• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tired of ads?

N2k12

Found a great way to block all ads and other annoyances online. I use firefox, and have the ublock origin extension, and privacy badger. if you want to go down the more intensive route, you can use a custom HOSTS file, you can find a good up to date one, at : Using a Hosts File To Make The Internet Not Suck (as much) these 3 things in conjuction with each other, should give you an ad free experience on all sites. including youtube. have fun :)

Found a great way to block all ads and other annoyances online. I use firefox, and have the ublock origin extension, and privacy badger. if you want to go down the more intensive route, you can use a custom HOSTS file, you can find a good up to date one, at : Using a Hosts File To Make The Internet Not Suck (as much) these 3 things in conjuction with each other, should give you an ad free experience on all sites. including youtube. have fun :)

i am confused, why did you copy what i said and post it? sorry, i am trying to figure it out

i am confused, why did you copy what i said and post it? sorry, i am trying to figure it out
You were simply quoted. Then I added older links to what you were posting about.

In other words, there are lots of existing links about ad-blockers and popups.

it reall is hey. so much faster with browsing, and less annoying
We still have lots of people who argue over their browser of choice. In my own case I've stuck with Mozilla since Netscape. A hardcore Firefox fan...though now I'm almost exclusively on Linux- not Windows. The Linux Mint version of Firefox is just a tiny bit different than Windows.

Last edited:
We still have lots of people who argue over their browser of choice. In my own case I've stuck with Mozilla since Netscape. A hardcore Firefox fan...though now I'm almost exclusively on Linux- not Windows. The Linux Mint version of Firefox is just a tiny bit different than Windows.
Yea agreed, i use Waterfox, a custom firefox build, and have it optimized, and disk caching is off, so cache only goes into ram. its so much better than edge / chrome / all those other browsers.

the good old netscape days. i used to use netscape navigator on my windows 98se machine, back in the day. before firefox was invented. Had a program called 98Lite, debloated to the max, and then used a conversion tool, 98se2me, and basically "upgraded" windows 98se, without all the bloat and problems windows ME came with. even on dial up, my browsing speed was fine, compared to using internet explorer.

Honestly I dont know how anyone can tolerate any part of the internet WITHOUT adblockers. It just baffles me.

Like, if I have to use someone else's machine for even a tiny amount of time, and they dont have adblockers on, it drives me to near madness in less than 2 minutes (and then whoever owns the machine gets to hear my patented "Adblock Rant" afterwards).

As it is I'm using like 3 adblockers & Sponsorblock at all times, myself.

The internet is straight up unusable without adblocker. Like I'll disable it if it's a website I'm active on and know it doesn't have awful or annoying ads (like this one web game/forum I'm active on, the only ads on that site are a singular ad on the side on the main site and a singular ad at the bottom of the page on the forums - that's it), but any other site? Nah, my adblocker is staying on 100% of the time and if you're one of those website that goes 'Ummm pwease disable your adbwocker pwetty pwease?', I'm just leaving your site and finding my information elsewhere.

I’m just using DuckDuckGo on my iPad. Can’t use my computer until late April as it’s at my moms.

I find the sites I frequently use are fine using chrome's built in ad blocker - it only blocks ads on sites where the ads are deemed "intrusive".

If everyone blocks all ads then there wouldn't be any free sites. Not saying that's better or worse. Just saying. It does make me wonder whether that would improve the level of content on the internet. If everyone had to pay for the sites they want to use, possibly they'd pay more attention to the quality of the content on those sites. No-one would be able to make a buck from ads on a site that's full of trash.

I find the sites I frequently use are fine using chrome's built in ad blocker - it only blocks ads on sites where the ads are deemed "intrusive".

If everyone blocks all ads then there wouldn't be any free sites. Not saying that's better or worse. Just saying. It does make me wonder whether that would improve the level of content on the internet. If everyone had to pay for the sites they want to use, possibly they'd pay more attention to the quality of the content on those sites. No-one would be able to make a buck from ads on a site that's full of trash.

Nah, if people had to pay to access every site, everyone would just find new ways to break paywalls.

Heck, *I* use paywall breakers, due to the fact that so many sites are like "HEY what's that you want to sorta skim through exactly one article of text on this site you never even thought of using before? GEE GOLLY THAT'S GREAT hey now it's time to make a whole account and get a subscription for $40 per month and then you can look" and like... hahaha that's not freaking happening. If I'm getting an account for something the site better be doing way more than just show me some text and images.

The more sites try to do that sort of thing, the more people will just do exactly that. And of course, digital piracy would also increase.

What really gets me though is that the dolts that handle ads on sites like Youtube (and many, many other sites) seem incapable of comprehending the idea that maybe annoying the heck outta everyone is not the best way to do it. Like, Youtube specifically will put 12 dumb unskippable ads in a 15 minute video, and they wonder why everyone uses adblockers. Their response to people using adblockers is, then, to put in even more ads.

Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

What really gets me though is that the dolts that handle ads on sites like Youtube (and many, many other sites) seem incapable of comprehending the idea that maybe annoying the heck outta everyone is not the best way to do it. Like, Youtube specifically will put 12 dumb unskippable ads in a 15 minute video, and they wonder why everyone uses adblockers. Their response to people using adblockers is, then, to put in even more ads.

I think the number of ads on youtube is controlled mostly by the content creators. I subscribe to a lot of channels and some are full of ads and some have hardly any.

I agree, I've never understood why anyone would think it's a good idea to put so many ads on something that it turns people off. I had a client recently who asked me to put a popup ad on the home page of their website and force the visitor to click it or close it. I explained it would be really annoying and at the very least they should get some analytics going so they know what the website traffic was like before and after adding this popup, but they insisted people would love it and so it got added.

I also agree that it would be dumb to force visitors to pay for one article.

But site owners have to pay the bills with some sort of income, if not ads, a paywall, or donations, then what else.

Personally I like the principle that people pay what they can afford and what they feel the content is worth to them. But, human nature gets in the way somewhat.

I think the number of ads on youtube is controlled mostly by the content creators. I subscribe to a lot of channels and some are full of ads and some have hardly any.

If you or anyone is curious, this video does a good job of explaining how it works from the perspective of channel creators, and the problems that they run into with managing the way ads function:

The most notable part is the bit where Youtube is like "hey, if you guys dont monetize your videos enough, we will do it for you". And the default is like 13 ads as opposed to the 2 or 3 that the guy would set manually (with that being, you know, the sane number for a video of the length he was demonstrating).

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that, knowing Youtube/Google, they will eventually try to take more control themselves, feeling that creators arent being "aggressive" enough.

but they insisted people would love it

aaaaagh, this bit here, I dont understand this, WHY do people think this way?

I... just... it... aaaaaaagh

I cant process that. I mean I know there are people who really, genuinely cannot grasp that people hate ads, but still, I cant process that even knowing about it previously. Blows my mind every time...

What also gets me though is that it's not exactly impossible to make ads that DONT suck.

Like, if you're from the US, think of the ads that play during the Superbowl. People get genuinely excited to see those commercials (unless the quality dropped in the last few years?). Even I always liked to see them, I remember as a kid when the Superbowl was going someone would say "hey, they're gonna do some commercials now, wanna come see them?" and I'd run right in there (I dont actually watch the sports stuff, so I was never in the room until the commercials started).

Or, another example, there's a creator on Youtube by the name of Ryan George. He does a sponsored section at the end of each video. Pretty common for those using Sponsorblock to temporarily turn it off when watching his stuff, because the sponsored bits are just as darned hilarious as the rest of the video.

But most advertising companies seem utterly incapable of doing things like that, regardless of... anything. Instead, they opt for "just get in the viewer's face more". It's baffling to me.

But most advertising companies seem utterly incapable of doing things like that,

Sorry for triggering your bafflement (if that wasn't a word before, it is now!)

Yes, that client I mentioned wanted the ad to give the visitor an option to sign up to their newsletter too - without any explanation as to what the newsletter contained.

Nah, if people had to pay to access every site, everyone would just find new ways to break paywalls.

Heck, *I* use paywall breakers, due to the fact that so many sites are like "HEY what's that you want to sorta skim through exactly one article of text on this site you never even thought of using before? GEE GOLLY THAT'S GREAT hey now it's time to make a whole account and get a subscription for $40 per month and then you can look" and like... hahaha that's not freaking happening. If I'm getting an account for something the site better be doing way more than just show me some text and images.

The more sites try to do that sort of thing, the more people will just do exactly that. And of course, digital piracy would also increase.

Gives me a headache just thinking about it.
yep. and sites like that, that show you part of an article, then ask for payment, its likely misinformation, fake news, or a trolling article. i have those kinds of sites blocked, in a HOSTS file, so they cant even load.

youtube ads are run by googleadservices, and googlesyndication, doubleclick.net, and many others. they even use scripting based ads now days, so you cant simply block the domain, the ad comes from.

New Threads

Top Bottom