• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

To do my next PC build - comments

Pink Jazz

I plan on doing my next PC build. My last major upgrade was in 2018, with the GPU upgraded in 2019 and the SSD upgraded in 2021. Now I will do a full upgrade.

Here are the specs of my new build:
Motherboard - MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
GPU - MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
RAM - Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 32GB (2x16GB)
Primary SSD - SK Hynix Platinum P41 1TB Gen4 NVMe
Secondary SSD - SK Hynix Gold S31 1TB SATA (reused from old build)
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo Black ARGB Cooling Fan
Case - MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R
Power Supply - eVGA SuperNova 850W P2 80+ Platinum (reused from old build)

I will be selling my previous build (Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z370 HD3P motherboard, Intel Core i5-8600K, MSI AMD Radeon RX 590 OC Armor, SK Hynix Gold P31 1T Gen3 NVMe Cooler Master Hyper 212, Rosewill Bradley M) as a complete system, but with a 650W 80+ Gold MSI PSU and without the secondary SSD.

Any comments on my new build? I didn't buy the latest and greatest since I didn't want to spend too much money, plus I am not an extreme hardcore gamer (the games I want to play aren't too demanding).

Can't complain in your choice of hardware. All seem Windows 11 compliant in terms of TPM 2.0, enabling secure boot in the bios and a more up-to-date cpu. Though the only significant performance boost I see as being particularly noticeable will likely be through a change in GPUs pertaining to gaming software.

Looks like you're just trying to deal with Microsoft screwing their customers into having to do such upgrades just to run Windows 11. I took a more short term route to that solution and simply switched to Linux. Though given the age of this computer I'm on, I'll be building another PC just to run Linux with fewer issues to contend with at the outset.

Actually, my current build already runs Windows 11. I just thought 6 years is enough time for an upgrade, despite two smaller upgrades along the way (GPU in 2019 and SSD in 2021).

Actually, my current build already runs Windows 11. I just thought 6 years is enough time for an upgrade, despite two smaller upgrades along the way (GPU in 2019 and SSD in 2021).

I tend to measure a need to upgrade in terms of operating systems or other technologies absolutely forcing me to do so. Otherwise I get quite a bang for my buck.

It takes a lot for me to discard the PCs I build. Especially when they remain useful with software that doesn't necessarily become obsolete just because a developer says so. It's a hoot to be able to run Photoshop 5.5 (1998) on Linux distros using Wine 8.0.1 that runs better than it does on Windows 10. :cool:

Last edited:
Note that Windows 12 is likely coming out this year, and Microsoft has not yet revealed the requirements for Windows 12. 8th Gen Intel Core processors are the lowest that was required for Windows 11, and it's possible that Microsoft might raise the requirements for Windows 12.

and it's possible that Microsoft might raise the requirements for Windows 12.
I'm counting on them doing just that. Especially contemplating even higher hardware requirements for AI additions and improvements in their next generation OS.

Yet another factor in migrating to Linux and giving the finger to Microsoft. Between Linux Mint 21.2 and Pop!OS22.04, I have long term service to 2027. Two years beyond Windows 10. In the meantime my existing computer runs great, even though most components are more than ten years old.

Last edited:
I used to build my own pc’s but have moved over to gaming on Xbox now so I just bought a laptop this time around.

I also have an HP Pavilion 15 laptop. I did my own minor upgrades, upgraded the RAM from 16GB to 32GB and upgraded the SSD from a cheap and slow 256GB Kioxia SSD to much faster 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31.

I also have an HP Pavilion 15 laptop. I did my own minor upgrades, upgraded the RAM from 16GB to 32GB and upgraded the SSD from a cheap and slow 256GB Kioxia SSD to much faster 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31.

I went with a i7, rtx 2700 super.. it’s about a year old though. Does what I need it to :)

I plan on doing my next PC build. My last major upgrade was in 2018, with the GPU upgraded in 2019 and the SSD upgraded in 2021. Now I will do a full upgrade.

Here are the specs of my new build:
Motherboard - MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
GPU - MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
RAM - Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 32GB (2x16GB)
Primary SSD - SK Hynix Platinum P41 1TB Gen4 NVMe
Secondary SSD - SK Hynix Gold S31 1TB SATA (reused from old build)
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo Black ARGB Cooling Fan
Case - MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R
Power Supply - eVGA SuperNova 850W P2 80+ Platinum (reused from old build)

I will be selling my previous build (Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z370 HD3P motherboard, Intel Core i5-8600K, MSI AMD Radeon RX 590 OC Armor, SK Hynix Gold P31 1T Gen3 NVMe Cooler Master Hyper 212, Rosewill Bradley M) as a complete system, but with a 650W 80+ Gold MSI PSU and without the secondary SSD.

