• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you hated about school...

Wow...Church based school sounds more like hell to me... Yuck
But I am sure there is some reasoning behind the madness. : )

It was indoctrination, when I consider it now, it seems more military-like. Think the school for girls, with boys on the other side being taught by brothers, was to create good catholics. I think I was frightened the entire time I attended the canadian convent.

Went to two different catholic convents, one canadian and one american. I liked the american one better, the sisters wore sneakers and played baseball with us at recess, and didn't use corporal punishment. One thing I did get out of it, was a good, solid base for study and learning. Yet it was lacking in some areas; math and science and sports for example.

The emphasis I think was to create good catholic girls, who would marry other catholics and raise large families. But it didn't work, as it was the end of the sixties, and the old methods didn't work any longer. I took cooking and sewing classes, while the boys had algebra and woodworking I think.

Algebra was actually the only part of maths that I didn't have a problem with.

Other than that, I'd say the main thing was the sheer amount of people. The cafeteria was almost unbearable.

I actually mostly enjoyed math or at the very least didn't struggle with it except for word problems. I took a bunch of extra math classes in high school.

School dinners, albeit this was only a problem at the primary school I attended between age 7 and 11 which tended towards the "you're not leaving the room until you've eaten everything on your plate" rule.
Having to hold hands in dancing lessons, as most of my fellow pupils had nasty sweaty hands.
Being left out whenever the teacher uttered the dreaded instruction "find yourself a partner" or "get into little groups".
Being picked last for teams.
Being forced to play netball during winter in short-sleeved aertex shirts and gym knickers whilst the teacher was allowed to wear puffa jacket, scarf, gloves etc.
Rounders. WTF are the rules of that stupid game? The only good aspect I can remember was that at the aforementioned primary school we got bussed to Hampstead Heath for our lessons, where I could while away my time deep-fielding by making daisy chains or identifying woody nightshade in the hedgerows.
Getting into trouble for forgetting to bring the right textbooks, stationery etc to classes or leaving it behind on the train - and being mercilessly piss-taken by the rest of my family who presumably thought this shaming approach would do me good.
Overhearing my classmates talking about the parties they'd been to last weekend. If I ever asked (in the politest way possible) how I could be invited, I got the cryptic response "You don't get invited to parties, you just go!" Total lack of sympathy from my parents who told me that good exam results were more important than a social life, notwithstanding that all the academic high-fliers I knew (including my brother) managed to have both.

I never had any sex education, unless you count the Tampax nurse and a run-through of human reproduction towards the end of the GCSE combined science course. I gather these days it's called sex and relationships education (SRE for short). I'd have been quite interested to have learnt something about relationships, assuming that it is something that can be taught.

Has anyone here (from the UK) taken part in Young Enterprise? The idea behind this is that pupils in Year 12 (equivalent to 11th grade in the US) set up pretend companies, sell stuff around school, recruit shareholders, wind up the company by the summer term and then go on to pitch their company at the regional or national finals if they're really dedicated. My school were really big on it, with typically three YE companies set up each year and quite a few prize-winners resulting from them. I must admit I was initially intrigued as to how this worked, but then in Year 11 we were treated to a inside account of YE by a girl in the year above and I was put right off. I remember she said "You'll spend the best part of the first half of the autumn term arguing about what your product is going to be ... you really discover who your real friends are." Looking back I wonder (as so often) what difference it would have made if I'd been diagnosed then and had a support worker - could/would she have helped me take part in Young Enterprise or would she have just said "Oh if you don't like the sound of it you don't have to".

I didn't appreciate this at the time, but later I really resented the fact that my school didn't prepare me for the workplace. Their attitude was "You're all going to university so you won't need careers advice for a few years yet". Little did I know how difficult it would be to find work experience during my university vacations with a career history of sweet FA.

Last edited:
i can't relate to anything on this list. except bullies. i was bullied a lot in elementary, and it got even worse in high school. the teachers did absolutely nothing but watch. however, there were other things i hated, too. i went to a catholic school. it was a litttttttle bit culty, and i didn't have many friends when i graduated. the ones i did have were assigned to me by the spec ed department, and liked to pick on me when no adults were around.i became an athiest because i started reading about cults at 12 years old, and it reminded me way too much of what i was being taught. another thing i started to hate when i got older was class. class in general. i had a teacher call my class "a bunch of retards" when i was in grade 7. i knew i started her rant, and i started having some really harmful thoughts. i always hated asking for help, because it made me seem less smart then everyone else. sometimes i just sat there during a test, feeling like an absolute idiot because i wasn't smart enough to do everything on my own. i was bad at math, and still am. i'm really good at it when i know what i'm doing, but i need a lot of help to get there. social skills were always difficult for me, and i would get really overwhlemed when i was in class because of it. i would kindof do something like a meltdown where i would always be really loud and obnoxious in social situations, and i had zero control over it. i would get in trouble a lot for meltdowns and social errors. i have never made a team or club in my life, and that was always a yearly dissapointment. i also had trouble eating lunch at school, and easily forgot and lost stuff. other than that, i just have a lot of anxiety and feel like an alien among my age group.

Being bullied and my teacher unable to help me out. Something else I especially hated was " Teacher! Person did ____ blank to me!" Teacher: "I didn't see it happen so I can't do anything about it." I really hated that one. Now that I've worked with little kids, I find myself saying this sometimes. I know the kid in question did something bad, but without solid proof, I can't report it to my boss. It's a bad situation from both sides.

Science, partly cos Mr Lyons, the Science teacher was a complete numpty, but mostly cos it was THE main lesson I got bullied in. Also Spanish, I hated the teacher, he was a complete git, and finally, Maths, don't get me wrong Mr Bradley was a nice enough bloke, but his teaching methods were pants.

The lessons I did like were French (cos I had a crush on Mrs Townshend, the teacher), English and Drama with Mr Kearns, and PE with Miss Whitehead, she understood that I couldn't catch a ball any more than I could catch a cold lol, and I was crap at Rounders (the English version of Baseball).

And don't even get me started about Mrs Freeman, the Head of the "Unit", to say she was a bit of a Dragon would be insulting to Dragons! Mrs Ambler was nice though, well as nice as you can be being from Barnsley :D

I always considered it an irony how we as kids would struggle to get up in the morning on a weekday for school, but were perfectly capable of waking up early on the weekend to watch cartoons.

I could never get up early on the weekends or the weekdays even when I was little, and was always sad and frustrated because I'd miss the best cartoons on Saturday morning. I can do it now to a point but I pay a price of sleep deprivation and my body eventually revolts.

In addition to getting up early, I hated being expected to sit still for hours; Being expected to pay attention to boring lectures; Being expected to regurgitate memorized facts and not question anything rather than develop critical thinking ability; Being expected to learn stuff that I would never use and didn't care about; Being expected to show my work in math; Being expected to see metaphor in everything in English.

I also hated the intervention, the confusing and unhelpful "help" from teachers and school counsellors with regards to my social skills/social isolation and whatever other problems they might have suspected I had. I just wanted to be left alone.

Last edited:
I really disliked the amount of mandatory group projects we had. Other than that I didn't really hate anything.

It might be quicker for me to list what I did like.

1. School dinners.

Another aspect of school I didn't like, during the Junior years I used to go home for lunch, but then in secondary I was forced to stay for lunch, and it was a nightmare, square shaped Pizzas? Eh?! 75p for a buttered bread cake with 2 slices of cheese? Seriously what idiot thought that was good school lunches?

I hated changing from one subject to another. If I started the day on maths then I wanted to spend the whole day doing maths. I would get really angry if the teacher asked me to stop. I had the same issue when it came doing only one part of the textbook or whatever set work we were given. I wanted to keep going and finish the whole lot before stopping. I remember one teacher specifically who would constantly tell me off and send me to the library (which she thought was punishment) because I wouldn't stop working on something. Fortunately, the headmaster was a bit more understanding.

I used to hate double maths! Thing is, even now I can do mental arithmetic almost literally with my eyes closed, but put a page of sums in front of me and unless it's very basic I can't do it.

I used to hate double maths! Thing is, even now I can do mental arithmetic almost literally with my eyes closed, but put a page of sums in front of me and unless it's very basic I can't do it.

Reminds me of when I had to redo my key skills upon starting my apprenticeship - meaning I had to go to College one day a week to redo my ICT as well as do a course alongside it.
When it came to trying to do the exams, my mind would just freeze up looking at the questions, like my brain was running on clockwork and someone had jammed something into the mechanism.

Thankfully, the college had better ideas then my school did. When it came to the exams, I got taken into a separate room with my support staff member, he would activate a dictaphone to record the exam and would read the questions to me out loud - which I found surprisingly effective as I was able to use what I knew to answer pretty much all the questions (and had some interesting discussions with my support staff member at the same time. He was a great guy. :))

I could never get up early on the weekends or the weekdays even when I was little, and was always sad and frustrated because I'd miss the best cartoons on Saturday morning. I can do it now to a point but I pay a price of sleep deprivation and my body eventually revolts.

What you described is how I'm like nowadays.
It's a shame we didn't have internet players like Iplayer and ITV Player when we were kids, as then we might have been able to watch the shows we wanted at any time without having to get up early in the morning.

Assemblies. I started to skip assemblies, but got caught and got detention.

Dancing classes.

School packed lunches. My family were poor and couldn't afford school lunches.

PE, team games. The captains were allowed to choose the players for their team and I was always left to last.
Mr R, the pervy PE teacher. Mr H, the sadistic music teacher. Mrs A, who never gave me anything more than a C no matter how hard I tried.

Having to go outside during the break.

The school bus ride.

School uniform. Having to wear skirts.

School rules without any purpose other than to create rules. Rules for the sake of rules.

The Tannoy.

Snobby cliques.

Boredom.

English literature classes. Double English Lit. I like reading, but hate analysing and writing essays.

Writing essays.

Algebra. Geometry was ok. Maths was never my favourite subject, but loved science.

New Threads

Top Bottom