• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This really disgusts me

For what it's worth, I totally agree. Reading the article also make me think that this guy has so much potential. Did his co-workers not see that? It's sad.

I feel that he should not have walked away from his job (however, the article does not let us know just how hostile the workplace environment was, though).

He could have used the situation to show ignorant people how capable he is, and showed them he is a great worker. He could have let people know that autism is not to be uncomfortable around. They are stupid people, yes, but over time they would have gotten to know him and like him. By leaving his job, the ignorant bullies got the upper hand, and gained power by forcing him to quit. So the workplace now remains intolerant and hostile.

Millions of people hate their jobs around the world (and always have thought history) They just do them anyways. It’s a great character builder.

Last edited:
All aspies could “come out” in society and thus, start breaking down the common stereotypes of LFA, “Rain man”, the “R” word, Steve Job/ “genius,” etc. Without coming out, how is society supposed to learn?

Otherwise all they have are the media stereotypes, which are inaccurate travesties.

Hey all,

I found this article on the Stuff NZ news website from last year about this autistic man who walked off his job at the time after hearing co-workers say"why did you hire a guy with a syndrome" and as an autistic person myself it really disgusts me that Neurotypical people talk about autistic people in that way. https://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough...ism-unlocks-hidden-potential-in-the-workforce

really messed up to hear.as an aspie,i hate to hear things like these,so much.that's why i hate neurotypicals like these.

I dont blame him for walking off the job. It must have been the best option he was able to handle at the time. I trust his ability to be the best judge of his own stress threshhold.
If i were to have to go back to work, I’m retired, i would not tell an employer I’m an Aspie!

I dont blame him for walking off the job. It must have been the best option he was able to handle at the time. I trust his ability to be the best judge of his own stress threshhold.
If i were to have to go back to work, I’m retired, i would not tell an employer I’m an Aspie!

i wouldn't tell mine either...ever,not even a would-be NT girlfriend !

Last edited:
My employer knows, and those amongst the staff I work with that also know have been very supportive. In this workplace, where I have been for 14 years now, I've not had any problems at all.

In the past, before my diagnosis, I was probably as hard on myself and judgmental of my apparent failures and weaknesses as anyone else could have been, but I've never been anywhere near feeling I needed to leave a job because of the attitude of others.

Overall, that article seems very positive other than that issue, and certainly does make the point that many of us really do have a lot to offer employers, even if they don't realise it. I am very surprised however, that workers complaining about a colleague being 'disabled' would result in anything other than those workers being re-educated in equal opportunities and anti-discrimination policies.

I appreciate that they also told some of his success story.

I wanted to highlight this from the end of article:
National manager Catherine Trezona says she estimates 80,000 autistic people with valuable skills are either unemployed or working in jobs that do not put their skills to good use.

She wants to hear from people with skills such as data analytics, record management, accountancy, software testing and development, cyber security and graphic design.
Contact Altogether Autism on 0800 273 463 or at altogetherautism.org.nz

This is what worries me when I start working is being on the receiving ending nasty comments about my disability.
I just tell people straight out that I'm autistic, so some of my behaviour might at times might be puzzling. Nearly everyone I meet is interested and curios rather than prejudice and those that are prejudice to be honest I feel sorry for

I just tell people straight out that I'm autistic, so some of my behaviour might at times might be puzzling. Nearly everyone I meet is interested and curios rather than prejudice and those that are prejudice to be honest I feel sorry for

This has been my experience too. People have been interested, and asked how it affects me, then typically have been at least a little more respectful of issues I have described to them.

I had far more issues with negative reactions before I was diagnosed, so even I didn't know what my problems were caused by!

This has been my experience too. People have been interested, and asked how it affects me, then typically have been at least a little more respectful of issues I have described to them.

I had far more issues with negative reactions before I was diagnosed, so even I didn't know what my problems were caused by!
Yea, thats it, people seem to respect self awareness and knowledge of our own talents and limitations

I'm "out" to friends and family, but usually not at work. I started a new job 6 weeks ago and I haven't felt comfortable enough to inform people yet. Unfortunately today I got stuck at lunch with a bunch of new coworkers and my boss. My boss was making incredibly insensitive and untrue comments about autism under the guise of teaching my fellow doctors how to spot an autistic person. I tried to correct him, but he told me off, citing his 30+ years of experience on the job. It was horrible because I felt like I could either "come out" right there and then under very painful circumstances, or just sit there and eat my lunch as fast as possible, hoping it wouldn't be too bad. It was though. I was caught completely off-guard by this. I'm used to having friendly, open-minded colleagues. I've never felt like this at my job. I don't feel comfortable going back to work, knowing some of my colleagues think people like me are stone cold psycho killers and subhuman. I've been crying ever since I got home from work. I thought I was past all this ********.

New Threads

Top Bottom