Any comments on my new build? I didn't buy the latest and greatest since I didn't want to spend too much money, plus I am not an extreme hardcore gamer (the games I want to play aren't too demanding).

I think it is a solid build but I am worried about you going with a B550. I think it was a good choice two years ago but with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 out and the prices having come down so much, you might think of what will still work well in three years.

I think everything you picked is nice, especially the platinum PSU and the RAM. I think it’s true that a really fast PC isn’t needed for most games and you can hardly feel the difference but upgrading to an X670 motherboard could put you in a better position to build again or upgrade in a few years.

I think it’s going to be so much fun putting your build together, just offering my thoughts.

UPDATE:

I just started my build, and I had trouble installing the secondary SATA SSD (1TB SK Hynix Gold S31). So as a result, I will exchange the 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 NVMe Gen4 SSD for a 2TB model and will include the SATA SSD with my old system alongside the 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe Gen3 SSD.

UPDATE:

I just started my build, and I had trouble installing the secondary SATA SSD (1TB SK Hynix Gold S31). So as a result, I will exchange the 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 NVMe Gen4 SSD for a 2TB model and will include the SATA SSD with my old system alongside the 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe Gen3 SSD.

What was the "trouble"? BIOS recognition not complete? Or did you run into a potential PCIe 4.0 compatibility issue that might include your CPU? In theory PCIe technology is supposed to operate with backwards and forwards compatibility.

I ask, only because there's a footnote pertaining to your motherboard specifications regarding support for PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 3.0 - " The supported specification depends on installed processor."

Too bad this footnote doesn't go into any apparent detail. Just wondering what the details may be given a potential caveat or bottleneck- whatever it actually implies. <?>

Last edited:
No, I had trouble installing the secondary SATA SSD in my case (I couldn't figure out how to mount it since the instructions were not clear and it appeared to be missing a part). Also, I had to remove the HDD caddy since my power supply was a bit too big for the cables to fit with it installed. The motherboard has not yet been installed. So I will instead install the 2TB version of the SK Hynix Platinum P41.

No, I had trouble installing the secondary SATA SSD in my case (I couldn't figure out how to mount it since the instructions were not clear and it appeared to be missing a part). Also, I had to remove the HDD caddy since my power supply was a bit too big for the cables to fit with it installed.
A considerably less complex, but common issue. When conventional 3.5 drive mounts won't necessarily work.

Most 2.5 SSDs I know of are sold without any mounting device. (An inexpensive accessory purchased separately.) Often perplexing though if your case does not have any 3.5 drive bays to install a mounting for a 2.5 SATA SSD. (Another reason why I prefer using older cases as long as they have reasonable positive airflow. )

When your previous 3.5 hard drive mounting is in the way of your new power supply, I can see how that can create a problem. Often the most logical place to mount a 2.5 SATA SSD. Making it a critical reason to pay close attention to power supply specs beyond 150mm in depth. When they likely interfere with 3.5 drive caddies, and make a mess of cable management in a more confined space.

All a moot point if you chose to go with exclusively NVMe drives. But what the heck, I'll show what you needed anyways for future reference if you do choose to mount a SATA SSD. With newer cases it's more common to mount them on the power supply shroud provided there are four pre-drilled holes specifically to mount a SATA SSD, or the case side (wall with all the cable management).

Power supply shroud mounted SSD (Note how conveniently close the SATA SSD is to the motherboard) :

power supply shroud SSD.jpg

Wall mounted SSD:

Wall Mounted SSD.jpg

Things that vex me on occasion regarding the latest, greatest in computer cases. - Often with fewer options.

My preferred mounting device for 2.5 SATA SSDs? A removable "dock" in a 3.5 external drive bay. It's how I can boot up from one completely different operating to another in less than ten seconds.

51+F480h6eL._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
I finished my system late last night, and it seems to be working great. Startup time is almost instant. It seems to be very fast and responsive. Here is a photo (it looks purple in the photo but is actually pink).

Attachments

• 20240112_044423_001_saved.jpg
    20240112_044423_001_saved.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 8

New Threads

Top Bottom