• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Two Louisiana Teachers fired after mocking autistic student

Isadoorian

Welcomer of Newcomers
V.I.P Member
Two Louisiana teachers fired after mocking autistic student in audio recording during class ~ STRN NEWS
---
Transcript of the above article:

Two teachers from Louisiana have been fired for making fun of a severely autistic student.

An audio clip captured the Hope Academy faculty members, who have not been named, apparently mocking and making inappropriate comments about Camden Davis, 12.

The boy's mother, Milissa Davis, sent her son to school with a recording device in his backpack after he became aggressive at home and wet the bed, WBRZ reported.

She then heard the teacher and the teacher's assistant taunting the young boy.

'You're just writing the word. What is hard about it?' an adult can be heard saying as the boy grunted in response. The adult then imitated the noise.

The teacher then said: 'Camden, why don't you have anything written down? That's why you can't sit with everyone. Tell your momma that.'

An adult could also be heard saying, 'Let's see what they do with him in [deleted] public school. He was going to go to Live Oak Middle. Uh ah, he wouldn't make it for a minute.'

Davis she was devastated by what she heard. 'I just wanted to cry, scream, and do everything I could because it was so bad.'

'To think that I had sent my son there every day, and what had happened before, that I didn't know about.'

Davis has hired attorney Charlotte McGehee because of the situation and plans to file complaints with the Department of Education.

'If they're special needs, look at the situation as to why your child is acting that way, because no child deserves to go through what my child did,' she said.

Principal Linda Stone said, 'This is incredibly unfortunate, and we sincerely apologize to the family. We continue to welcome a meeting with the family.'

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a group of conditions related to brain development, including autism and Asperger's syndrome, according to the Mayo Clinic.

People with autism may have difficulty picking up on social cues and perform repetitive behaviors, the organization says.
---

What a sad story. That poor little boy. I wonder how often this sort of thing occurs.

I'm pretty sure I shared a similar story a year or two back where a Teacher or maybe it was a Teacher's Aide dragged a Student by the arm or leg and the student was autistic.

This is sad and horrible :cry:
And also a bit triggering for me because a big part of my trauma history is being abused and tormented in school by staff (I was a victim of a residential school but I don’t feel comfortable discussing it at this point in time. The school has a very bad reputation and they have since passed an act and strict regulations regarding residential schools in Massachusetts, where I live.)
It breaks my heart that teachers and school staff treat students with disabilities like this. The education system is still pretty flawed and can be biased against special-needs and disabled students in America. I sincerely hope that these horrific incidents can be dealt with properly and eliminated going forward.

This is sad and horrible :cry:
And also a bit triggering for me because a big part of my trauma history is being abused and tormented in school by staff (I was a victim of a residential school but I don’t feel comfortable discussing it at this point in time. The school has a very bad reputation and they have since passed an act and strict regulations regarding residential schools in Massachusetts, where I live.)
It breaks my heart that teachers and school staff treat students with disabilities like this. The education system is still pretty flawed and can be biased against special-needs and disabled students in America. I sincerely hope that these horrific incidents can be dealt with properly and eliminated going forward.
I hope you don’t mind me asking this but do you live in or near Canton?

If a family has the resources, homeschooling sometimes is best for Autistic kids. You can go at their pace and explore their special interests as enrichment. Plus there's less peer abuse and abuse from teachers.

You don't have to worry about grading. Homeschooling can be all about knowledge assimilated, and experiences had, rather than just rote memorization and test performance.

There was one year where we were learning about the Oregon Trail, so we went to the Historical Society museum every afternoon for a month. We memorized all the exhibits and all the little films. It was such an aspie place.

Afterward, we'd hit the beautiful 3 story Central Library, and dive into books.

We'd go to Safeway and buy sandwich makin's and have a picnic on a park bench, across the street from the Historical Society.

My daughter got so much out of it. It was an amazing time.

Other years, she was really into science, so we went to the Science and Industry museum and the library every day for a couple weeks.

Now, I don't know what to do. She says that her schoolbooks aren't hard enough, and that her life is too boring. She wants her mind to be truly stimulated. She's almost eighteen. I'm trying to convince her to look for a group of high school seniors that plans on hiking the Pacific Crest trail after graduation.

There is so much learning that doesn't happen in school. Many of the important, real life lessons are outside of the classroom. And there are so many wonderful, free thinking families to meet at homeschool meet ups. The kids eyes sparkle with fun and imagination in a way that kids at public school don't.

If a family has the resources, homeschooling sometimes is best for Autistic kids. You can go at their pace and explore their special interests as enrichment. Plus there's less peer abuse and abuse from teachers.

You don't have to worry about grading. Homeschooling can be all about knowledge assimilated, and experiences had, rather than just rote memorization and test performance.

There was one year where we were learning about the Oregon Trail, so we went to the Historical Society museum every afternoon for a month. We memorized all the exhibits and all the little films. It was such an aspie place.

Afterward, we'd hit the beautiful 3 story Central Library, and dive into books.

We'd go to Safeway and buy sandwich makin's and have a picnic on a park bench, across the street from the Historical Society.

My daughter got so much out of it. It was an amazing time.

Other years, she was really into science, so we went to the Science and Industry museum and the library every day for a couple weeks.

Now, I don't know what to do. She says that her schoolbooks aren't hard enough, and that her life is too boring. She wants her mind to be truly stimulated. She's almost eighteen. I'm trying to convince her to look for a group of high school seniors that plans on hiking the Pacific Crest trail after graduation.

There is so much learning that doesn't happen in school. Many of the important, real life lessons are outside of the classroom. And there are so many wonderful, free thinking families to meet at homeschool meet ups. The kids eyes sparkle with fun and imagination in a way that kids at public school don't.

Agreed. I think regular school just breaks kids’ spirits and kills their curiosity and enjoyment in learning.

I feel like I've heard of Hope Academy and their reputation that is the complete opposite of what they're named after. Glad they fired the teachers though.

There's sadness in it, of course, but this is actually a story of victory. It's very common for someone to do something awful and not have repercussions, but they actually fired the teachers. Victory!

I am so glad l could homeschool my aspie child. She wrote stories, she read many books, she enjoyed lots of field trips. I think by 7th grade, she requested public school. So by the second day, she called me and told me to come and get her. Lol. She said no way, they were so behind from what she already learned. So then we switched over to online curriculum. And in HS, she went to a really neat performing arts high school, which brought her out of her shell. There were plenty of socially awkward kids such as herself there. I am so thankful for that school. I was kinda unsure what to do also.

I bet it’s frighteningly common.

I'd bet that it is more common in private schools than public schools. Private schools are largely unregulated, put too much emphasis on religion and sports, can hire any old unqualified dirt-bags off the streets as "teachers", lack training and supervisory oversight, etc., etc. This is just my personal observation after raising children and watching my grandchildren starting to attend school. IMHO, in my state, special needs children fare better in public schools.

New Threads

Top Bottom