• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

True friends

Good for you but I don't know why you're not told the sort of nonsense I get! Said more than enough about it here already & there's no advice that deals with much of it.

&? Strangely, people I knew talked about 'accepting others as they are' & all sorts of other nonsense like that. Whilst I'd have to be able to explain what hurt, why, etc, etc, etc, to mention it. Different rules, so no advice for my socializing!

Uh huh, so what's to be done about it? No current version of 'socializing' to do around here, as it runs into the problems mentioned here previously & I can't afford to move.

I think it's possible to have "true friends" in your life. Depends on your definition of what constitutes a "true" friend, and also just something as simple as being at the right place at the right time. I met one of my closest friends and confidantes while we were both studying social work - we stumbled onto each other because we happened to be put in the same group. She left the course after a semester because it wasn't for her, so it was a fortuitous meeting.

I like being able to tell her what exactly is bothering me, and we can be quite frank with each other, and she's accepting of my various quirks which I'm grateful.

I'm afraid to say it's true that everyone really is different. I can't imagine there being a specific play-by-play rulebook for friendship.

I think it's fair to say though, that no one here has met everyone - even everyone around you. Statistically I would say there's got to be at least someone, but much of it relies on chance. If you're impatient or different factors are working against you, the internet and forums like these are a great place to start. I believe that friendship begins with a good conversation, which is something you don't necessarily have to hang out in person to have.

when problems arise, if you can't talk about them frankly, just leave them some time and space before doing what u feel comfortable.

Simple point here is it isn't even possible to find out what the problems really are & get started on any of them. Other basic point will be trying to make 'true friends' when it seems nobody I know agrees there is such a thing. I won't be able to agree with them about that & be 'friends' with them on that basis! Socializing doesn't make me 'feel comfortable', but you can hardly make friends without some sort of social contact! Naturally, the 'criteria' disappears as soon as I point that out.

I didn't make not feeling comfortable the problem! I've covered those elsewhere & there's no help with them.

Generally, if you're going to look for something, you know what it is (you've lost your keys, etc). Do explain how on earth you look for something when, effectively, you've no idea what it actually is or looks like!? It's too difficult to discuss anything on this 'invent your own language' basis!

New Threads

Top Bottom