• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things that you normally Carry on you/"Comforters"

[QUOTE="Rayner, post: 295933,
Out of curiousity why do you Carry two pocket knives? What two knives do you carry?[/QUOTE]

Nothing special. A 4 blade Camillus Yello-Jaket. I liked it because it is a small knife, and hard to find one with 4 blades. It has one serrated blade that I try not to use to keep it sharp. One blade I broke using it as a tool for a job it wasn't made for.
pocket knives.JPG
The other one is just a random one blade knife that a friend gave me years ago. It has a nice narrow blade that is good for getting down inside of tight spaces. I carry it because we occasionally work together on jobs, and when I need a pocket knife, I'll use that one so she can see that I actually do use it. I use them about everyday for one thing or another.

Nothing special. A 4 blade Camillus Yello-Jaket. I liked it because it is a small knife, and hard to find one with 4 blades. It has one serrated blade that I try not to use to keep it sharp. One blade I broke using it as a tool for a job it wasn't made for The other one is just a random one blade knife that a friend gave me years ago. It has a nice narrow blade that is good for getting down inside of tight spaces. I carry it because we occasionally work together on jobs, and when I need a pocket knife, I'll use that one so she can see that I actually do use it. I use them about everyday for one thing or another.

In my leatherman there is a one plain and one serrated blade. I don't use the plain blade much on my leatherman since my pocket knife clipped in my pocket it makes the leatherman blade redundant. Recently I've started carrying my buck 55 in my left pocket with my cellphone. I absolutely love my buck 55 it was a gift from my parnets when I was 6 years old then two years later when I was 8 my uncle gave me his buck 110. I like my 110 buts it's really heavy since it's made of brass. My everyday knife has a 4 inch blade but weighs 2.3 ounces where as the 110 weighs near 10 ounces. I like my 55 since it's really light, it's an iconic design, the blade is 2 1/2 inches long witch is long enough for most jobs but still enables it to be able to do really fine work.

Last edited:
I hope this is not too snarky (teasing) but I should carry my durometer so you could ask me about that ;-)

I don't mean to be mean it's just that a while ago I got for a very good price a very old durometer, an instrument for measuring the hardness of rubber and some plastics. I like to measure things.

If anyone is interested it is a Shore A type durometer and mine seems to have been made in the early 1960's.

I hope this is not too snarky (teasing) but I should carry my durometer so you could ask me about that ;-)

I don't mean to be mean it's just that a while ago I got for a very good price a very old durometer, an instrument for measuring the hardness of rubber and some plastics. I like to measure things.

If anyone is interested it is a Shore A type durometer and mine seems to have been made in the early 1960's.
it's not too snarky at all. How does it work? I like to measure things too.

I am going to try and include a photo of a durometer. I tried to find a smaller picture but this is unfortunately large. If you look you can see a small needle protruding from the anvil or base of the durometer. You place the instrument against the rubber and press down for 1 second. The needle on the gage will move to a higher number the less the needle is able to move, meaning the rubber is harder. Rollerblade and skateboard wheels are assigned numbers like A78. The "A" refers to the A scale of measurements which is good for measuring most soft to very firm rubbers or plastics. The A scale will not measure a gel.

It was invented by a single man who founded the Shore Instrument Company and I am very lucky to have an actual Shore in the original wooden box with instructions. I removed and then re-installed the glass cover after I polished it very smooth and clear with #0000 steel wool. It is not mine in the picture but similar.
59792_01.jpg

Nothing to spectacular; my iPhone 6s, my keys and my wallet. Often I have my backpack on me with my iPad and a pen and notepad... that's all.

Usually with my messy handbag, but if I don't carry a bag, then:
my iPhone with earphone, wallet with money, keys and Octopus card(a kind of stored value smartcard for making electronic payment) are a must.
I would die without my earphone. (sensory issue is horrible).

Most of the time: Sunglasses, tiny sketchbook, a couple of stim toys, keys, 2 chrocheted mice from my daughter, mints, a knife, several pens, a cotton scarf, phone, money, glasses, bottle of water, lip gloss or "chapstick".

If going out walking in town: just sunglasses keys and phone and a few mints.

Front left pocket: phone (Moto X Pure)
Front right pocket: wallet, keys, flashlight (Streamlight Stylus Pro), knife (Spyderco Delica 4)
Face: sunglasses (Maui Jim Maui)

Most of the time: Sunglasses, tiny sketchbook, a couple of stim toys, keys, 2 chrocheted mice from my daughter, mints, a knife, several pens, a cotton scarf, phone, money, glasses, bottle of water, lip gloss or "chapstick".

If going out walking in town: just sunglasses keys and phone and a few mints.

I have not heard of stim toys. Because of what I do for a living I always have a bunch of stuff in my pockets. Nuts, bolts, wire terminals and other stuff. If I am not busy working, I am always fidgeting with the stuff in my pockets. I guess all that stuff must be my stim toys.

Front left pocket: phone (Moto X Pure)
Front right pocket: wallet, keys, flashlight (Streamlight Stylus Pro), knife (Spyderco Delica 4)
Face: sunglasses (Maui Jim Maui)
We carry the same flashlight mine is black. Does your Delica carry tip up or tip down in your pocket? My knife carries tip up in my pocket for some reason I prefer that over tip down. But I'm not sure why. Lol

I removed and then re-installed the glass cover after I polished it very smooth and clear with #0000 steel wool.

That's very interesting Grommet, would using this method on a glass cover of any kind work? Thinking about re-polishing a glass (crystal lens) cover for an railroad watch that belonged to my Grandfather? The watch itself works but the crystal lens is so scratched it's barely possible to see the watch face.

Last edited:
I have not heard of stim toys. Because of what I do for a living I always have a bunch of stuff in my pockets. Nuts, bolts, wire terminals and other stuff. If I am not busy working, I am always fidgeting with the stuff in my pockets. I guess all that stuff must be my stim toys.
Yes :) My toys are just bits of fine chain I bought at the hardware store and connected one link to the other to make a few loops. Helps when I need to listen and talk to people (to avoid rocking or pacing).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 203
That's very interesting Grommet, would using this method on a glass cover of any kind work? Thinking about re-polishing a bezel glass cover for an railroad watch that belonged to my Grandfather? The watch itself works but the lens is so scratched it's barely possible to see the watch face.

Mia, I don't know. I heard about the technique and used it and it worked very well. As I said I used #0000 steel wool, the finest grade and I polished gently for a long while. In the end all the scratches were gone, the glass was clear and it felt so silky to the touch. I was very glad it worked out. I did it thinking there was a risk it could scratch the glass but there was no problem. You said the glass on the watch was so scratched you can barely see through it so I don't think you have anything to lose. It might take a long while but it was very relaxing for me. Just a little pressure and lots of repetitive motion. Just to mention, I did this with the glass dry, I did not add anything. Oh one more thing. #0000 steel wool is so fine that it comes apart pretty easily so I did all my polishing inside a large plastic bag to catch all the steel fibers as they broke off. I also wore nitrile (purple) gloves. You could probably do it bare handed. I wouldn't.

If you try it please let me know if it worked. :)

That's very interesting Grommet, would using this method on a glass cover of any kind work? Thinking about re-polishing a bezel glass cover for an railroad watch that belonged to my Grandfather? The watch itself works but the lens is so scratched it's barely possible to see the watch face.

Glass is harder than steel so it should work. When you polish something you don't want to use anything harder than what your polishing. Suppose you are polishing a piece of steel you would want to use a brass wire brush since brass is softer than steel. Since Your polishing glass steel wool should work, the fine the steel wool the better. Then give the glass a nice wipe down with a clean soft cloth, once your done your watch should look great.

Glass is harder than steel so it should work. When you polish something you don't want to use anything harder than what your polishing. Suppose you are polishing a piece of steel you would want to use a brass wire brush since brass is softer than steel. Since Your polishing glass steel wool should work, the fine the steel wool the better. Then give the glass a nice wipe down with a clean soft cloth, once your done your watch should look great.

The face glass on my durometer is very smooth, quite pleasant to touch actually. I wanted to polish it even more but it was so clear and smooth there wasn't any more to do.

I have heard that polishing is making smaller and smaller scratches in something. I do not know if that is correct. If that is I wonder how something softer than the polished material could be scratched. What do you think?

New Threads

Top Bottom