? Dont tell me it forced you to DELETE Chrome's browser in order to make Firefox work? That's.... that's not how computers are supposed to work... I cant imagine that anyone would actually make this ARC thing if it did THAT. The whole point was so that you could have a second browser that you *could* use if you saw the need. Not to have a browser that outright replaced it....

That seems to be what's happened.

Grr, I hate Chrome OS but I'm stuck with it because my Brother won't support me if I go back on Windows and I kind of need his technical support because I can't afford to be constantly taking my Desktop to PC World when there's stuff wrong.

I have uninstalled ARC Welder and deleted the TAR file to install Firefox, but the Firefox page in the browser is still there.

HELP!

And no, I am not using Google, I already have and can't find how to remove the thing.

Last edited:
If ARC Welder was required as an App Runtime extension to install and run Firefox via the Chrome OS, wouldn't it seem logical that you'd also need it just to delete Firefox?

Reinstall ARC Welder and then see if you are provided the means to uninstall Firefox. Though I can't say if you'll also need to reinstall Firefox as well just to get rid of it.

That seems to be what's happened.

Grr, I hate Chrome OS but I'm stuck with it because my Brother won't support me if I go back on Windows and I kind of need his technical support because I can't afford to be constantly taking my Desktop to PC World when there's stuff wrong.

I have uninstalled ARC Welder and deleted the TAR file to install Firefox, but the Firefox page in the browser is still there.

HELP!
You don't need your brother or PC World (whatever that is, I live in the US) to help you fix errors. In fact, Windows diagnostics tells you exactly what caused the errors and how to fix them. You can also, you know, call MS tech and customer support. They even ask you if they can take control of your PC through Remote Desktop to show you exactly how to fix it. They are also very helpful and provide easier customer services with customers with all sorts of disabilities, including autism. It should work better. Chrome OS, much like Mac OS, is an insanely "child-proofed" OS, meaning that you can't do much on it, since they think you'll break your system if you tried to fix it yourself. Microsoft's customer support is one reason why they are one of the best tech companies, after all.

If ARC Welder was required as an App Runtime extension to install and run Firefox via the Chrome OS, wouldn't it seem logical that you'd also need it just to delete Firefox?

Reinstall ARC Welder and then see if you are provided the means to uninstall Firefox. Though I can't say if you'll also need to reinstall Firefox as well just to get rid of it.

ARC Welder didn't work.

All that was on the Web Store was an unofficial version.

Care to try again?

You don't need your brother or PC World (whatever that is, I live in the US) to help you fix errors. In fact, Windows diagnostics tells you exactly what caused the errors and how to fix them. You can also, you know, call MS tech and customer support. They even ask you if they can take control of your PC through Remote Desktop to show you exactly how to fix it. They are also very helpful and provide easier customer services with customers with all sorts of disabilities, including autism. It should work better. Chrome OS, much like Mac OS, is an insanely "child-proofed" OS, meaning that you can't do much on it, since they think you'll break your system if you tried to fix it yourself. Microsoft's customer support is one reason why they are one of the best tech companies, after all.

PC World.

Also, I don't trust anyone to remote access my PC, not even MS... Except my Brother.

Unofficial versions are most likely scams, since they may have altered code in order to gather information on you, while you think it's doing what it normally does. ARC Welder and similar compatibility layers are often faster than you described. Even though you installed it, it has gathered too much information on you. I suggest either wiping the SSD/HDD or installing a new internal storage drive into your Chromebook altogether, and only back up the files that are most important to you. Also, it may STILL be gathering info, since the devs of the fake version you installed will already have your IP address and device's serial number, as well as all of it's components' serial numbers.

ARC Welder didn't work.

Care to try again?

The whole point of ARC Welder was to properly run a RAM-friendly Android version of Firefox on the Chrome OS. The egg coming first, then the chicken.

ARC Welder

You might also consider downloading it from other sources besides the Chrome store. Not sure if you can access this with a different OS or not. This one says "windows" but it still appears to be an extension (ver. 4.26.16) for Google's native operating system- Chrome:

ARC Welder (Windows)

Last edited:
Also, I don't trust anyone to remote access my PC, not even MS... Except my Brother.
Dude, MS has standards for their employees. Also, you can also cut the employee's feed if you notice them doing anything shady and unexpected.

MS doesn't use customer service to gather info on users. That would go against basically every privacy law ever.

This I can understand. To be totally honest, I dont trust *anyone* with this machine.... even immediate family. It's not a matter of "trust", really... it's a matter of "they have no clue what they're doing and will screw it up". Frankly I dont quite trust them with their own PCs, which is likely why I end up being the one to fix the bloody things when they inevitably go nuts.

Honestly though? This sounds like something you might want to try to sort out. Instead of having to rely on your brother, or on random people in this site, wouldnt it make more sense to start learning this stuff for yourself? I mean, one way or another, the world runs on tech of this sort now. This knowledge and skill is important. And you've frequently mentioned the idea of getting into development (correct me if I'm remembering that wrong, but I'm relatively certain it was you). I can tell you right now, no matter what sort of game or software development you want to do, they ALL will *expect* that you know your way around a PC, and wont tolerate a lack of knowledge in that category. But what's more, I PROMISE you, you cannot get anywhere learning to code/design without that background knowledge. It just wont work/happen. Or if it does, it'll be 10x slower than it would be with the proper base knowledge, and there'll be broken, messed up bits all over the place.

The next time you get a computer problem.... dont ask on here. Try to fix it on your own. I dont mean use Google. I mean give it a real, proper go... not just spend 5 minutes on it and get frustrated. Even if it takes a week of constant effort, try it anyway. ALOT of computer problems can be fixed by experimentation and learning the various parts on your own. Hell, that's how I do it. I'm frequently called in to fix problems for some damn program I've never seen before. Typically manage it anyway. I remember one time, fixing a friend's machine, I ended up deep in the BIOS or some weird place like that, facing screens and things that I'd never seen before, didnt quite understand (not that I let my friend know that). But some poking and prodding (carefully) gave the understanding that solved the problem.... no need for Google or anything. Computers are not quite as obtuse as they might seem (as long as you use common sense). And again, if you ever want to get a tech-related job, you'll be expected to do this sort of thing in any case.

New Threads

Top Bottom