• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you hated about school...

What you described is how I'm like nowadays.
It's a shame we didn't have internet players like Iplayer and ITV Player when we were kids, as then we might have been able to watch the shows we wanted at any time without having to get up early in the morning.

It was the 80's, the Internet as we know it now hadn't been invented yet.

1. Teachers Bending / Teacher's-Butt-in-your-face: Never noticed this
  2. Rise and Shine: Never had a problem with getting up for school, I enjoyed the morning walk.
  3. Health/Sex Education Class: Sex ed was just fine, didn't find it awkward or boring, some of it was actually quite fun (learning to put on condoms was a brilliant class, so funny) and the rest was important and useful information.
  4. Teacher's Pet: Never noticed anything like this. Maybe that means I was the teachers pet? The teachers liked me because I was quiet and a high achiever... I wasn't a snitch though, and never gave any teachers an apple.
  5. Bullies: The only thing I hated about school. Bullies basically ruined my child hood and caused on going mental health issues.
  6. School Lunch: I never ate school meals, took a packed lunch, but in primary school the dinner ladies assigned us seats in the hall as they opened up so no one ever got to sit with their friends which was rubbish, but I guess it got us all to eat quickly and go outside to play.
  7. Algebra: I loved algebra.
  8. Mean Teachers: Never had one.
  9. Exams: Didn't like them, but didn't really dislike them either. They were super easy so I didn't have to stress or put much effort in to get top marks.
  10. Homework: Yeah, homework sucks.

The only other thing I can think of is how in Post-16 (AS/A level years, after GCSEs) we no longer had Sets (class groups assigned based on ability). Going from being in the top sets with other A* students to being in class with students who barely got Cs in their GCSEs was a big shock. The slow pace of the classes took all of the joy out of my favourite subjects.

haha I just went back and read the other comments and someone mentioned Rounders... yeah WTF is with that game, I have no idea what the rules were. I normaly enjoyed PE because I was rubbish at it and me and the other non-athletic kids where just allowed to mess about and do our own thing while the teachers concentrated on the good students, but on stormy days we were taken into the hall to all play rounders together which was hell.

Health/Sex Education Class: Sex ed was just fine, didn't find it awkward or boring, some of it was actually quite fun (learning to put on condoms was a brilliant class, so funny) and the rest was important and useful information.
I assume that you were practising on bananas???

I wonder what the girls were doing in the meantime.

no, we had plastic model penises, proper scientific :smile: you were separated for that class? We did it all together.
For that class, we were put in front of a TV and given a Horizon documentary on reproduction to watch "The Miracle of Life". It was nothing that I didn't already know. My parents had bought illustrated books on the subject already to educate us.

Edit: the book was about the human body, not specifically about reproduction, but it had a chapter about it, with illustrations, of course.

For that class, we were put in front of a TV and given a Horizon documentary on reproduction to watch "The Miracle of Life". It was nothing that I didn't already know. My parents had bought illustrated books on the subject already to educate us.

Edit: the book was about the human body, not specifically about reproduction, but it had a chapter about it, with illustrations, of course.
:frowning: That's it? Even in primary school sex ed was more thorough than that! In secondary school we had an entire half term of both science and PSHE lessons dedicated to puberty and sex and so on.

:frowning: That's it? Even in primary school sex ed was more thorough than that! In secondary school we had an entire half term of both science and PSHE lessons dedicated to puberty and sex and so on.
Yes, that's just about all you got in the early 80s in the UK... or in the school I was at, at least.

Another aspect of school I didn't like, during the Junior years I used to go home for lunch, but then in secondary I was forced to stay for lunch, and it was a nightmare, square shaped Pizzas? Eh?! 75p for a buttered bread cake with 2 slices of cheese? Seriously what idiot thought that was good school lunches?
Mrs Thatcher did, presumably. It was she who axed the minimum nutritional requirements for school dinners in the early 80s, and that's how the situation remained for 20 years until Jamie Oliver took up the cause.

