• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Torrent Sites Shut Down

kasmanaft08

V.I.P Member
So it seems more file sharing sites are going down since MegaUpload...
Thoughts?

BTjunkie, the popular torrent search engine, has been shut down voluntarily by its owners after seven years of operation.

The move comes amidst intense anti-piracy action this year including the FBI?s closure of Megaupload, the signing of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement and the finalised punishment against Pirate Bay operators at a Swedish court.

A message on BTjunkie?s site tells users: ?This is the end of the line my friends. The decision does not come easy, but we?ve decided to voluntarily shut down. We?ve been fighting for years for your right to communicate, but it?s time to move on. It?s been an experience of a lifetime, we wish you all the best!?

Speaking to TorrentFreak, the site?s owner stated that recent events concerning The Pirate Bay and Megaupload played a significant role in the decision to shut BTjunkie. However, he expressed a hope for the future of other BitTorrent sites. ?I really do hope so, the war is far from over for sure,? he told TorrentFreak.

BTjunkie?s voluntary shut down follows a small and recent trend by file-sharing sites to protect themselves from US federal prosecutors. FileServe and Filesonic, two file-sharing sites, have disabled their sharing service, only allowing users to download and retrieve files they personally uploaded. Uploaded.to, another cyberlocker, took the measure of denying US visitors access to the site.

Despite not being directly targeted by the US authorities or any major recording label or film studio, BTjunkie was among the top five most popular torrent sites in the world and caught the attention of both the MPAA and RIAA, both listing the site as a facilitator of copyright infringement.

Source: BitTorrent Site BTjunkie Closes In Megaupload Aftermath | TechWeekEurope UK

I think that's what they're trying to achive with busting a bigger site.

People are afraid that their sites, and thus the owner itself will be prosecuted by US law, even if he's not from the US.

However, I can see how BTjunkie isn't like megaupload, thus earning money, and subsequently being accused of "money laundering", yet people behind the torrent sites are afraid they can expect the FBI on their door, even if they're somewhere in Europe or Asia.

And that is stupid.

Even if SOPA isn't being pushed through, the governments (or at least the big companies) are trying to go this route and strike fear into people who run the website... and after that, they'll go after the endusers (aka you and me).

Well, and even if SOPA isn't pushed through, kinda secretly nations worldwide signed ACTA (with a few exceptions; Holland being one as far as I know), which is similar to SOPA, but not just limited to US connections.

If anything, I would like a unbiased report that states how torrent sites are actually making people "lose" money. Or downloading in general, because by their logic, it would mean that if you download something, you would've bought it otherwise. If I download 5 movies a week... I don't know if I can justify buying those as well. That's their faulty reasoning.

Let's put it the other way, I can only spend my money once. So all money saved from buying that movie I want to see, that CD I want to hear and god knows what I download, is being spent elsewhere. Because I don't know anyone who's like "oh hey, I downloaded this cd, so I'm putting 10 bucks on my savings account". That money is being spend on whatever you want... other hobby's, going out, groceries, stuff like that. Those other companies, not being Universal and such... they actually make a profit because they offer services people will cater to, now that they don't have to "worry" about paying for media. Let's see how it's gonna work out for those big companies, if people have to choose between groceries and actually "paying for entertainment".

Still, I can see how one could say "i'm an artist, I don't do it for free"... but if you're an artist and you're in it for the money, than I seriously question your motivation for being in said industry. That being said, I can understand stuff can't be for free, but those companies aren't bankrupt yet, cause we still have multimillion dollar movies coming out each year, and apparently boxoffice sales prove that people will pay. It's silly to just see them whining over "but we want more of your money".

Yes small companies go bankrupt, small record stores have a hard time, but can someone actually PROVE that it is because people download records? I remember independant record stores in my area, and they're still doing fine. Yes, the internet has affected them a bit, but not because of people pirating songs, it's because I can get the same album from elsewhere in an online store for half the price including shipping. And don't even forget ebay, which has people sell new products for really, really cheap.

If they are willing to blame the internet, blame it on the ease of use. Blame it on the people who innovated browsers, because if I'd have to have a PhD. to just order stuff online, I'd be more than willing to go to the store and buy the physical product there.

Besides I don't get the commotion about pirating things either way, because you're putting a "virtual luxury item" out and you're whining people aren't paying X for it. That's the wonder of computers... virtual things. Yes, I know there can be a lot of work put in a virtual item, but come on... if you're willing to make people pay for it, make it something they can't "pirate". But then again, the theatre isn't really booming business either... cause that experience is kinda "real". Yes, you can record if with your phone and show someone the video, that still isn't the same as being there... just like seeing a live dvd isn't the same as attending the concert. if people are like "yeah, it's the same"... hook them up to those pods from the matrix already.

One last things; That'll keep some people thinking.

What if we push through those acts like SOPA and such, and we actually frame people for downloading in making up a false datastream. After all, it's virtual, and you could easily erase virtual tracks on your own pc... the server never lies... or am I getting paranoid now?

Hey, a quick question that I could answer using goggle ; ]

Didn’t the American army "invent" the internet?

If so, they made their own pirates LOL

As far as I know, they wanted a computer network. That kinda got bigger and more interesting. Then, money to involved and e-commerce grew... now it's 2012... and they're like "oh ****... people use it for stuff we didn't want to".

I never used BTjunkie (when it comes to popular non-invite-only torrent sites, I much prefer Demonoid and The Pirate Bay), but it closing down doesn't worry me in the slightest. I won't be surprised if a few more people will willingly close their sites down due to what happened with MegaUpload, but things will stabilize. If any more torrent sites or file-hosting sites get shut down, it'll only be massive ones and they'll be closed down just to be made examples of. Private, invite-only torrent sites won't be targeted at all (which is great because private torrent sites are usually far better than public ones).

Most torrent sites and file-hosting services can't even legally be shut down mainly because the people who run these sites generally don't host the files themselves. If people could legally close these sites down, they could just as easily shut down YouTube (which, of course, has tons of illegal content on it). There have probably been tons of people who've attempted to shut down YouTube, but it's not YouTube that's hosting the illegal content -- it's its users. And pulling the plug on the entire site just because some people upload copyrighted files wouldn't be right.

Remember when Napster closed down? When that happened, people were freaking out and thought it was the end of file-sharing. That was nearly ten years ago now, and file-sharing is steadily becoming more popular and file-sharing methods are becoming more advanced. When these things close down, people just create something new or flock over to something else. There have been many times in the past where I've thought "No, file-sharing is over!" yet torrent sites and file-hosting sites in general keep becoming more and more popular.

Anyway, again -- I'm not worried at all.

I've never used BTJunkie, I normally use Demonoid or Bitsnoop for torrents if I can't find a direct download.

MegaUpload I don't think is a torrent site but yes I see many sites got shutdown. I use to use a tracker Oink that had a large collection of music. The thing is when they shut down sites more sites appear.

How about just getting rid of the Mickey Mouse protection act. Or at least make it reasonable. Patents and copyright are two of the biggest impediments to advancements in many fields IMHO. It's reasonable for an artist or researcher to get compensation for their time and efforts. To use it to block competition is unfair to the public. My 2¢

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom