• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking that you are the only one?

Tigris

I wonder if anyone here has encountered a situation when an Aspie first encountered another Aspie. Something like the above video of X-men: First Class. The words stir your emotions of making connection after being alienated for so long in a NT environment.

Do you guys/gals feel the same when you first encounter another Aspie especially in Aspiecentral or maybe face to face?

Share your feelings here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. I feel as alienated among people with Aspergers as I do among Neurotipical. I guess having a brain that functions in a similar way is not enough to establish a social connection.

This question is not applicable to me.

But I only feel alienated when someone else is simply cutting deep into my vested interests, and just tears and rips them apart. Just my opinions.

This question is not applicable to me.

But I only feel alienated when someone else is simply cutting deep into my vested interests, and just tears and rips them apart. Just my opinions.

Define cutting deep into interests? Sorry to ask.

Since you can talk about X-Men, let's talk about my new interest - music by Oasis.

May not interest you, but it helps to explain the idea of vested interests.

Look at the story:

Oasis is mainly made up of the two Gallagher brothers - Noel, the big brother, and Liam, the little brother.

Liam formed Oasis with a few other band members in 1991, but Noel asked to join Liam's band on the condition - that he can write songs, while his brother Liam sings them.

Then Noel and Liam produced a few albums. The first one was the biggest indie music album in UK, the second, even hotter.

But then, much as Oasis helped in Noel's and Liam's careers, Noel and Liam are fighting against each other, attacking the very base that made them successful. Then time came, when the two brothers began to see that they can't work together.

The band disbanded in August 2010, if I'm not wrong.

Who else really understands each other better than brothers? But then, who else also knows each others' weaknesses than brothers?

If Liam just refuses to sing Noel's songs, which are definitely more superb than Liam's composition anyway, and that Noel doesn't want to let Liam sing his songs in the dreamy, laid-back style that many more people loves - are they hurting their own interests by not following their 'success formula'?

I think many people here will definitely know what I mean by 'vested interests'. It means those things that make and define you. And only those who have the ability to understand you and help you better define your interests, will definitely help, but at the same time, hurt you the most, very much like the Gallagher brothers.

Oh this one I do agree. Animal knowledge and zoology has defined part of my personality. Without those, there is no Me.... These two subjects and their viewpoints have made me what I am. So has your interests.

However back to the topic, I have observed aspies who joined aspie groups or meet another Aspie in real life. You can imagine the shock and surprise that these guys express when they meet another one like them.

In the video, Charles Xavier's expression and remarks is a common thing I observed for newcomers into an Aspie Group.

Nothing bad about it, it's a good start!

Well I don't feel what Aspies feel, but if it's the case for other ASDs, it should help in their lives.

Everyone is different. But I believe in our group, we do have differences but we cannot deny that unlike the NT world outside, we feel more comfortable amongst our own kind. Even mid functioning member of ours mentioned that he felt the first time in his life, so natural and less fearful in our group.

However, just to explain. I find that this feeling is a start of something wonderful. An Aspie who finds himself rejected by society at large can eventually find sanctuary at last. At least better than finding "fake" friends who make use of Aspies as "slaves" or "animals."

Haha... more about fake friends later! :)

I do make fake friends myself too, because there are some friends who simply... well, just use other people's money for their own good, with no heart totally.

Let's not find them, or else!

But we're not the only ones

Btw my friend, you know that mid functioner I was talking about right? He didn't had the courage to take a stand against those thugs that treated him like an animal. When I say animal that means, treating someone like a lower caste. No true friend will treat his friend like a workhorse. Friends treat each other with respect, understanding and equality. Same between you and me.

I have met another aspie irl, I met him through his artistic mother when she asked me to babysit him. He is just turning 12 years old and is very intelligent. I once volunteered for a aspie project (at the time no idea I had aspergers) which was just a male group. Other than that, I have not met very many aspies. It would be interesting to meet a female aspie irl though

My wife and I have both met other aspies in real life at Autscape, which is a conference type event that takes place in England once per year.

Neither of us ever felt that eureka moment you seem to be describing. Infact, I felt quite alienated as most people there were very social.

Maybe it's individual feeling. I guess nothing bad

However when my group of Aspies like 6 Aspies go on in a group outing, few of them related to me how for the first time their lives, they dun feel alienated in fact, they were sorta touched and surprised to know that they are not alone.

They are not alone when they first meet autistic people. But then... the more you know an autistic person, the more you don't know him... That's true for most people

I hope there's no NT bashing again -

But anyway, I see the probability of two autistic people quarreling much, much higher than an autistic-NT quarrel. It's more than 50-50 in the former, and less than 50-50 in favor of the autistic person, as he'll usually seek people with similar interests, added with 'friendliness'.

New Threads

Top Bottom