• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Timed Tests

I have always struggled with timed assessments. I don't know if it is an autism thing or simply a universal human annoyance that I'm just overthinking, but I would really appreciate some input from others on the spectrum.

The earliest incident I can remember was during second grade testing for the 'gifted' program (I know some people dislike the term, but that is what they called it at the time). As part of the test, they gave me a blank grid of squares and instructed me to illustrate a story with them. This exercise was designed to measure creativity- assuming such a thing could be measured. I was very excited by the task, and I spent all of the allotted time creating one, intensely detailed panel instead of a coherent narrative with many, sparsely detailed panels- it was just the way my brain was wired. I had a very elaborate vision in my head, but I didn't have nearly enough time to translate it. Consequently, I failed the creativity section! Looking back, I just find this a ironic illustration of how misguided attempts to quantify creativity are. Unfortunately, my timed test woes didn't end there.

As I progress farther in the public education system, it seems like every major exam is timed. These assessments are one of the greatest sources of anxiety in my life right now. I find that it is when taking timed tests that I am most prone to engaging in self-destructive stimming behaviors (ripping out my eyebrow hairs has been the most common one) or even shutdowns. In short, it's interfering with the quality of my life, and of course my performance has suffered.

So...how does one cope? In a system that equates intelligence to mental velocity, timed tests aren't going to disappear, and I need to adapt. What tactics are others found helpful for mitigating the stress, preventing shutdowns, and dealing with general autism related difficulties during exams?

I had similar problems with timed tests too, and in class I was always the last one to finish a task - I always found that the teacher wanted to move on before I had finished. It was frustrating.

I think that some educational institutions will allow extra time for those diagnosed with ASD.

It also helps not to dwell on a task or question if you are finding it hard - do all the easy ones first, leave the hard ones and come back to them later.

Could be worse. I mean, timed tests don't concern me anywhere near as actual timed job tasks.

Where production may be weighted more than accuracy. Employers who "want the moon". Where it's not enough to know the subject matter, but rather to be able "to juggle" it all at the same time. :eek:

Last edited:
Screw timed tests.

I didn't have any, how do you say, leverage, at the time, but the school was impressed enough with my test scores that when I pissed and moaned about it enough they started allotting me all the time I needed to finish a test. Never went to high school though (long story), so I have no idea if the same rules apply there, and if the same rules apply now.

Time over number of and type of question.

Mathematical logic and stick to it.

You don’t walk into these exams blind, you may have completed numerous past papers? Know the format to structure your answer? Know which points; when mentioned, will gain greater marks yes?

Put your ‘aspie’ in fifth gear and treat an exam as just a problem to be solved?

Take out emotion and ‘get your logic on’
?
Don’t pass this exam despite being aspie,
Smash it BECAUSE you’re aspie

I agree that the 'problem to be solved' mentality is the most effective way to approach these sorts of exams. My problems usually arise when I allow myself to become paralyzed by anxiety over time limits, though the opposite extreme is that is that I also tend to get absorbed by one interesting problem at the expense of others. Both are detrimental, but if I can treat the test as a puzzle aimed at maximizing point value while minimizing time spent I can overcome both tendencies.

I suppose I could treat the exams as practice for the aforementioned timed job tasks, but I'm not sure how to prepare for dealing with the incompetent, know-it-all managers imposing them. Talk to more people?

Yeah. I'll focus on the tests for now.

I, too, have always struggled with timed assessments. They just don't seem fair to me. Sometimes while I've been outside walking, a passing driver might ask directions. While I know the area quite well, I still must stop and think for a few seconds. Some people interpret that hesitation as ignorance and drive away. On a more practical level, this was especially challenging in school. At one point I was able to wheedle an exemption to some of the timed tests. This is because I was on some heavy duty meds for my seizure disorder. (Since my surgeries, I'm only one a single mild medication anymore.) As a result, my PCP wrote me a letter that I could use at school. The office for disabled students gave me ample extra time for tests in all classes from that point forward. That may have been what saved me. Only one misguided professor tried to make me feel guilty about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom