• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tummy speaking with Dr's visit, highish blood pressure and stereotyping

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Does anyone else's tummy "speak" to them when forced silence is about ie dr's surgery, for example?

Wish I could zone out, but doesn't happen; hyper aware instead.

Dr is not too bad actually and insisted on taking my blood pressure, which caused a frown on her face to appear and said: mmmm a bit high; are you anxious? I ascertained that indeed I was very anxious and she said, that was probably why my blood pressure was a bit high. Then the fun part! Why are you anxious? Are you like this all the time? Etc etc and due to feeling cornered I blurted out that I have aspergers and she said: are you not just timid? Then: I really do not think you have aspergers because I have a few autistic patients who I see and there is no comparison. I felt like I was put in a corner and had all fingers pointing at me! Not helped by hubby saying that I a like a horse and insist I have aspergers, despite not being professionally diagnosed! He did however add that aspergers is a different form of autism ( what? He confuses me lol) How come he knows, and yet acts like m enemy?

She says she thinks I need to see a psychiatrist and I explained that it would have to be in my native language. Agrees that the process for aspergers is long and complicated and there is no pill to take to cure it. Glad she said that, because my husband is more inclined to take her word for it, than my own.

He also said that he was not there to aid in the language ( for actually, I did pretty well lol) but there to support me and she said she understood.

I did not get the impression it was two against one though, which is ok but really do not like this tagging. So because I am not a classic case of autism, I am shot down that I can't be aspergers!!

Anyway, I am not going to further this; she has not insisted and thus I won't.

Now getting blood work done and so, we shall see.

I do not enjoy silence because it makes me horrendously nervous and hate the notion that I am timid lol

If you had Classical Autism, you would not have Aspergers. How could your doctor miss that? Not having Classical Autism obviously does not excluse Aspergers.

What did your husband mean by "like a horse"? Did he mean "healthy as a horse"? I still don't see how that would preclude aspergers. Maybe you should try to see your doctor without him there?

If you had Classical Autism, you would not have Aspergers. How could your doctor miss that? Not having Classical Autism obviously does not excluse Aspergers.

What did your husband mean by "like a horse"? Did he mean "healthy as a horse"? I still don't see how that would preclude aspergers. Maybe you should try to see your doctor without him there?

Sorry about that: horse as in: narrow vision. I say I have aspergers and thus, no matter what others may say, I am not listening; obsessed that I have aspergers.

Because the dr is looking "within the box" and so, because I can talk and do not look differently and was not stimming etc etc she doesn't think I have autism. But my husband did actually say that aspergers is on the spectrum and so, of course, I am not going to be like a classic autistic person. She agreed but said the process to be tested for aspergers is very very long winded ie takes a long time.

I guess the only time I should go through this laborious testing, is if concessions for me in life, could happen; sort of take advantage of the system.

She did however ask me if I can go to our local baker shop on my own and when I bowed my head in shame ( because I felt close to tears) and whispered that I cannot do that, she goes: I thought so. Classified me timid rather than aspergers lol but it is weird because in England: Timid and shy are different, but in France; one and the same thing!

My husband did pipe up and say that I run in and out of obsessions so fast, but she just said I need to see a psychiatrist which I guess if I were in England I would be; doesn't bother me, for I hate living like this ie the extreme vulnerability when on my own outside my home!

If you mean your tummy starts growling like a blood thristy bear then yes, it's caused by nerves in my case.
Sorry you had to endure the "but you dont have AS" from a doc of all people. Thats why I keep quiet.
It's the brave ones like you Suzanne who will help the world understand what AS is and is'nt.....I'll just go back and hide in my cubby hole now so no-one can see me ;)

If you mean your tummy starts growling like a blood thristy bear then yes, it's caused by nerves in my case.
Sorry you had to endure the "but you dont have AS" from a doc of all people. Thats why I keep quiet.
It's the brave ones like you Suzanne who will help the world understand what AS is and is'nt.....I'll just go back and hide in my cubby hole now so no-one can see me ;)

Yes, indeed my tummy growls sooo much that I feel like dying of shame and spend the time, endeavoring to stop it getting too loud!

I had no intention of mentioning aspergers, but she was pretty concerned about my high blood pressure and I guess wanting to find out if I suffer anxiety just occasionally or all the time, and me not being able to "lie" found myself blurting out that I am aspergers which of course got her to say: confirmed? And once again, that: "can't lie" comes into play and admitted that no, not officially confirmed.

I did not really take her: I honestly do not think you have this, because she is not a professional in that area and lol her being French tallies with: I see a few autistic ones and you really do not exhibit those symptoms.

I do not think I am brave actually, but thanks awfully in saying I am. Nope, I am more the one to go back into my cubby hole lol

I find that so annoying, when people decide that they can diagnose you when they are seeing you for the first time, have done no testing, don't know your personal history, but oh yes, there is no way that you can be Aspie! Incredible. :rolleyes:

I find that so annoying, when people decide that they can diagnose you when they are seeing you for the first time, have done no testing, don't know your personal history, but oh yes, there is no way that you can be Aspie! Incredible. :rolleyes:

Sooo true! I admit I was fuming inside, that she bases her "verdict" on others who are not aspies and yet claims to know what aspergers is! I could tell that because I do not look autistic that is why she decided I can't be.

I couldn't help a parting shot of: I am my best online and have joined this forum for aspies ( she gave raised eyes look) and said that they help me enormously to get to know myself and to be more positive.

I already suspected that I would get shot down in flames, but hey it isn't easy when it happens lol

I think that doctors and even some psychologists or psychiatrists don't know much about ASDs beyond the now outdated textbooks they read while in medical school, and when they receive an enquiry they refer that person to an expert and don't research it themselves. I once went to a doctor here, a psychiatrist, and he ws very surprised that I had been diagnosed because, according to him, it is never diagnosed in adults, only in children.

