• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The night is noisy and full of distractions

Bolletje

Overly complicated potato
V.I.P Member

I remember seeing this episode of Elementary way before I got diagnosed and feeling shaken to my core. This monologue so accurately describes how out of place (or out of time) I feel in this world, at times. Sure, being alive in this day and age has a lot of perks, but the toll simply existing takes on my mental health some days is high. This monologue makes me wonder if they have an Aspie on the writing staff, as I think this resonates with many of us.

Well, that clip sure does some magic-y stuff. Suppose I'll have to make my time machine and go back in time... The only problem is, I couldn't decide when to go to!

Introspective - beautiful, amplified, articulate.

Absolutely resonates with me and my experiences.

Well said. I've always figured that our increasingly fast-paced and increasingly complicated world has contributed to increases in ASD diagnosis. It sure makes sense. There are increasingly more inputs are person needs to process these days. Plus, in a sense we now have to manage two separate worlds instead of one - the real world and the internet world. Although the internet helped me learn about ASD, it has also made the world a more complicated place to live in.

Physically shivered when I watched it. Had not seen this particular program before. The pursuit of peace and quiet has been a driving force in my life, since I was a child. Ran to the woods for quiet each day that I could. Moved from the city and retired for the quiet and peace. Don't know how I managed all those years in the city.

Without all the technology and sensory inputs living in this era unconditionally projects upon us, I can't help but wonder how much more efficient autistic people would have been born in earlier times.

At least that's what comes to mind first and foremost. Or was I way off from the real message? I've never watched the show "Elementary" myself, but know of the character. o_O

Might be fascinating to discover that in earlier times people on the spectrum were more revered and respected rather than disparaged. With less sensory inputs they might have used all their excessive sensory inputs in an optimal fashion rather than experience overload. Just a thought, anyways. :cool:

Last edited:
In days gone by, a off or ecentric individual like Einstein was given a wide berth of respect. Today, every snowflake is afraid that anyone not perfectly balanced and outwardly friendly is a threat to their bubble.

Times have changed.

Back then people ignored or worked around. Today, they Diagnose and medicate in order to control.

We do know that Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character, but given that we didn't know about Autism until the 1940's, and Asperger's until the 1990's, how many great people of history were Aspies?

Talking to someone recently about this, he described a famous person from history many years ago (forget who) who was well known for passing by the same spot every morning at the exact same time, almost to the minute, does that not sound like an Aspie trait?

Talking to someone recently about this, he described a famous person from history many years ago (forget who) who was well known for passing by the same spot every morning at the exact same time, almost to the minute, does that not sound like an Aspie trait?

That is passionate obsessive and naughty love right there, or good coffee.

I will also agree that I sometimes get intimidated a little by how well some people (even most people) seem to navigate social media.

I've generally just thought of it as the struggles of an older guy in his 40's, yet see other people my own age or older seemingly navigate social media with much more ease.

It does sometimes seem like the people with the most social media presence and popularity seem to get ahead in this modern world, while I struggle with it and often feel like I'm falling behind.

New Threads

Top Bottom