• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tired of ads?

Honestly I dont know how anyone can tolerate any part of the internet WITHOUT adblockers. It just baffles me.
Truth is, many out there are so intimidated by technology even at the most basic level that they are reticent to attempt to fix or alter much of anything. Using their OS "right out of the box" without ever considering how they could alter it to better accommodate it to what they want rather than only what they need.

I have two relatives who fit this category perfectly. Where they never change anything regarding their OS or any application because of ignorance and indifference. Still, I find it baffling as well. Where so many don't go beyond tolerating high tech, rather than attempt to master it.

Truth is, many out there are so intimidated by technology even at the most basic level that they are reticent to attempt to fix or alter much of anything. Using their OS "right out of the box" without ever considering how they could alter it to better accommodate it to what they want rather than only what they need.

I have two relatives who fit this category perfectly. Where they never change anything regarding their OS or any application because of ignorance and indifference. Still, I find it baffling as well. Where so many don't go beyond tolerating high tech, rather than attempt to master it.

Yeah, that always bugs me.

And what makes it extra odd to me is that there can be a conflict sometimes, with some tech being scary to someone, but another type being frequently used. My father & stepmother dont exactly interact with their computers beyond a very basic level, despite that they're used for business (so you'd think it'd be important to know more). I had to explain to them that adblockers even exist. As is typical I also have to fix any problems that occur. Though, it was always like that.

Yet, they will use their phones, which are always the highest models, CONSTANTLY, for everything. Stranger still is the fact that I myself do NOT use phones. The biggest tech-user in the family, not using the device everyone else is so obsessed with. Only things I do with it are to use it as a flashlight, camera, or magical talking map. Always hated phones though. The thing has a really heavy duty case on it, to protect it from the rather frequent moments where I get irritated at it and launch it across the room.

Though there is also the TV on the main floor, a labyrinthine construct of absolute nonsense that even I cannot grasp, yet my father can use easily. To be fair though I dont watch TV, but my stepmother frequently asks me to fix the accursed thing when my father isnt around to do it. Usually leads to 30 minutes of me trying to resist the urge to throw the remotes across the room.

On that note, I always wonder, WHY are there 4 seperate remotes? The heck do they even do? A question for the ages. They all have like 3000 buttons on them, too.

Though by far the most utterly baffling thing at all is the fact that they use the TV whatsoever. The #1 thing I do notice about it if I'm in the room when it is being used is that it is like 75% commercials, with bits of show between them. How they can watch ANYTHING, I dont know. Just ridiculous.

It could also be because of that old saying, if it's not broken don't fix it. In my experience something goes wrong 9 out of 10 times when trying to mess around with computers. It's all just so fragile and overly complicated. So you try to make a few changes and then something stops working and it turns into a never ending problem.

So you try to make a few changes and then something stops working and it turns into a never ending problem.
Point taken. That's why I eventually learned NOT to change anything when my Internet would go down. That it was far better to just sit back and be patient, without changing anything that didn't actually generate the problem to begin with.

Sometimes being too proactive carries some really nasty consequences.

Point taken. That's why I eventually learned NOT to change anything when my Internet would go down. That it was far better to just sit back and be patient, without changing anything that didn't actually generate the problem to begin with.

Sometimes being too proactive carries some really nasty consequences.

Yeah I used to do the same thing, when the internet stopped working. Changing things. I usually made it much worse. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom