• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tone Tags/Indicators: Use Them

I dislike language shortcuts for the most part, when I text I use the full words, maybe that shows how old I am :rolleyes:

I do know that language evolves, always has, but I think language has become too simple... Maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder how many young people could even write an essay given text shortcuts that are used so often...

I already often find forum posts hard to understand because they are full of initialisations or acronyms, that would just make it even harder.

"tags" probably have a place in Twitter where you are limited to 160 characters. But in forums like this I think it is better to perhaps spell out the words fully.

How would aborting the English language make communication easier?

Quicker to type in a fast moving conversation I guess.

I m kind of at the age where it's tough to remember stuff unless I use it a lot, so I definitely would need to save the list. But I don't tweet. I can never think of anything important enough to say.

I m kind of at the age where it's tough to remember stuff unless I use it a lot ...<snip> I can never think of anything important enough to say.

I Disagree! Well the first part I can agree too cause I’ve also got a wicked case of CRS (back in the early day CRS was Can’t remember well....”Stuff” lol).

You say a lot of important things! I’ve learned a lot from you already and have only been on this forum a couple of weeks.
Don’t sell yourself short you know a lot of stuff.

Don’t mind Twitter if your not on there then your in good company, they finally kicked me off and proclaimed I was a Russian Bot ;) I think that is funny!

Does any person 40+ in age think of those skin tags that grow all over your body when you age when you see the word tag? I hate those things, but reckon if you don’t die early then your gonna get them!

A remedy for skin tags? Duck tape! Seriously, put duck tape on it (small piece just to cover) and it will fall off within a week. Figured since we were talking tags I’d keep it on subject and help with another kind of tag.

Sounds complicated

Yeah, it definitely does. I have been using /sarcasm on and off for years, that that's pretty self explanatory - I don't see this list working out in the greater world at large.

For one thing, it's a lot to learn/memorize. For another thing, no one else is going to know what the heck it is. It might work in a specific, smaller community but it's not going to work on a broader scale - it'll just become one more thing we get made fun of for.

I m kind of at the age where it's tough to remember stuff unless I use it a lot, so I definitely would need to save the list. But I don't tweet. I can never think of anything important enough to say.

The thing is, if YOU need a glossary just to write it, what about the people who have to READ it?

Communication only works if all parties know what is being communicated.

Inventing a secret language (that you need to keep a list saved in order to remember how to use) is going to make effective communication 1000x harder. Very few people are going to understand what is being written here. You may think you're being clear, but you're speaking a foreign language to most people. This does the exact opposite of what it's intended to do.

Tone Tags/Indicators were created in order to make online communication between NDs and NTs (as well as communication between NDs) easier.

Here is a list:

/j = joking
/hj = half joking
/s or /sarc = sarcastic / sarcasm
/srs = serious
/nsrs = not serious
/lh = light hearted
/g or /gen = genuine / genuine question
/ij = inside joke
/ref = reference
/t = teasing
/nm = not mad
/lu = a little upset
/nbh = nobody here
/nsb = not subtweeting
/nay = not at you
/ay = at you
/nbr = not being rude
/ot = off topic
/th = threat
/cb = clickbait
/f = fake
/q = quote
/l or /ly = lyrics
/c = copypasta
/m = metaphor / metaphorically
/li = literal / literally
/rt or /rh = rhetorical question
/hyp = hyperbole
/p = platonic
/r = romantic
/a = alterous
/sx or /x = sexual intent
/nsx or /ns = non-sexual intent
/pc or /pos = positive connotation
/nc or /neg = negative connotation
/neu = neutral / neutral connotation
Myślę, że dla wielu będzie to kłopotliwe i zagmatwane.

I think it could be useful.

This wouldn't be the only thing I have to look up, my memory's a sieve these days.

The point of it, from what I can tell, is it offers at least a prototype way of indicating intention with the written word. Most ideas get improved on to be ideal. Maybe someone here can improve it?

I cant really see well enuf to distinguish the emoji features, one from the other, except color and sometimes outline. I thought thats what the smilies were for was nuanced meaning. Like a secret language, that i didnt understand. Sapphire can we assign one of these[emoji,emoticons] to each of your catagories plz? I think it might be useful, but this took me 20 minutes to type.

And i dont experience the same range of emotions, nor have the same conceptual template is the target demographic. Im kinda different. [So thats three fifty dollar words in one complete sentence, which is not only "fancy talk" but also, i mean come on man, i even spelled them correctly...]

Once upon a time, a Very long time ago, in a place not to far from here......

I think the term "emoji" is actually intellectual property, i rem "emoticons" as archaic render of similar issue, there was something about ascii char sets and a macro shortcut on a custom key board,

But that was on a bbs, about thirty years ago....dang...

So i dont know if its stil even relevant but ascii char codes are addressable, in theory. It used to be a fun prank to change what the screen printed, when you typed "q" for instance, you would get "p" instead. Im not trying to yell, i would like to learn about that, does it have some dire hidden meaning if i use a larger typeface in the font?

So you should still be able to do it, with control f3 (?) (Something like that)held down then type a letter and it will print a "special" character from a special list(default is std eng) that you can change. So .....
If you assign a graphic to an abbreviation, and use more vivid styles...
Then just by pushing three keyes, it would print your emoticon, that corresponds to a specific abbreviation for this tone tag [nuanced meaning] from your post.....

Nerds of the world unite! We have nothing to lose but our claims!
]

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom