• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

tree

Blue/Green
Staff member
V.I.P Member
For anyone who has TMJ dysfunction to discuss their experiences.

1708215941740.png

If the two parts don't fit well, your jaw may lock open
or shut. There is often crunchy sound.

Having teeth that don't fit together well (malocclusion)
makes it even more of a problem.

I am not speaking theoretically.
TMJ dysfunction is a condition I have.

For anyone who has TMJ dysfunction to discuss their experiences.
Always had tmj problems from extensive head trauma. But this last car accident rocked my jaw. Left me with TMD (displacement). Barely being able to fit a straw between my teeth.

View attachment 126630

If the two parts don't fit well, your jaw may lock open
or shut. There is often crunchy sound.

Having teeth that don't fit together well (malocclusion)
makes it even more of a problem.

I am not speaking theoretically.
TMJ dysfunction is a condition I have.
What have you found have helped relieved your pain, locking in jaw and tingling numb lips from nerve pressure?

Calcium magnesium was a discovery to me.

Also, being diagnosed as hypoglycemic helped.
I changed what I ate and that reduced some of the
night time tooth grinding.

The treatment that I advised to follow during the subluxation was called
"asprin therapy."

I naively assumed that this would fix the problem.
After a couple months of 20 to 30 aspirin a day, my arms and legs looked
something like over ripe bananas from the bruising.

One night I dreamed I was gnawing on an aspirin the size of a tennis ball.
When I woke up and looked around at the empty aspirin bottles, I thought
something about this is wrong.....

Fortunately, a relative who is a nurse gave me a book that gave me ideas
of how to deal with the hypoglycemia. Paavo Airola's, Hypoglycemia: A Better Approach.

I had a 'splint' all that summer.
A bite guard that held my jaw in place.
I thought it was supposed to re-position it, but no.

Surgery (chopping chunks of my upper jaw) was discussed.
It was concluded that my over bite wasn't severe enough to warrant that.

I know a guy who had that kind of surgery, but for an underbite.
He said if he'd known what it was like, he probably wouldn't have done it.

What have you found have helped relieved your pain, locking in jaw and tingling numb lips from nerve pressure?
Eventually I got a Hawley bite plate aka Hawley retainer.

Looks like (as far as another person can see) what kids use after their braces have been removed.
It's not the same.

There's an area built in so that my front lower teeth have a point of contact, something
that I can chew food against. It prevent the back teeth from engaging, not that both sides
actually would touch. One side does; the other doesn't.

Whenever I go to the dentist, if there is a new hygienist that says 'open wide' I know they
haven't read over my chart.

The appliance is a 24/7 thing.
Not like kids who take theirs out and put in a case.

I would be in severe pain without it.

Eventually I got a Hawley bite plate aka Hawley retainer.

Looks like (as far as another person can see) what kids use after their braces have been removed.
It's not the same.

There's an area built in so that my front lower teeth have a point of contact, something
that I can chew food against. It prevent the back teeth from engaging, not that both sides
actually would touch. One side does; the other doesn't.

Whenever I go to the dentist, if there is a new hygienist that says 'open wide' I know they
haven't read over my chart.

The appliance is a 24/7 thing.
Not like kids who take theirs out and put in a case.

I would be in severe pain without it.
That is interesting.

Does that hurt in your mouth at ALL anymore?
that is good they could do something to help releive the severe pain.

I saw the dentist the other day. They have to fit me for a "night" guard. That they want me to wear daily till my jaw comes back into alignment or possibly always. And if that doesnt work they may have to do other treatments.

My wisdom teeth grew in with infection When I was 10. Acending and decending into the gums on a constabt basis. I dont have very active pain receptors and am a red head so freezing is a night mare. After approx 17 years of them being in my mouth (infected with out noticing ) the infection activated tmj it locked my jaw and I had them worked on under anesthetic. Still conscious they chipped a piece of my jaw forcing it open and I have never been the same since.

I have to wait till my jaw unlocks for them to treat anything.

Still conscious they chipped a piece of my jaw forcing it open and I have never been the same since.

That sounds terrible.

I wasn't happy the day the two university orthodontists were talking to each
other about how I could only open my mouth to a certain (small) degree.

So they said, to each other, well what happens if.....and then they tried
forcing the lower jaw, wider.

They seemed so surprised when after that I said "I didn't like that."
What did they think? I was a demonstration mannequin?

Their efforts didn't include regarding me as a person, it seemed.

==========
I had all of my wisdom teeth removed.
They were all impacted (coming in stupid, jammed up under other teeth.)

===========
That splint I mentioned was large.
Like a boxer's mouth guard.

Supposedly for night time.
But was all the time.

Discarded after getting the bite plate.

Still conscious they chipped a piece of my jaw forcing it open and I have never been the same since.

That sounds terrible.

I wasn't happy the day the two university orthodontists were talking to each
other about how I could only open my mouth to a certain (small) degree.

So they said, to each other, well what happens if.....and then they tried
forcing the lower jaw, wider.

They seemed so surprised when after that I said "I didn't like that."
What did they think? I was a demonstration mannequin?

Their efforts didn't include regarding me as a person, it seemed.

==========
I had all of my wisdom teeth removed.
They were all impacted (coming in stupid, jammed up under other teeth.)

===========
That splint I mentioned was large.
Like a boxer's mouth guard.

Supposedly for night time.
But was all the time.

Discarded after getting the bite plate.
I actually dont know if it was awful. Dont remember how much pain it caused. I tend to block that out and move on to the next crazy thing in ny life.

Wow. People are the worst. I always get the hrmm never had that in ny 18 years as a dr or 32 yrs as a dentist or 35 yrs as a dr etc.

That is one of the hardest things I have realized is we are treated like a mannequin becayse we dont display our emotions or express things the same as others. Because they did that with me too.

Of course now let me get this straight it is not the same. At all. Your experience is yours and I am not negating. But I was 11 and had a root canal. The freezing didnt work. So I could feel them drilling. I told the dentist. And he daid what about here? What about here? And just kept going. All because of my non reaction.

Ohh that boxers mouth guard splint sounds like a terrible mouth full... Glad you dont have to wear that now.

Ohh that boxers mouth guard splint sounds like a terrible mouth full... Glad you dont have to wear that now.

Me, too.

A. Once it was in my mouth I felt like my I.Q. had dropped 30 points. Or more.
B. The thing made crying a suffocating sort of affair. And during that time it would have been a relief, to cry.

I was 11 and had a root canal.

wow

The freezing didn't work. So I could feel them drilling. I told the dentist.
And he said what about here? What about here? And just kept going. All because of my non reaction.

That is very poor.
Did he expect you to shout or grab him or what? In order to register the pain.
Seems like your word should have been good enough.

For fillings I don't do novocaine any more.
The dentist I go to now says 85 % of his patients who have novocaine for fillings
don't need it, but they want it.

I don't get a lot of fillings these days, but now and then, plus
the older ones may need replacing. I appreciate that this dentist
gives me a choice of whether to use the stuff.

And I don't want it.
It's not because I don't feel pain.
It's that he is skilled enough to not produce un-necessary discomfort.

No novocaine means shorter time, too, since there's no wait for the numbing.

I sometimes support my lower jaw with my hand when I am having work done.
If it's a new assistant, I assure her that what I will be doing won't involve
grabbing her. :)

Me, too.

A. Once it was in my mouth I felt like my I.Q. had dropped 30 points. Or more.
B. The thing made crying a suffocating sort of affair. And during that time it would have been a relief, to cry.

I was 11 and had a root canal.

wow

The freezing didn't work. So I could feel them drilling. I told the dentist.
And he said what about here? What about here? And just kept going. All because of my non reaction.

That is very poor.
Did he expect you to shout or grab him or what? In order to register the pain.
Seems like your word should have been good enough.

For fillings I don't do novocaine any more.
The dentist I go to now says 85 % of his patients who have novocaine for fillings
don't need it, but they want it.

I don't get a lot of fillings these days, but now and then, plus
the older ones may need replacing. I appreciate that this dentist
gives me a choice of whether to use the stuff.

And I don't want it.
It's not because I don't feel pain.
It's that he is skilled enough to not produce un-necessary discomfort.

No novocaine means shorter time, too, since there's no wait for the numbing.

I sometimes support my lower jaw with my hand when I am having work done.
If it's a new assistant, I assure her that what I will be doing won't involve
grabbing her. :)
Oh man tbat would have been a huge confidence suck. And crying would have been utter torture.

Yes I think he expected me to scream yell ow. But I am just not wired that way. I dont react to pain very much.

I finally found a really good dentist. They were extra gentle taking xrays to not cause more discomfort. But also arent looking to just make money and want to do the best possible thing. I am glad my teeth obsession has pain off because I have no cavities in the 5 years of not going to the dentist and my teeth are perfect they said. So much so they asked where else I got my teeth cleaned.

That is really good that uou have a dentist now that you can trust too. It takes a long time.

I have only had 2 cavities. And they grew in dead. One is a metal filling and it has a piece of cement stuck between it and my other tooth. It sometimes hurts. I tried to get the dentist not to take it out but somehow yhe last dentist fused it to my tooth so she would have to remove my cap, fil down my good tooth, take some of my gum and bone and then hopefully be able to get it out. I was like no thanks. And I asked why is the cement even in there she said " I have no idea"

I got the surgery six years ago. Part of my jaw is replaced, but no problems since. Is this an autistic thing somehow?

I was wondering the same thing. No.one else I know except people who are Autistic have had problems with TMJ.
Well crap. TMJ gave me a lot of grief. My jaw locked closed as well as locked open. I got the surgery to correct an overbite that was causing sleep apnea. The TMJ showed up as "your jaw is broken" on the x-ray so the surgeon went in and fixed that as well. I've worn a retainer every night since, and haven't woken up grinding teeth.

I have had experience with TMJ in the past. I still get a subtle crunching sound from the left side if I move my jaw a certain way and listen out for it.

I once make the mistake of commenting that someone's eating noises were getting to me and they angrily shot back that my jaw made a loud crunching noise when I ate. Then I stared to notice it more and more. My jaw would sometimes feel like it was locking open or closed, making an obvious loud click. Because I was now so self conscious, I started moving my jaw as little as possible when I ate, and just in general. That actually seems to have improved it. Then one day I was at the dentist getting routine x-rays and when I opened my mouth wider for the dentist to take out the plastic thing, my jaw made a very loud click, startling the dentist, but that seemed to improve things as well. I would also sometimes wake myself up in the middle of the night by biting the tip of my tongue really hard in my sleep.

Also, interesting to note about hypoglycemia. I used to get bouts of it, but my doctor couldn't actually find anything wrong since my blood sugar was always fine, yet I would get all the symptoms of hypoglycemia. Following a low sugar diet actually helped.

I was wondering the same thing. No.one else I know except people who are Autistic have had problems with TMJ.
To the best of my knowledge, it's not related to autism. It's just that is common. I had it examined because of tinnitus in one ear (also very common, although less common to have it only in one ear).

Having said that, I think that anxiety is a risk factor because of clenching the jaw and grinding teeth. My jaw used the hurt a lot but it got better with a mouth guard for sleep. If I'm focused on something during the day, I tend to clench my jaw.

The mouth guard at night also helped with teeth sensitivity. They are expensive, but very helpful.

To the best of my knowledge, it's not related to autism. It's just that is common. I had it examined because of tinnitus in one ear (also very common, although less common to have it only in one ear).

Having said that, I think that anxiety is a risk factor because of clenching the jaw and grinding teeth. My jaw used the hurt a lot but it got better with a mouth guard for sleep. If I'm focused on something during the day, I tend to clench my jaw.

The mouth guard at night also helped with teeth sensitivity. They are expensive, but very helpful.
Ahh that is the link. Anxiety. I am such a grinder I get tooth dust in the morning. And my on cap has been shaved down in my sleep.

I am hoping to get my jaw unlocked soon so that they can fit me.with a guard. It will be $2000 cad but worth it. And hopefully covered by motor vehicle insurrance.

Does anyone have any tips or anything for when your jaw locked?

Mine is currently locked and the pain is causing me to be ill. I also can't sleep properly, eat, or do much of anything. Any info is welcome.

Does anyone have any tips or anything for when your jaw locked?

Mine is currently locked and the pain is causing me to be ill. I also cant sleep properly, eat, or do mucj of anuthing. Any info is welcome.

Do gentle massages of the area or applying heat to the joint help relax the jaw or ease the pain?

New Threads

Top Bottom