Suzanne, I'm proud of you. You have AMAZING courage and strength-- yes, even when you don't feel so. You are an inspiration.:rose: I'd sit down quietly right next to you, and pour us a hot cuppa tea with some good biscuits.:coffee::coffee::cookie::cookie:

You handled yourself well. I am hoping those blood tests come back with whatever information is needed, so that you and your doctor can have a treatment plan you can feel good about.

I also get a deafeningly growly tummy when I'm anxious. Happens only in THE most embarrassing places.... i.e., in the can-hear-a-pin-drop meditation hall at my Buddhist Zendo. :fearscream: Surrounded by the whole Sangha. :tonguewink:

May you find a very caring, kindhearted therapist to give you a sense of understanding and support.

I think that doctors and even some psychologists or psychiatrists don't know much about ASDs beyond the now outdated textbooks they read while in medical school, and when they receive an enquiry they refer that person to an expert and don't research it themselves. I once went to a doctor here, a psychiatrist, and he ws very surprised that I had been diagnosed because, according to him, it is never diagnosed in adults, only in children.

Which is why I have not gone forward for a "professional" diagnosis and certainly do not intend to, because for one thing: I struggle enough mentally with my past, than for them to pull me apart and make me feel worse!

An acquaintance of mine, has a son who is an aspie and when I ventured to say I have it, she said: I know, since my son is and then, several month's later, she says: only boys have aspergers and I tell you, it took such a huge amount of self control to not argue the point with her.

Suzanne, I'm proud of you. You have AMAZING courage and strength-- yes, even when you don't feel so. You are an inspiration.:rose: I'd sit down quietly right next to you, and pour us a hot cuppa tea with some good biscuits.:coffee::coffee::cookie::cookie:

You handled yourself well. I am hoping those blood tests come back with whatever information is needed, so that you and your doctor can have a treatment plan you can feel good about.

I also get a deafeningly growly tummy when I'm anxious. Happens only in THE most embarrassing places.... i.e., in the can-hear-a-pin-drop meditation hall at my Buddhist Zendo. :fearscream: Surrounded by the whole Sangha. :tonguewink:

May you find a very caring, kindhearted therapist to give you a sense of understanding and support.

Oh Warmheart, how utterly sweet you are and of course, I find it very hard to think I am courageous when here I am at 45 and feel like a little girl, who needs to prepare herself mentally to go to the bins and bottle bank and then BREATH when I arrive home again!

I shall not be being transferred to a therapist; it was just simply a discussion on the fact of her being concerned about my highish blood pressure and perhaps thinking: well if she suffers high anxiety a lot, then her blood pressure is going to be high and so, what can we do to lower those feelings?

I am thinking the next time I go and see the dr, is suggesting she put some soft music on, in the waiting room!

Which is why I have not gone forward for a "professional" diagnosis and certainly do not intend to, because for one thing: I struggle enough mentally with my past, than for them to pull me apart and make me feel worse!

An acquaintance of mine, has a son who is an aspie and when I ventured to say I have it, she said: I know, since my son is and then, several month's later, she says: only boys have aspergers and I tell you, it took such a huge amount of self control to not argue the point with her.
I'm amazed that she said that given that her son has AS - if she's done any research at all she would have seen that girls certainly can have Asperger's. Personally, I would have told her - I find it hard to refrain when it comes to correcting people's mistakes, especially over something as fundamental as that. She should know better!

I'm reminded of having my blood pressure checked each time I sit in a dentists chair. Always prepared for them to tell me my BP is elevated, and having to avoid angrily responding, "Ya think?" But no, I would never consider mentioning to them that I thought I was on the spectrum. Just don't see any uptake there...

It's just frustrating to me for much of any medical professional to take my blood pressure and expect me to be perfectly calm about it. It's not my nature under such circumstances. But yes, trying to explain it can be equally painful. I get that!

I'm reminded of having my blood pressure checked each time I sit in a dentists chair. Always prepared for them to tell me my BP is elevated, and having to avoid angrily responding, "Ya think?" But no, I would never consider mentioning to them that I thought I was on the spectrum. Just don't see any uptake there...

It's just frustrating to me for much of any medical professional to take my blood pressure and expect me to be perfectly calm about it. It's not my nature under such circumstances. But yes, trying to explain it can be equally painful. I get that!

Lol I wasn't nervous about having my blood pressure taken! I was just anxious because of the waiting room and seeing the dr and trying to explain in French, which actually I did a pretty good job of that one hehehehe

Same with blood tests; no issues there and enjoy watching the process and even point to the best vessel LOL

I'm amazed that she said that given that her son has AS - if she's done any research at all she would have seen that girls certainly can have Asperger's. Personally, I would have told her - I find it hard to refrain when it comes to correcting people's mistakes, especially over something as fundamental as that. She should know better!

Oh I did try to correct her, but she is one heck of a one for quick responses and to save a full blown argument, I just ignored her and thought: stupid woman; just because your son is a aspie, does not make you an authority!

Lol I wasn't nervous about having my blood pressure taken! I was just anxious because of the waiting room and seeing the dr and trying to explain in French, which actually I did a pretty good job of that one hehehehe

Same with blood tests; no issues there and enjoy watching the process and even point to the best vessel LOL

Any time I have to go to a dentist my blood pressure is elevated. Cause and effect. In any language! ;)

Any time I have to go to a dentist my blood pressure is elevated. Cause and effect. In any language! ;)

Actually since posting on here, I have had time to think and actually, I am always anxious on visiting the dr, and yet, this is the first time, my blood pressure has been a bit elevated and thus, I guess I shall have to prepare myself!

New Threads

Top Bottom