• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Reasons Behind Interests

One reason might be that if you pursue an hobby with other people, you have the chance to learn new details about your special interest, details that only these people were able to spot. Socialization is exhausting, but it's a source of knowledge. If you are into an hobby you want to know all of it, regardless of the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using AspiesCentral.com

One reason might be that if you pursue an hobby with other people, you have the chance to learn new details about your special interest, details that only these people were able to spot. Socialization is exhausting, but it's a source of knowledge. If you are into an hobby you want to know all of it, regardless of the effort.

I like the idea of taking one-on-one lessons from someone! I enjoy that it's a structured situation. And I get to learn, which is one of my favorite things.

Right now I'm planning on producing music recordings for two different people. It's going to require an awful lot more sensitivity than I've previously demonstrated when it comes to helping someone improve their music.

Some people have done it without such sensitivity:
5 Artists Reportedly Held at Gunpoint by Phil Spector | Mental Floss

I'm looking forward to the challenge. Music is so very personal to people, and you really have to be able to put your own ego aside in order to be critical and still encouraging.

this world needs more GOOD music teachers. my last experience with a music teacher was them asking if I was an athlete and then asking me to demonstrate multitasking skills via physical tests [rub head/pat belly and switch hands rapidly without a hitch, or "quads" tapping feet and patting hands in circles then reversing without a hitch] and failing miserably at such, only to be told I was wasting everybody's time because only people who are athletic and have fluent multitasking skills can be good musicians. I can see how she was probably right because I don't know how a drummer or an organist can do what they do without being able to multitask [each limb has its own brain section running it without interference from other parts].

Wow...reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons when the music teacher tells Lisa she won't have a future as a musician because she has stubby fingers. Never mind that she's eight.

You would think that a music teacher would judge your musicianship by how well you play music!

The "athletic" bit--I've never heard that before! 'Cause, you know, there's so much overlap between band and sports teams in high school... wtf! She sounds like she was a bitter, bitter woman. One who played sports while the kids who put in hours of practice went on to become professional musicians!

I'm looking forward to the challenge. Music is so very personal to people, and you really have to be able to put your own ego aside in order to be critical and still encouraging.

And the bit I forgot to say--I think having to guide someone else will be a great learning experience for me!

It's one thing to be able to please oneself with music; a whole other to be able to please many. (Insert masturbation metaphor/joke-but-not-really here.)

Nick Drake (who was probably an Aspie) wrote, in his song, "Hazey Jane II": "If songs were lines in a conversation, the situation would be fine."

I've made a bunch of music for only me, and while I enjoy the experience of just creating, it's even nicer when I can connect with people.

I love to share and talk about my hobbies and interests with other people, but they are rarely so deeply interested as I am. I guess I'm less likely to want to partake in hobbies with others,but if they are interested as I am, then I'm all for it! So I guess I would agree that most of my hobbies and interests are aomething I pursue because I want to, and any socializing as a result is fine with the caveat that they are equally or more greatly invested.

New Threads

Top Bottom