• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

thunder storms

Damn you from Canada, and you Thunder storms. That's uncanny. (You know you remind me of somebody...) What other kind of weather do you like, friend?

Yeah I love Thunder and Lightning storms, I used to go out under the tree, as a kid, even though you're not supposed to do that, just to get a better view. I love stormy dramatic weather. Always have.

Damn you from Canada, and you Thunder storms. That's uncanny. (You know you remind me of somebody...) What other kind of weather do you like, friend?

Yeah I love Thunder and Lightning storms, I used to go out under the tree, as a kid, even though you're not supposed to do that, just to get a better view. I love stormy dramatic weather. Always have.
I would agree until I experienced a thunderstorm while at a pastry shop in Bangkok. There was no delay between the flash of lightning and the thunder, and rain was near horizontal. More like the edge of a downburst. I decided to eat another pastry at leisure to wait out the storm.

Or go to a car show... :cool:
Storm Clouds 01.jpg

Yeah. I love a good thunderstorm. Lightning and that crash of thunder. And the smell of a fresh rain.

A guilty pleasure I suppose.

As I also feel bad for peoples' pets who are often terrified of thunder.

I hate lightning and thunderstorms.
Yet I live in the lightning capital of USA they call it.
Had some super-dow-whoppers today. Twice.

I have an irrational fear of those, and I live in a really bad place for such a phobia. I envy those who find them relaxing!
We have so much in common lol!
I also have an irrational phobia of thunder/lightning. We had a really bad lightning storm here last week. It was wild. Like I could actually see where the lightning was striking because it was so close!
I ended up hiding under the covers…

Ironically, I am 10 times more terrified of thunderstorms than any of my dogs. Most of them don’t care.

I also have an irrational phobia of thunder/lightning. We had a really bad lightning storm here last week. It was wild. Like I could actually see where the lightning was striking because it was so close!
I ended up hiding under the covers…
That happens here like once per week (or in the summer, everyday) and I basically do the same whenever it's close enough. Most people have no idea why I'm so terrified of them, but I genuinely seem to think I'm going to somehow get shocked or die every time it gets that close.

Ironically, I am 10 times more terrified of thunderstorms than any of my dogs. Most of them don’t care.
My dogs used to care but now all they seem to do is bark a lot when it gets loud. My pitbulls just seem to think they can yell at the thunder enough and then it will go away. I love their logic.

Do you have little dogs? Apparently they're more prone to feeling the static in the air when it gets close, and I guess that can freak them out as well. I like to let my chihuahuas cuddle up on my lap so they feel protected from it, but they have no idea that they're actually making me feel better in the process.

Yet I live in the lightning capital of USA they call it.
Well that explains a lot. I thought the state had lost that title at some point but apparently we got it back

Last edited:
I don't like it because those storms take out the power and we have to sit here in the dark. I few years ago a very windy thunderstorm knocked over thousands of trees, many of them fell on the powerlines and lighting destroyed some other things. Took 5 days to clean it up and get the power going again! :eek:

Last edited:
That happens here like once per week (or in the summer, everyday) and I basically do the same whenever it's close enough. Most people have no idea why I'm so terrified of them, but I genuinely seem to think I'm going to somehow get shocked or die every time it gets that close.

My dogs used to care but now all they seem to do is bark a lot when it gets loud. My pitbulls just seem to think they can yell at the thunder enough and then it will go away. I love their logic.

Do you have little dogs? Apparently they're more prone to feeling the static in the air when it gets close, and I guess that can freak them out as well. I like to let my chihuahuas cuddle up on my lap so they feel protected from it, but they have no idea that they're actually making me feel better in the process.

Well that explains a lot. I thought the state had lost that title at some point but apparently we got it back
I’m sorry you live somewhere that it happens so often! :(
I’m afraid I’m going to get shocked or die too.

I only have one little dog, the rest of my dogs are extra-large. The little one is a bit more afraid actually but most of the big ones sleep through it.

Cuddling with Chihuahuas sounds awesome lol

I love stormy weather.
Rain Storming GIF by reactionseditor

I find dramatic and vivid sky very aesthetic.
sky GIF

I find nature very beautiful.
forest GIF

I'm sorry to say this, but I can't stand thunderstorms, because thunder is loud and lightning is deadly. I would often have screaming panic attacks when a severe storm is happening, especially when I have to go outside in one. I would actively avoid anything that is metal or water, as both conduct lightning. I'm doing better than I was years ago in terms of handling thunderstorms, but they still scare me, and I have also developed another irrational fear of clouds in general, especially dark ones.

They are beautiful and terrifying. I love watching the thunderheads expand, and I like seeing lightning and hearing thunder. And then the wild, hard rain and hail that the storm produces.

But I am afraid of the wildfires they produce. And I'm afraid of being struck.

Where I live now, although it rains quite often, there are not many thunderstorms. Maybe one every several years. I miss the rolling deep boom of thunder.

I used to live in Central Florida, on the Gulf Coast. That area is known as "Lightning Alley". There were thunderstorms every day around 2pm, in the Summertime. People would go inside for an hour or so, as the storms moved in. I once saw lightning strike a yard, right across the road from me. It was frightening. When the lightning hit, there was a deafening explosion, and the blast went out about 10 feet or so, of pure light. It was humbling, to say the least.

This is the fiercest storm I've ever driven through here in southern Alberta... As dusk approached a massive storm popped up, as I was driving home from a day trip... I could see the massive clouds to my west as I drove north toward Brooks... Then on the main divided highway I was probably driving at half the speed limit as the rain pelted down and I could barely see... I emerged at the Bassano truck stop to see this cloud with the sun just about to go down... I didn't have long to linger and had to keep driving but I drove out of all of this, but did take a few photos and admired...
Storm Clouds 02.jpg

There was this funny moment at my house the other day:

Me, to Maddog: "Come on, dude. I'm not scared of lightning. I USED to, but that was when I was a kid."
Maddog: "Never say never."
Me: "You're being ridi--*KABOOM!!* [A massive fork of lightning strikes the small field just across from our house, causing a percussive shockwave so loud and powerful it cuts the power briefly.]

(When the power is restored, I am suddenly not in the room anymore.)
Maddog: "What the? Where'd he go?!"
Me, sheepishly tiptoeing the stairs: "I...um...went upstairs."

Last edited by a moderator:
We have some great storm clouds tonight rolling through... I'm kind of tempted to take the camera out tonight for awhile...

New Threads

Top Bottom