• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

They studied pregnenolone. It helps.

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
I came to pregnenolone on my own, as a sleep aid. I've recently upped my dose and it seems to help a lot. Turns out, there are studies showing it helps people on the Spectrum.

Brief Report: An Open-Label Study of the Neurosteroid Pregnenolone in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder

With none of the side effects known from other drugs. Why isn't this common knowledge?

I wish I knew. The literature is FILLED with studies that show over the counter/available online supplements are helpful for the Neurodiverse, and I've tried lots of them myself with good effect. I wouldn't be here now if I didn't try things on my own, because doctors just want to give me drugs like Prozac and Ambien and Lipitor that have horrible side effects.

And don't help.

The science is out there. Thank goodness.

I agree with Sportster. It is about money. I begged my Drs for a feedinng tube because I have a feeding disorder where I can't eat and food makes no sense. But that cost too much, so they just kept hammering away at therapy, but it's not mental, so it never helped.

BUT studies showed that 86% of tube fed girls did better compared with 23% who only had therapy!!!! SOmetimes eating disorders are NOT MENTAL but they won't listen. "You are in Denial" is code words for "There is a cheaper way that won't help you, but that is all you are getting."

They are worse than in denial. They are killing people for money or killing people by holding back care.

Do you know there are people making their own cancer vaccines, through biohacking? Look up "DIY Cancer Vaccines." That is how bad it is. I almost had to place my own feed tube.

All that said, I am LOOKING into than supplement right now!!! Thank you, Bear

I have brought printouts of studies into my doctor’s appointments. But then, I have a good doctor who does listen to me.

Interesting.
@WereBear, do you take this to help with sleep problems, anxiety, or ?

The notes *mention that all the subjects but one were on psychotropic medicine during the study, and that it was open label. I'm curious what results are found when/if a much bigger study with controls, etc., is done.

edited to add:
If there is something in addition to exercise that would help me sleep and significantly lower my anxiety with no bad side effects, that would be wonderful, and I'd take it.

*"Ten men and two women with ASD (mean age 22.5 ± 5.8 years; range 18.1–35.5 years; 9 Caucasians and 3 Asians) met the study criteria for inclusion in this open-label study. One participant failed inclusion criteria due to incidental findings on the baseline EKG (right bundle branch block and possible right ventricular hypertrophy). All participants were taking psychotropic medications with the exception of one subject. Concomitant medications were maintained at the same dosage throughout the study and 8 participants were on second-generation anti-psychotics, 3 on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, 4 on mood stabilizers (including lithium, valproic acid, carbamazepine), 1 on buspirone, 1 on trazodone, 1 on diazepam, 1 on zolpidem, 2 on melatonin, and 1 on benadryl."
(italics added by me)

Last edited:
Interesting.

The notes *mention that all the subjects but one were on psychotropic medicine during the study, and that it was open label. I'm curious what results are found when/if a much bigger study with controls, etc., is done.

edited to add:
If there is something in addition to exercise that would help me sleep and significantly lower my anxiety with no bad side effects, that would be wonderful, and I'd take it.

*"Ten men and two women with ASD (mean age 22.5 ± 5.8 years; range 18.1–35.5 years; 9 Caucasians and 3 Asians) met the study criteria for inclusion in this open-label study. One participant failed inclusion criteria due to incidental findings on the baseline EKG (right bundle branch block and possible right ventricular hypertrophy). All participants were taking psychotropic medications with the exception of one subject. Concomitant medications were maintained at the same dosage throughout the study and 8 participants were on second-generation anti-psychotics, 3 on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, 4 on mood stabilizers (including lithium, valproic acid, carbamazepine), 1 on buspirone, 1 on trazodone, 1 on diazepam, 1 on zolpidem, 2 on melatonin, and 1 on benadryl."
(italics added by me)
eat a lot of foods with tryptophan in them you can find a list on the Internet

Interesting.

It helps with sleep, when it’s nighttime, helps me be more alert in the morning, have more energy when I am tired, and reduces anxiety all the time.

It has stopped a panic attack in its tracks.

It is a hormone precursor which I prefer taking even compared with taking hormones. Because this way, my body decides what to make with it, which can vary, as you can imagine. It is my theory that my overworked brain and state of stress runs down my supply of whatever it is my body makes from the pregnenolone. I have not run across any side effects, even though I am currently taking up to 1k a day.

In the literature the only side effect is when people are also taking hormones with it, which throws things out of balance. It has been studied extensively in factory workers during WWII with no problems.

Why doesn’t anyone know about it? Probaly because it is a natural substance that cannot be patented so no one makes any money. Because it works better, for so many things, than anything else I have tried.

It helped even when taken with some far more dangerous substances. Many of them are known to cause brain damage, like tardive dyskinesia.

Make up your own mind and monitor your reactions.

I didn't read through all the messages, but I have major sleep problems. Can this be bought over the counter do you know? I don't really feel like going to another doctor to get another prescription. It seems like a lot of us share a similar sentiment towards doctors. I agree with @Sportster on the cancer thing. Sad, the type of society we live in. I do taxes for a living and I've seen what some oncologists make. It is crazy. I'm all for people making good money so they can live a good life. But I suppose the doctors are not really in control of the situation either necessarily.

I have seen it in supplement stores, but I buy mine online or through Amazon. Life Extension Brand is the one I use.

I showed the study to my doctor. She thinks it's worth a try, so I'm in.

What kind of dose do you use? I'm finding suggest doses in the sub-10mg range but that study was significantly higher.

What kind of dose do you use? I'm finding suggest doses in the sub-10mg range but that study was significantly higher.

I started with 50mg. Worked my way up to 1k. But keep in mind that I am a post-menopausal woman with only one ovary; I need a lot of help :)

I would start with the amount in the study. They didn't have any problems, and it sounded like they had serious issues.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom