• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you hated about school...

AGXStarseed

I came across the video below, talking about 10 things we all hated about School.

How many from this list did you hate, and are there any other things you hated that aren't on this list?
Here's my reactions to each one:

1. Teachers Bending / Teacher's-Butt-in-your-face: I only recall this one once or twice, and for the few times it happened I was just hoping the teacher didn't pass gas.
  2. Rise and Shine: I have to get up earlier now in order to be at work on time then I had to get ready for school, although getting up at 7:00am to compete with my siblings in getting ready for school on time was always a hassle - especially in regards to us squeezing in a car and fighting through the traffic to get to school on time. It got easier in later years as we ended up moving literally next to our schools, but it was still a pain. I always considered it an irony how we as kids would struggle to get up in the morning on a weekday for school, but were perfectly capable of waking up early on the weekend to watch cartoons. :D
  3. Health/S** Education Class: Thanks to having an Autism social/friendship group in school at the time, I actually skipped most of these to learn how to improve my social skills. For the few times I had to attend, I didn't enjoy it. As an adult, I've no intention of having kids - nor do I have an urge to find a girlfriend anytime soon.
  4. Teacher's Pet: Some would say I was like this, although this was only in response to getting bullied and not just for anything someone in the class did, as I'd realized that would only make things worse for me; not that it did any good anyway.
  5. Bullies: Do I need to go into much detail? Funnily enough, the bullying for me didn't really kick off until I had to move from one Primary School to another, as I was with people who hadn't grown up around me and took offense to me. High School was the real pit of hell that I had to survive through - just every day involved something with the bullies, and I do wish I had some kind of video camera I could have worn to get footage of them being (censored insult) to me so I would have a better chance of getting them dealt with properly; just telling the teachers every day did nothing.
  6. School Lunch: School meals generally weren't fantastic at my school, and I was at school when Jamie Oliver brought in his healthy food changes which slowly eased fast foods like chips, burgers and pizzas off the menu. I don't really remember the meals that much anyway, but they were edible and satisfied my hunger until it was time to go home. The dinnerladies as well seemed fine - I don't remember any been particularly nasty.
  7. Algebra: To quote the Nostalgia Critic, "And I'll be damned if I can't remember one algebraic equation from all my days of school, but yet, years later, I still remember every damned word of the Coo-Coo Cola song from Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers". Bottom line, I found Algebra to be a useless subject.
  8. Mean Teachers: Yeah, I had a few of these; one of whom earned the nickname "Mr Temper-Tantrum" because - like Barry "SHOUT AND THE DIRT IS GONE!" Scott from the Cillit Bang adverts - he always seemed to communicate through shouting alone and seemed to really make life difficult for students who didn't like P.E.
  9. Exams: I managed to avoid one set of these during my time in Year 6 at Primary School due to serious injury (not something I recommend), although I still had to sit them in Year 9 at High School and later my GCSEs in Year 11. The teachers would give you scrap versions of old exams just so you could learn how to answer the questions while my class and myself would watch videos like ReviseWise to reinforce this while also genuinely teaching you the subject of the exam. Still, the exams were ridiculously stressful.
  10. Homework: Yeah, I used to hate this big time. As Seb in the Kathy Hoopmann book Haze brilliantly put it, School is for schoolwork and home is for us to recharge after spending our day listening to the teachers blabbing on.
So what about you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Recess, hated that.
The hallway
The cafeteria
Most the students
Most teachers
Assemblies
P.E. class
Riding the bus
Class parties of any kind
Math
And almost everything else....

Oddly, I loved a good test. Except math. It was like a game to me and I would try, particularly in high-school if I sick and had to miss test day. Rarely did any homework though.

I used to hate bullying by far the most, I got it worse since my parents insisted on sending me to a normal school against all expert advice, so I was different and I used to really suffer for it, especially at comprehensive school in the UK. There was incidents where I had meltdowns and other kids tried to get me to have them by doing all sorts of horrid things on purpose for instance, then I'd often get sent home and I remember the head teacher saying to my parents that it's not my fault, it's just that the teachers here aren't qualified for my needs, but my parents still kept arguing to get me to go back there. I had a terrible time.

I hated things like PE (physical education) where I had to do things in a group, I was terrible at it and hated it, I was always the one who would conveniently forget his kit as I preferred the punishment which was often writing an essay instead of actually doing PE and occasionally I was even left to do my homework. My only ideal time at comprehensive school was spent in the computer room which in those days housed 8 bit Research Machines 480z computers (they were naff even then in the 1980s), the only thing I was brilliant at and often I'd stay there after school too, before returning home to my home computer.

On a lighter note regarding teachers bums in your face, well one female teacher in maths used to do this all the time and I would make fun of her by pretending to put a ruler up her arse behind her back which went on without incident for weeks. The dare was to get the ruler as close to her oversized arse as possible behind her without her noticing and obviously without actually touching her, often I would have to very quickly turn around when she started to think something was wrong and act totally normal despite loads of other kids sniggering. Anyway one fateful day it really backfired on me, I was playing my usual daring game and suddenly the teacher stepped back a little too far before I could move the ruler away and it stuck right up the middle of her arse, I always remember her scream, "oooooooo" at high pitch, I turned around quickly in shock, but it was too late and I was the only suspect in range. I immediately got sent out of class to the head of years room which is where we was sent to be disciplined, but I surprisingly got away with just a warning and I think the head of year teacher secretly found it amusing lol!

Last edited:
The people.

The boredom.

The cane and the slipper as punishment.
Slippering one's backside then expecting me to sit down on it.
Caning one's palm and fingers and then expecting me to pick up a pen and write again !

Mean teachers. We would play football at recess, and loudly argued a lot being that there was a lack of referees what with it just being a game at recess. One well-known ***** of a teacher was fed up with listening to it through her open window and called an assembly of all the football players. She told us some huge speech about how football is now banned, and my favorite quote, "you don't need to practice. Not one single one of you is ever going to make it to the NFL. So don't use that as an excuse".

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND my former classmate just signed a 4 year, $19,246,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $4,000,000 signing bonus.

pwned. pwned SO FREAKING HARD.

Being hit by the nuns with a strap for talking in the hall to other students.
Being hit by a nun with a blackboard eraser for passing a note.
Being hit by the nuns with a wooden pointer for not paying attention.

Having the length of your tunic measured as you entered the school.
Being checked and inspected each day for; nail polish, perfume, makeup and jewellery and then checked for cleanliness of clothing, hair and fingernails.
Having the inside of your desk and locker inspected each week.
If it wasn't neat and clean you were made to wash the hall floors with a scrub brush and bucket, after school.

Last edited:
Bullies, and the accompanying garbage about how one element of school is to learn to socialize.

Living hundreds of miles from any school that might have been useful for me.

Having to sit around many classes wondering why all of the others couldn't learn this stuff as quickly, even if we were taking it for the third or fourth time.

Having to repeat stuff we learned in a previous grade.

Not being able to be homeschooled even though my mother was a qualified teacher.

Having my one intellectual equal moved ahead an extra grade because his mother hounded the administration to do so.

Being streamed, then moved to a different stream, then destreamed, then restreamed.

Having to take Grade 12 physics in Grade 11, which is REALLY REALLY HARD. Trust me, REALLY REALLY HARD.

Split classes. Smart Grade 3 with smart Grade 4 wasn't that bad, but smart Grade 4 with weak Grade 3 was a clusterbomb.

Having a PE teacher for math in Grades 10 and 11. The only good thing about that was that at least he tried.

Having to take Grade 10 math twice because the curriculum the first time had virtually nothing to do with what our school was teaching. (I passed, but it was unrealistic to have any hope of passing Grade 11 math. Understand that I took the Grade 10 math while the rest of my classes were in Grade 9.)

Mandatory typing class. Wait, that was actually a good thing.

Questions on a math test that could not be completed by the class because they required material that we had not taken.

The school bus. I just outright quit taking it during junior high because the bus line disobeyed basic safety rules, and it was encouraged in the name of saving time and money. It was about minus thirty that first day.

Not being allowed to eat lunch at school from Grades 7 to 11. It was only allowed for about 10 of us in Grade 12 because, for the first time in school history, there was a class for us at 12:20.

Mandatory track and field meet, Kindergarten to Grade 11. I have always been incapable of sprinting.

