• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tired of Expectations Being Placed On Me

KevinMao133

Growing up I was being told to be accepted I have to accomplish more, way more than an actual human being

To some people being at 70% is good enough. Not me. Even if I’m at 200%, I’m still being seen as inferior

They say I’m rude, condescending as well as disrespectful. I took all of that, I never once responded. Maybe I’m rude because I was never given a fair chance and they keep trying to put labels on me, something they don’t want to talk about

I yearn love but I can’t handle love, from forming a relationship to keeping it

That’s why I have pulled back and stayed out, I keep all the receipts. I don’t forget

Expectations is doing a lot of work here. I see you placing a narrative and rules upon yourself.

Rather than saying that I needed to accomplish more to be accepted, people kept on telling me that I needed life experience. I never heard that told to the man-children who went from their parent's household into marriage without crafting an independent life. Meanwhile I lived independently, reveled in my interests, and contributed a little in the sciences, learning how i could navigate through the world and life. As I struggled for acceptance I learned that most spouting their ideas about it were useless in offering actual solutions and that those for whom acceptance was important silently practiced it through their actions.

Me 2.
We are autistics and have limitations and people misunderstand and take advantage of us.
We need to be free to be ourselves.
I'm sorry for ur pain as well and hope it get better.
People do not be very nice and you probably only lady out because people are not nice to you and u are stressed

Growing up I was being told to be accepted I have to accomplish more, way more than an actual human being

To some people being at 70% is good enough. Not me. Even if I’m at 200%, I’m still being seen as inferior

They say I’m rude, condescending as well as disrespectful. I took all that ********, I never once responded. Maybe I’m rude because I was never given a fair chance and they keep trying to put labels on me, something they don’t want to talk about

I yearn love but I can’t handle love, from forming a relationship to keeping it

That’s why I have pulled back and stayed out, I keep all the receipts. I don’t forget
I think I understand where some of this might be coming from. Without having all the social skills of a so-called "people person", the type of person people naturally gravitate towards, the type of person that has a large group of friends around them, what am I supposed to do in order to be accepted? If you can't be popular, be useful, be a resource, a mentor, an educator. Our department once had a fun little questionnaire as part of a team building exercise. One of the questions was, "If you and another person were stuck on a desert island, who would you choose to be the other person?" I was the overwhelming first choice, which surprised the heck out of me. The people in my department realized that in this situation, a popular person would not be the best choice for survival. A "useful" person with a broad range of knowledge, experience, and technical expertise would be.

So, there may be some truth to your quote, "...to be accepted, I have to accomplish more,..."

As far as being interpreted as rude, aloof, condescending, disrespectful, that is on you. Clearly, it may not be your intent, but this is how you are coming off to people. It is frustrating to deal with. I know, because for the first 10-15 years of my career, statements like this were on my annual peer reviews. Every year, the same thing. It literally affected my pay raises. It wasn't until I had enough, that I really focused upon my role as "the patient mentor and educator". I interacted with a calm, soothing, relaxed smile and persona, most especially with people who were frustrated and stressed. I played the role of a "loving and positive father figure" for my staff. I paused and worded things in a positive manner with people, whether it be face-to-face or an email. People changed their attitudes relatively quickly, albeit, it still took a few years to wipe away the previous version of me from their mind. A good chunk of my day is fielding questions from my co-workers.

As far as the love and relationship difficulties, many women are seeking a partner who have the characteristics of a good father, a good provider, and a good lover. Again, if you lack all the "social graces", you have to compensate with proving your "usefulness" by accomplishing more. I sense this is where I am at. If I can't be that romantic, charming, conversationalist, then I had better step it up in other areas.

Kevin, I have responded to many of your threads, mainly because what you express are the sorts of things that remind me of myself when I was younger. When everyone else seems to interpret your words in different ways, I seem to be able to understand where you are coming from. It hits home. In many ways, you're a younger version of me.

Take care.

Last edited:
I think I understand where some of this might be coming from. Without having all the social skills of a so-called "people person", the type of person people naturally gravitate towards, the type of person that has a large group of friends around them, what am I supposed to do in order to be accepted? If you can't be popular, be useful, be a resource, a mentor, an educator. Our department once had a fun little questionnaire as part of a team building exercise. One of the questions was, "If you and another person were stuck on a desert island, who would you choose to be the other person?" I was the overwhelming first choice, which surprised the heck out of me. The people in my department realized that in this situation, a popular person would not be the best choice for survival. A "useful" person with a broad range of knowledge, experience, and technical expertise would be.

So, there may be some truth to your quote, "...to be accepted, I have to accomplish more,..."

