• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking about getting my own apartment and finally getting away from this life i'm in.

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
After what could be the n-hundredth time Maddog has made eating conditional based on whether or not i do a good job cleaning the living room, accusing me of blaming him for not bringing in money and the usual mishmash of discord in our house, and what could be the millionth time they've both fought over something trivial, I've made up my mind on getting my own place live.

It's not like I haven't thought about it before. But according to a few sources, my SSI apparently won't be able to cover monthly rent anywhere, or so I've been told. I can't go back to a group home because they'll just take my check again and only give me $60 of it every month, and what will that do for me if i need money for something really important?

I don't want to be screwed. I just want to preserve my sanity. I don't want to be known as the guy who killed himself over living in a crazy family!

I just want to love my life the best way I know how, and I want my family to do the same. I at least want my life to be meaningful, and be able to say i could do certain things on my own and not have someone come behind me to make sure I did it right, and most important of all, I would certainly love to be able to get a full length of sleep without being woken up just to help my dad play a video game, or be woken up out of a dead sleep to CLEAN A WHOLE LIVING ROOM WHEN I BARELY HAVE THE ENERGY TO KEEP MY HEAD UP!!

I've had just about enough of all this crap! The fighting, the arguing, the scraps I get into, and the cleaning. The erroneous, constant, endless, neverending cleaning. I have picked up trash, vacuumed that floor, thrown things away, scrubbed and done all manner of cleaning in the time it takes to go to college for a full year, and EVERY. TIME. I DO, it goes RIGHT BACK TO GETTING MESSY AGAIN.

I've HAD IT! I've had it with ALL OF THIS!

But this is where i need you guys' help.

Google is not my friend when it comes to searching for apartments that support SSI. I've looked everywhere and i'm about to look on craigslist, or just somewhere. I'm tired of having no way to do anything, i'm tired of constantly being out of food, i'm tired of cleaning every day, i'm just tired of this life and i want my own life!

Can anyone here help me find something? Or at least tell me what to do?

Do you have a caseworker?

---
I've sent some links to your Inbox, information regarding low cost housing in your state.

In my city, there are SRO (Single Residence Only) apartments. Those are very low income studio apartments where the rent is fixed at an extremely low amount, around $400-700 a month. They are furnished with a bed and dresser, and have a little kitchenette with cabinets, a sink, and a small fridge. There is usually a bathroom at the end of the hall, but some apartments have restrooms in them.

Section 8 usually always has a wait list, but get on the wait list. It will take a few years, but eventually you'll only pay 1/3 of the rent for housing for the rest of your life (or until you're no longer low income).

Here is the link to your local housing authority. They would have all the information on Section 8, Public Housing, and SROs in your area. They take applications on Tuesdays and Thursdays: Housing Application

On the subject of the group home: They take all your money and leave you with $60? That's pretty much true to life even if you have your own place.

Speaking of your own place, Apartments.com shows apartments in your area for as low as $389 per month. Here is the link of the list I found. 2,388 Apartment Rentals Found Nearby | Apartments.com

ROOMMATES- someone always has a room available in a house somewhere.

You're a grown man, you have no children, and free money from the government every month, for the foreseeable future. Your life is your own. Whatever future you make is your own.

Last edited:
The government recently passed an Emergency Rental Assistance program related to Covid-19 that may allow you to get an apartment right away and only pay 30% of your income for rent.

If you don't qualify for the Emergency Rental Assistance program, you can apply for Section 8 but it will probably take years. Many Section 8 wait lists are closed which means they won't even accept an application to join the wait list. If you don't mind moving, I believe you can apply for Section 8 housing vouchers anywhere in the country.

Best of luck uber, honestly. Sometimes a situation you are in is just a stepping stone to a better one. Stumbling blocks become stepping stones, sometimes the difference between the two is just a matter of perspective.

Now I have never visited a group home, much less lived in one, so I really dont know what they are like. There are actually a lot of things about where you are living now that are troubling. The conditions there, the relationships you have with relatives there and how they treat you, all bother me.

Thing is I never sat down and talked with you, we haven't hung out yet. Tactless one am I but, how messed up are you? Not everyone on the spectrum is as disabled as other folks are. There is a lady here who has alot of serious problems and she lives independently, so there is one case that proves it can be done. I dont think you are in her situation, she is my hero actually.

This group home thing i wonder about a bit. Could it be a stepping stone into another life? Would you feel safe there? Maybe safety would be enough for you to get your act together and find a direction in life. Can you work for a living? Could you go to school? Could you get certified in something simple to do that could support you?

All important questions that only you can answer. This is such a big step for you, I'm proud of you. A man is his own life. Many men feel trapped by circumstances, often times there are options that can be almost impossible, but achievable somehow. I believe in you. I do.

Maybe safety would be enough for you to get your act together and find a direction in life.

Sounds harsh and judgmental I guess, but we are each responsible to guide our own fate, I am glad to hear you talking about becoming more than you are, together, we rise.

Hey great. The problem is how much is your check depended on by Maddog? That might be the reason for the craziness. If you are sleep deprived and hungry, they have created a prisoner type of routine which keeps you helpless and under their financial control. So if you make plans to leave, it will have to be fast. You will need any id. State id would be great to have. A birth certificate and paperwork that has your SSI breakdown of benefits.

I left my marriage and had to sneak out W2 of my ex for divorce purposes. All the financial paperwork vanished about a 1/2 year before l was leaving.

Good luck. Freedom can be a struggle but it is always worth the struggle.

The 1979 Tom Petty song Refugee reminds me a lot of your current dilemma.

Somewhere somehow somebody musta kicked you around some
Who knows maybe you were kidnapped tied up taken away and held for ransom
It don't really matter to me, everybody's had to fight to be free

SRO hotels are an option that aren't as plentiful as they once were, at least on the West Coast. They were declared "slum housing" and mostly demolished or renovated as luxury apartments or hotels. Section 8 is another option, but wait lists are long and move slowly. Another option is a shelter for victims of domestic violence. They mostly cater to women but they might take a man if you explain the situation to them and emphasize that you're a victim of domestic violence and not some predator creep. Yes, you will need a copy of your birth certificate and your Social Security card, as well as getting a state picture ID, for which you will need your birth certificate.

The 1979 Tom Petty song Refugee reminds me a lot of your current dilemma.

Somewhere somehow somebody musta kicked you around some
Who knows maybe you were kidnapped tied up taken away and held for ransom
It don't really matter to me, everybody's had to fight to be free

SRO hotels are an option that aren't as plentiful as they once were, at least on the West Coast. They were declared "slum housing" and mostly demolished or renovated as luxury apartments or hotels. Section 8 is another option, but wait lists are long and move slowly. Another option is a shelter for victims of domestic violence. They mostly cater to women but they might take a man if you explain the situation to them and emphasize that you're a victim of domestic violence and not some predator creep. Yes, you will need a copy of your birth certificate and your Social Security card, as well as getting a state picture ID, for which you will need your birth certificate.

I think i'm gonna try SRO first, if I can find anything.

10:47 AM , Maddog has a headache and its making him angrier by the hour..

All my parents do is fight nowadays. I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE!

New Threads

Top Bottom