Having a 60-minute lunch break in Grades 1 and 2, even though it was almost impossible for very young students with the longest distances to walk (no bus at lunchtime!) to walk the distance both ways and have something to eat in that time frame. (From Grade 3 to Grade 11, it was extended to 75 minutes.)

Inability to foresee problems, which resulted in my mother getting a broken clavicle when I was in Grade 6.

Homework. It is the worst.

Students who had little or no hope of post-secondary education taking the University Entrance stream.

Bright students taking the General stream.

Teachers that waved the white flag on September 1.

French class, not because I didn't want to learn French, but because no one else did. (This was far, far, worse than any other class save maybe Grade 12 Biology.)

A French teacher for whom French was his second language, and English his fourth or fifth.

The utter chaos that can ensue when all 13 grades are contained in one building.

That one girl that was semi-mainstreamed when she had no business in a regular classroom, and all but two students in the class letting her know that constantly.

Of the approximately 40 teachers, administrators, and librarians I came across in 13 years, only one giving a tinker's damn about my mental health.

If anyone asks me why I never had kids, Reason Number One is that I don't want to subject them to the public education system.

2 things I hated about school, (especially Jr. High):

The property... that includes the building itself
and most the people in it...

But I lived through it, so at this point its a past I don't worry over anymore.

1. Didn't like this.
2. Hated this.
3. Didn't mind.
4. I don't know if there ever was one.
5. I wasn't bullied much. A little, but I was lucky.
6. I didn't buy lunch much, and the few times I did, it wasn't bad.
7. Meh, it wasn't that bad. Calculus, on the other hand...
8. I had a real problem with these, and not just mean teachers, but otherwise nice teachers who would hurt me and then get mad at me for getting upset.
9. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
10. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lunch, where to sit, who to sit with, when no one likes you because you are 'weird' or 'different' not accepted in any groups where do you sit.
I struggled with recess also, mostly in early elementary school because girls weren't allowed to play sports. In later recess years I would just play football or soccer so it wasn't this awkward solo time.
But overall I found lunch a bit more difficult because in sports we just played but trying to figure out where was acceptable to sit and what to talk about... No thanks lol

English was also hard. I struggled with writing due to what I now gather was executive functioning. A lot of anxiety and shut downs.

And of course the bullies.

Bullies as many had said.

Teachers who seem to side with the bully and make the victim out to be the instigator. That made my blood boil.

The social structure among students that seems to start around adolescence that evolves into something like a prison like environment.

Homework, I despised.

Busy work. Especially if it were homework that seemed to serve no practical purpose.

I'm so glad to not be in school. Adults would tell us to enjoy our time then because it's the most fun time of your life. ******** I say. I did MUCH better when past that era of life.

1. Teachers Bending / Teacher's-Butt-in-your-face: Not too many mental scars
  2. Rise and Shine: I did a paper round and had to get up at 05:30. School was an hour away by public bus.
  3. Health/S** Education Class: But they didn't tell you how NT/ fairer sex thought.
  4. Teacher's Pet: Some would say I was like this, although this was only in response to getting bullied and not just for anything someone in the class did, as I'd realized that would only make things worse for me; not that it did any good anyway.
  5. Bullies: Just the worst.
  6. School Lunch: Ok when chips (fries) were on the menu. I used to hate curry as a result of what was served. They even managed to muck up burgers.
  7. Algebra: x= why?
  8. Mean Teachers: The sports teacher was a barsteward. I just hated sport. Part of the lack of coordination thing. I was useless and never got picked for teams
  9. Exams: Oddly I performed way above expectations. Exam conditions suited me. Lovely and quiet.
  10. Homework: Something to do on those hour long bus journeys. Unless I happened to share a special interest in the assignment.

The worst thing about school was that I was bored. Primary school wasn't terrible in this respect, secondary was horrible, university was hit or miss in this regard. I just hated that classes are geared and paced for the slowest learning students. I basically slept through grade 9 algebra and still got A-grades on all homework and tests. I went to university in later adulthood, so I would f--- with the teachers that were boring, often by asking advanced questions that they didn't understand or couldn't answer. I'm afraid the other students in these classes disliked me somewhat, but I was SO over the social thing that I just didn't care.