As far as being interpreted as rude, aloof, condescending, disrespectful, that is on you. Clearly, it may not be your intent, but this is how you are coming off to people. It is frustrating to deal with. I know, because for the first 10-15 years of my career, statements like this were on my annual peer reviews. Every year, the same thing. It literally affected my pay raises. It wasn't until I had enough, that I really focused upon my role as "the patient mentor and educator". I interacted with a calm, soothing, relaxed smile and persona, most especially with people who were frustrated and stressed. I played the role of a "loving and positive father figure" for my staff. I paused and worded things in a positive manner with people, whether it be face-to-face or an email. People changed their attitudes relatively quickly, albeit, it still took a few years to wipe away the previous version of me from their mind. A good chunk of my day is fielding questions from my co-workers.

As far as the love and relationship difficulties, many women are seeking a partner who have the characteristics of a good father, a good provider, and a good lover. Again, if you lack all the "social graces", you have to compensate with proving your "usefulness" by accomplishing more. I sense this is where I am at. If I can't be that romantic, charming, conversationalist, then I had better step it up in other areas.

Kevin, I have responded to many of your threads, mainly because what you express are the sorts of things that remind me of myself when I was younger. When everyone else seems to interpret your words in different ways, I seem to be able to understand where you are coming from. It hits home. In many ways, you're a younger version of me.

Take care.

It’s weird

Sometimes I’m difficult to deal with, other times I’m the most down to earth one can meet

I realized it’s a respect thing. Also do I feel relaxed around them?

It’s weird

Sometimes I’m difficult to deal with, other times I’m the most down to earth one can meet

I realized it’s a respect thing. Also do I feel relaxed around them?
Agree. Sometimes, the stress of the situation can get the better of me, then I find it more difficult to control my behaviors. I tend to get "short" and "negative" with people. Sure, I realize afterward what just happened, and I don't want to be viewed in this light. I am conflicted with (1) being viewed as a bit of jerk and (2) showing weakness by apologizing. Apologizing seems like the right thing to do, but you still get knocked down a notch for your behavior.

I am thinking for most relationships, respect is also a two-way street. Even if the other person is a total "crack-pot" with all sorts of bizarre thoughts and behaviors, if you treat them with respect, even someone like that can be quite cordial. It's not unusual in health care to encounter people like this, so you gradually learn these skills.

Relaxed around people? It's shades of gray. It's highly individualized and depends upon the situation. I am a very systematic sort of thinker, so when dealing with other people who are of similar mind, I know I can have a calm, relaxed, respectful interaction, even if there are disagreements. Then there are people who do not exhibit organized thought patterns, their brains quickly jump from one thought to the next without finishing any one thought, can be rather unpredictable, and who's lives are self-destructive and chaotic. These people are quite difficult to follow and I really struggle with what they are saying. These people are stressful to be around.

Agree. Sometimes, the stress of the situation can get the better of me, then I find it more difficult to control my behaviors. I tend to get "short" and "negative" with people. Sure, I realize afterward what just happened, and I don't want to be viewed in this light. I am conflicted with (1) being viewed as a bit of jerk and (2) showing weakness by apologizing. Apologizing seems like the right thing to do, but you still get knocked down a notch for your behavior.

I am thinking for most relationships, respect is also a two-way street. Even if the other person is a total "crack-pot" with all sorts of bizarre thoughts and behaviors, if you treat them with respect, even someone like that can be quite cordial. It's not unusual in health care to encounter people like this, so you gradually learn these skills.

Relaxed around people? It's shades of gray. It's highly individualized and depends upon the situation. I am a very systematic sort of thinker, so when dealing with other people who are of similar mind, I know I can have a calm, relaxed, respectful interaction, even if there are disagreements. Then there are people who do not exhibit organized thought patterns, their brains quickly jump from one thought to the next without finishing any one thought, can be rather unpredictable, and who's lives are self-destructive and chaotic. These people are quite difficult to follow and I really struggle with what they are saying. These people are stressful to be around.

Honestly I haven’t said this but I like talking to smart people

Level headed is a must

There’s this guy I had a problem with. He apologized so I’m ok with him

Man I’m tired of being told what to do

I’m tired of being seen weak. People say I'm not a man because I’m soft spoken, sensitive, gentle and I live myself secluded from the rest

I’m also tired of the toxic masculinity that society promotes

I’m tired of dealing with expectations and being judged all the time

This is a difficult balance. Based on your profile name, guessing you are part of the Asian culture. Expectations are all about the Asian culture, even if it's unreasonable. Where expectations are okay and where we need to balance will always be a challenge. What will help is to put yourself in a position to manage your own finances and live independently. Will and can your parents help you buy a home? If that is not feasible, then try to improve your life in a way where you can get a job that is enough to pay for rent for yourself with roommates and move out of the home as soon as you can. If your parents don't want you to live like that, ask them to help you live in your own place rented if not owned.

New Threads

Top Bottom