• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This really disgusts me

I am so sorry that happened to you. How awful. I wonder if anyone else at the table had an understanding but were afraid to speak up? Sometimes we find out months or years later we weren’t the only one at the table knowing what was said by the boss was untrue and hurtful. (And stupid)

regrettably, people are often unpleasant with each other

no autisme required to be singled out
we are definitely not alone

you can get hate for:
- being too good looking
- not being good looking enough
- being too smart
- not being smart enough
- racial motives
- sexual preference
- they 'just don't like you'
- a medical condition
- being related to someone
- an accent
- choice of clothes
- choice of friends
- choice of hobbies

and the list goes on and on

The last sentence of that article, I would usually find offensive, but maybe it's a well-meaning attempt to help.

Last four lines of https://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough...ism-unlocks-hidden-potential-in-the-workforce

Altogether Autism chief executive Mark Brown says people with autism want to be employed.

"People with autism often have the critical skills needed by companies such as attention to detail, high diligence, perseverance and a low tolerance for mistakes.

"[But] many have social and non-verbal communication difficulties which means they interview badly.

"It is a brave employer that sees past the autistic traits of the person sitting in front of them."

====

"It's a brave employer"

Is that an appeal to employers to hire us, or is it just that we are so terrifying?

"to see past the autistic traits of the person sitting in front of them."

You know what's braver? To see past the employer traits of the person sitting in front of me.

I think "it's a brave employer" means that many people
are anxious or frightened by the unknown.

So, an employer who has been wise enough to learn
about autism would seem to be brave, to the ignorant
(uninformed or misinformed) employer who has not.

I recently lost a friend for telling him, while it sucked that he lost a prestigious job in part due to discrimination against his autism, that he shouldn't let it ruin his life, which is certainly what he's doing.

I can't speak to whether it was right or wrong for the guy in the OP to walk out of his job and I guess I can't speak to whether it was right or wrong of my friend to still feel victimized by what happened to him after almost a decade. I'm not saying the people involved weren't spiteful, ignorant, and unfair. I believe that they were. Of course a person has every right to have an emotional reaction to that. And it's true I can't know the depth of it. I wasn't there. Furthermore, I'm not always the poster child for personal strength, myself.

I will say do I believe people do have control over how they respond to these situations, however unfair they are, and I think that's something to keep in mind.

I am so sorry that happened to you. How awful. I wonder if anyone else at the table had an understanding but were afraid to speak up? Sometimes we find out months or years later we weren’t the only one at the table knowing what was said by the boss was untrue and hurtful. (And stupid)
I think one of the coworkers I’m friendly with at least realized I was feeling uncomfortable, she shot me an apologetic glance from across the table. Luckily she wasn’t partaking in the nonsense, otherwise I would’ve been even more devastated.

I recently lost a friend for telling him, while it sucked that he lost a prestigious job in part due to discrimination against his autism, that he shouldn't let it ruin his life, which is certainly what he's doing.

I can't speak to whether it was right or wrong for the guy in the OP to walk out of his job and I guess I can't speak to whether it was right or wrong of my friend to still feel victimized by what happened to him after almost a decade. I'm not saying the people involved weren't spiteful, ignorant, and unfair. I believe that they were. Of course a person has every right to have an emotional reaction to that. And it's true I can't know the depth of it. I wasn't there. Furthermore, I'm not always the poster child for personal strength, myself.

I will say do I believe people do have control over how they respond to these situations, however unfair they are, and I think that's something to keep in mind.
I do think one can hinder oneself by getting stuck in the role of victim. Yes, people are vicious, spiteful and unfair. But if you keep stewing in madness over how you have been wronged in the past, you're likely to stop yourself from moving forward. Which is in no way me judging the behavior of the guy in the OP. I just think that, in general, it's best to learn from such events and try to move on with your head held high.

Ugh, this needs to reported as a "hate crime" IMO, contrary to popular belief, Autism IS a disability, therefore it should be covered under "hate crime" laws.

Ugh, this needs to reported as a "hate crime" IMO, contrary to popular belief, Autism IS a disability, therefore it should be covered under "hate crime" laws.
I tend to agree.
Any accusation or negative assertion
feels, to me, like getting hit in the
face with a brick.
What would happen if I openly
began persecuting emotives
(not that that would be too terribly difficult)?

This is what I'd struggle with doing a job if I can even find a company in New Zealand that'll employ me because not a lot of companies employ/want to employ autistic people.

You dont need to tell an employer. Once you are hired and they see what a good worker you are, it wont make a difference anyway.
I was always a valued employee, partly because of the Aspieness. I could focus for long periods of time, get things done accurately, things like that.

You dont need to tell an employer. Once you are hired and they see what a good worker you are, it wont make a difference anyway.
I was always a valued employee, partly because of the Aspieness. I could focus for long periods of time, get things done accurately, things like that.

Yeah that's true but if other employees who are not so open-minded see I have High-Functioning Autism and start making awful comments I don't know how I'd deal with it especially if Human Resources takes no interest/doesn't care.

Ive lived my whole life with the symptoms and traits zip zapping all over the universe and nobody has ever said that I was Aspie. Well, maybe behind my back.
They probably just thought i was the nerd/computer geek that always ate lunch at her desk by herself.
If they call you an Aspie, with a tone of voice that means it is an insult, just say Thank You. Do not use the F word at work, so say Thank You instead of F word You.(but you will know what you really mean!)

Yeah that's true but if other employees who are not so open-minded see I have High-Functioning Autism and start making awful comments I don't know how I'd deal with it especially if Human Resources takes no interest/doesn't care.

Serious question:

What would be your reaction be if other employees (who are not so open minded) do not see that you have high functioning autism but only notice that you're sort of "different" and start hazing you because of it and Human Resources doesn't care? And that starts to interfere with your ability to do your job?

Or, perhaps more realistically, if the coworkers lack the balls to make those comments to your face but simply criticize you behind your back and make things hard for you and give you more work and less support than others and ignore you and/or give you a hard time in a less obvious kind of way? Or they form a clique with you on the outside and that clique wields a political power and "pull" with management that you simply can't stand up to alone?

What would your reaction be if coworkers did this, not because you had autism per se (which the coworkers don't even really know) but simply as a political maneuver against someone who's different and vulnerable, in a sort of nondescript way?

Here, in the states, discriminating against someone because of autism would be illegal, but just bullying them and being jerks on general principal... is not. Even when it's blatant, and even when the management does it. Even when it's for no good reason. Even if someone lost their job because of it. And, while I agree it's unfair, you can't make people be perfectly nice to someone. Or perfectly fair.

I've run into a number of these situations at work, and I'm genuinely perplexed as to what to do. I could complain about "discrimination", but I imagine that would be very difficult to prove and even harder to prove in a case where the people involved didn't even know that I had autism. (Does the word "discrimination" even still apply in cases where people are being "mean" to you because you're different but they don't know that that difference is because of a protected class?) And still harder in a case where I'm not even sure that I have autism. Assuming I could even find a lawyer to take my case when it would probably cost more to prosecute the case than the settlement would be if I won.

Does "reasonable accomodation" (at work) include mandated social tolerance for someone who is a little bit different: not in a way that affects their ability to do their job, but strictly in a social capacity? And, if so, does this mandated tolerance extend to people who are different but do not have a specific "disability"? (For the less intelligent, the less skilled, the less attractive for example: unfair conditions which people are also 'born with"?) What, exactly, is the difference between forbidding discrimination against a vulnerable class (which I tend think is a good idea) and forbidding politics and/or power dynamics at all (which may be a bad and is almost certainly unenforceable)?

Where, exactly, do you draw the line between "this is an unacceptable way to treat someone because of some stupid, arbitrary difference"...and... "mean people happen, and life's unfair for everyone"? As much as I hate it, I'm tempted to believe the latter.

In a way, I almost envy the guy in the article. As unpleasant as discrimination is, at least he knows that he's being discriminated against, and knows why, for sure. I have to think that, as bad as his situation is, that that fact must be some small comfort, as opposed to not knowing.

Last edited:
I think "it's a brave employer" means that many people
are anxious or frightened by the unknown.

So, an employer who has been wise enough to learn
about autism would seem to be brave, to the ignorant
(uninformed or misinformed) employer who has not.

There's hardly any of those around outside the voluntary sector IMO.

New Threads

Top Bottom