The other most hated part of secondary school (grades 6-12) was phys-ed. The sports part was OK, it was the locker room that was the worst.

I was soooo bored in school. In most of the subjects I was smarter and more knowledgable than the teachers. Unlike others here (not to mention most of the rest of humanity) I loved algebra, calculus, and physics, and I ended up going much further in those subjects afterward. I got bullied a lot in grade school and the teachers did nothing because they didn't like me either (one time a boy way bigger than me punched me in the face and made my nose bleed, and a teacher caught me inside trying to clean myself up, and I got yelled at for being inside during recess even though I was dripping with blood; nothing was done about the boy who hit me).

I did like PE and for a while I was a star in track and field, but of course that didn't make me popular or anything; the reason I could run so fast was mostly because I had to in order not to be beaten up all the time. Oh, and the recesses: 15 minutes of being stuck shivering outside in the freezing Canadian winter at temperatures where frostbite is a real concern. For some reason I don't remember the recesses when the weather wasn't so cold, except when a bunch of kids used the teeter totter (see saw) to catapult me up in the air to a great height. It was actually great fun at the time, but now it occurs to me that they were trying to injure me.

In high school I didn't talk to anyone, and at lunch I would eat while wandering the halls because it was too humiliating to have to sit and eat alone. Of course I didn't have even a single friend. It was only when my mom was taking teacher training herself (unfortunately after I finished high school) that she found out that she could have demanded that I be skipped ahead another grade or two (I had already skipped a grade when I first started because I was way ahead of the other kids). There was no gifted program in my high school so everything was taught at the same pace to everyone. The main problem was that the same stuff was taught over and over and over again. Even though I took French for several years, there were verb tenses that we just didn't ever cover and which I am now having to learn for myself.

I hate that they lumped everyone together saying that it was good for learning social skills. Well, news flash: NTs don't need to learn social skills; they apparently already have them built in, and people like me are simply not going to benefit from being bullied and mistreated by everyone they encounter, including the teachers. All in all school was a huge waste of time for me. I would have been better off entering university really early because at least they taught at a pace that would have challenged me a bit.

Being hit by the nuns with a strap for talking in the hall to other students.
Being hit by a nun with a blackboard eraser for passing a note.
Being hit by the nuns with a wooden pointer for not paying attention.

Having the length of your tunic measured as you entered the school.
Being checked and inspected each day for; nail polish, perfume, makeup and jewellery and then checked for cleanliness of clothing, hair and fingernails.
Having the inside of your desk and locker inspected each week.
If it wasn't neat and clean you were made to wash the hall floors with a scrub brush and bucket, after school.

Wow...Church based school sounds more like hell to me... Yuck
But I am sure there is some reasoning behind the madness. : )

Last edited:
I hate that they lumped everyone together saying that it was good for learning social skills. Well, news flash: NTs don't need to learn social skills; they apparently already have them built in, and people like me are simply not going to benefit from being bullied and mistreated by everyone they encounter, including the teachers.

Yuck, yuck, yuck, even today YUCK! I hated group studies... I hated assemblies... I would sneak out and usually get caught, but sometimes I made it out and was long gone. I was the one that had to be watched, because I would be gone if they weren't paying very close attention... They never knew where to look for me because I never went home or to any of the other places I stayed. I went to the river and climbed a huge pecan tree where I could see for a very long distance. I would just stay there until school was out and then I was back to my normal abnormal...

Luckily they knew things weren't exactly right, and I only got "licks" once. I scared everyone, it was storming ... For some reason the principle cried after whipping my butt... and then he just grabbed me up and held me... We had a long talk (where he did all the talking) and many more later. I could actually go to his office anytime I needed too. This is one person I will never forget from when I was a kid. He didn't "get me" but yet he knew I needed him too really bad... So he tried very hard. He was a good guy.

In my yearbook I was called "the escape artist."

I was so board in second grad they moved me to third grade right after school started... It was weird because I was still 5 when I started first grade. So when I graduated I had only been 17 for 4 months...

I was the baby of the school bunch, but that made no difference to the bullies whatsoever. Plus I was really small until maybe my Sophomore/Junior year, and I finally started growing. School basically sucked, but it was better than the differing places I called home at times. I was glad to grow up and find my own way and I still am.

New Threads

Top Bottom