Mrs Thatcher did, presumably. It was she who axed the minimum nutritional requirements for school dinners in the early 80s, and that's how the situation remained for 20 years until Jamie Oliver took up the cause.
Arghhhh, don't get me started on Thatcher lol, if this was the Politics & Religion section I'd be writing loads, but I'll just have to bite my lip and leave it with this:

v8Kz9gY.png

Last edited:
  1. Teachers Bending / Teacher's-Butt-in-your-face: Never noticed this either. But one had horrible breath.
  2. Rise and Shine: I always got up just fine. My sister on the other hand wouldn't. Lost track of all the times she made me late because I had to drive her. To this day she's still late for everything.
  3. Health/Sex Education Class: Closest thing we had to sex ed was they brought in a couple jocks and a swimsuit video, and kept telling us how were supposed to feel all turned on over it. Sorry I was a late bloomer, I didn't get it. No real education. Also a very high percentage of teen pregnancies for how small of a school it was.
  4. Teacher's Pet: I was for math and woodshop. Didn't bother me, because these teachers would pull me out of government class (which I hated) to help with fun stuff.
  5. Bullies: Ongoing health issues made me extremely undersized and in a tiny town, bullies were inevitable. I took my things home many times and wished never to come back.
  6. School Lunch: Elementary I liked a few things, especially the soy burgers. Never once ate at school for all 6 years of high school. Thankfully it was open campus, just walk a few blocks up to the store, friend's house, mom's restaurant.
  7. Algebra: I loved math. I was a whiz on both TI and Casio programmable calculators and they had just hit the market. Some of the younger girls called me Mr. Calculator.
  8. Mean Teachers: One in particular. Had tenure on his side, he would spend most of the class with his feet on his desk reading the newspaper. Didn't even check papers, he would make us switch with somebody then just record those grades even though most people screwed up the checking. He would loudly call you stupid if you asked a question. Made rude comments about a girl's makeup then walked up and squirted her face with his water bottle till she was a mess and she left in tears. Also was the girls basketball coach and eventually got fired (only as coach) for hitting on the girls. Eventually retired and died of cancer in his 60s. I'm not sad.
  9. Exams: I always seemed to do just fine. I didn't cram before them. I just did a quick review at the last minute and called it good.
  10. Homework: Very rarely had any homework. Managed to get everything done at school. Then again by my senior year, I had 3 study halls.
Which brings me to the thing I hated the most (except the bullying of course). It was a town of 400 people. At least half the people (not me) were related to the school staff, how you got treated depended on your last name. People beat me up and they'd go free and I'd be in detention. Everybody spread so thin wearing many different hats, they knew a little bit of everything and were an expert in nothing. There was just so few offerings, and unlike today, no choice to change schools, or to take early college courses, and weren't allowed to leave early. I'd have had 4 study halls (out of 7 class periods) if they didn't let me take a 5th year of shop so I'd at least have something to do. I noticed after I left they got rid of the woodshop, the teacher retired and went off to play music. I went as far as the math teacher knew. I taught the drafting (also shop) teacher things. All they had in band was wind instruments, no strings, I didn't have the lungs for that. I hated sports anyway, but you either played basketball or nothing. Didn't even have home-ec because nobody to teach it. Our library (in the lunchroom) was always closed because nobody was ever there to run it. Elementary school was one box divided by wheeled chalkboards, so you'd have to listen to the first graders singing every day. They had a wolf spider habitat that got loose once, plagued us for months. 5th and 6th grade were in the same room.

Hands down I'd rather live in the middle of nowhere. But if I HAD to live in a city/town of some sort, make it a bigger place. I'd not like the traffic and noise, but I'd have offerings and anonymity, plus availability for delivery so I wouldn't even have to go out as much and deal with that traffic. A small town has no offerings, nothing but misery with all the headgames they play. It's quiet to go out, but I'm never alone, the whole town knows my life and makes it into whatever they want. Then they rig their prices and whether they will service you, based on who you are. I've seen it with my dad and others. Like about half of us, I left immediately. Townies stuck around, one in my class married his cousin, had kids, kept the cycle going.

My daughter is in the ideal place down in Grand Rapids. Goes to a huge school with offerings for anything she could ever want. But is just 1/4 mile off the highway on a quiet woodsy 10 acres, for half the rent as you'd pay up here.

Same as with my job. I enjoyed school and learning things. I always got good grades. I just couldn't stand where I had to do it.

The thing I disliked about school was being in trouble. In primary school I got in trouble in class every other day for little things like putting soap in the fish tank, playfully hitting people, or disrupting class. One of my teachers would watch me from a window and wait for me to do something wrong and the first time I messed up, even if it was something as little as making noises, she would take me to the office. I would have to spend half the year in the principal's office. Since I was getting in so much trouble I was often times accused of things I did not do. Some of these things were pretty serious. At the end of second grade, my mom and dad found out about this outdoor therapeutic camp that was not too far from the house. It was a camp that troubled kids would go to for a year. I spent a year in that place and only had to go to school for a couple of hours a day. Then I graduated from the camp a year later and went to elementary school. My teachers were a lot better now and I only got in trouble once or twice a year. By the time I got to high school I vary rarely got in trouble but there were still several things I disliked about it. My biggest issue was some of the teachers punishing the whole class for the actions of one person. Then sometimes somebody would pick on me and when I fought back the teacher would fuss at me and do nothing to the person who started the fight. I liked pretty much everything else about school.

I didn't mind schooling days, I couldn't handle the kids who were so loud and wouldn't shut up. Supposedly I kept getting in trouble for talking too much (I was pretty much mute till I was diagnosed at 3 years old so I guess I am making up for lost time) when I was in kindergarten and had to repeat the 1st grade.

1. I didn't mind sex ed, it was an uncomfortable topic but when everyone around you is talking about sex and ended up having babies because of it. I did get an A+ on project listing all of the diseases when no one would at all for embarrassment, I did it solely for the grades nothing else.

2. I hated that the whole class was punished for one kid who did stupid crap on purpose. Why in the hell would you ruin the flow of the class just to piss off the rest of the class? Were they looking for someone to beat the crap out of the kid who was being an idiot?

3. Lunches, I loved talking and eating my lunch with my friends. Then I kept getting moved to classes because most of the teachers couldn't handle my quirks (I just kept talking but I did pay attention, I just kept moving my feet back and forth to pay attention or I would end up falling asleep everytime).

4. I really didn't care if I was a teacher's pet, most of the students were just jealous or thought that I was spoiled and was a suck-up. More then likely they had low self esteem and thought that it would break my spirit, newsflash I really could have cared-less what they thought. I was mostly just hoping to get the hell out of there in a timely fashion so I could go home and rest before I had to do tons of homework.

5. Most of my teachers put on movies in the classes and I found that so boring. If I wanted to watch movies, I would have done that at home. My parents tax dollars didn't need to pay for that, the movies weren't even that educational at all.

When the nuns hit us with wooden board pointers if we didn't pay attention, on the side of the head, usually.

When they hit you with a leather strap on the hands, for talking in class, passing notes, not doing your homework, or if your writing or school work was untidy.

Being bused to school for forty-five minutes twice a day, for many years.

Having to wear these in gym class, right up to the eighties:

ca47d4364117cc98563fd1936d1704df.jpg

Everything! At the workplace toilets, I have memories of one of the taller bullies (girl) jump up over the top of the toilet cubicle and laugh at me ‘doing my business’. I was too traumatised to even do anything and just stood there frozen. I didn’t even need the toilet. It was my way of protecting myself by hiding from such a dominant and hostile school during intervals.

Everything! At the workplace toilets, I have memories of one of the taller bullies (girl) jump up over the top of the toilet cubicle and laugh at me ‘doing my business’. I was too traumatised to even do anything and just stood there frozen. I didn’t even need the toilet. It was my way of protecting myself by hiding from such a dominant and hostile school during intervals.

Could have been worse; She could have taken a photo of you doing your business and spread it around the school.
(That happened in the first episode of Inbetweeners - 5:17)

New Threads

Top Bottom