• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The most scared you have ever been...

OMG!!! :eek::eek: I’m glad you are safe, as well as everybody else.

My scariest moment was February 27th, 2010, 3:34 am, when a 8.8 Earthquake hit Chile for 3 minutes. We were on a 6th floor in Santiago. What happens in war movies, when everything gets silent and you hyperfocus, happened to me. I only knew I had to save my kids.

So far, that has been the 11th most intense eartquake in history. Lists of earthquakes - Wikipedia

Also, Hurricane Andrew, Category 5, in Miami, in 1992. Hurricane Andrew - Wikipedia

The day of the widespread riots on February 26 & 27, 1989 in Caracas, when they even suspended constitutional rights. Caracazo - Wikipedia

The Venezuelan failed coup-d’ètat of april 11th, 2002, when the government was shooting the masses that were protesting and my mom was among them, and we didn’t know about her whereabouts for several hours.

2002 Venezuelan coup d'état attempt - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I think the really scary things are those that like Chance's bush fire, are dangerous and protracted.

When I've been in danger it's been short and over quickly with little time to reflect.

Hate to say it, but sometimes it was kind of fun - even the snake that tried to bite me.

My scariest moment was February 27th, 2010, 3:34 am, when a 8.8 Earthquake hit Chile for 3 minutes. We were on a 6th floor in Santiago.

So far, that has been the 11th most intense eartquake in history. Lists of earthquakes - Wikipedia

Also, Hurricane Andrew, Category 5, in Miami, in 1992. Hurricane Andrew - Wikipedia

The day of the widespread riots on February 26 & 27, 1989 in Caracas, when they even suspended constitutional rights. Caracazo - Wikipedia

The Venezuelan failed coup-d’ètat of april 11th, 2002, when the government was shooting the masses that were protesting and my mom was among them, and we did know about her whereabouts for several hours.

Wow - that's some list.

There can't be much scarier than coups and civil warfare. No way to predict anything at all.

My scariest moment was February 27th, 2010, 3:34 am, when a 8.8 Earthquake hit Chile for 3 minutes. We were on a 6th floor in Santiago.

The Venezuelan failed coup-d’ètat of april 11th, 2002, when the government was shooting the masses that were protesting and my mom was among them, and we did know about her whereabouts for several hours.

Good Grief Girl, you ARE lucky to be alive. You really have had some amazing experiences. No wonder you're such a strong lady.

I think the really scary things are those that like Chance's bush fire, are dangerous and protracted.

When I've been in danger it's been short and over quickly with little time to reflect.

Hate to say it, but sometimes it was kind of fun - even the snake that tried to bite me.

I’m not sure if “fun” is what i felt BUT there was this strange rush... i call it intense focus...

Maybe this is why lots of people are what others call “adrenaline junkies”... Something went on inside me during this and I would never for a second want to relive it... but that

“Feeling” that “awareness” I liked it. I felt in control while everything around me was basically horrifying for about 3 hours. However, now I’m exhausted, every muscle in my body hurts, and I breathed way too much smoke and ash... So maybe it wasn’t as grand as I thought...

I’m like one of those cartoons... I cough and smoke comes out... : )

My scariest moment was February 27th, 2010, 3:34 am, when a 8.8 Earthquake hit Chile for 3 minutes. We were on a 6th floor in Santiago. What happens in war movies, when everything gets silent and you hyperfocus, happened to me. I only knew I had to save my kids.

The Venezuelan failed coup-d’ètat of april 11th, 2002, when the government was shooting the masses that were protesting and my mom was among them, and we didn’t know about her whereabouts for several hours.

a75afab04e0d3c9b4fa45ac29ba9524a.jpg

I’m not sure if “fun” is what i felt BUT there was this strange rush... i call it intense focus...

Maybe this is why lots of people are what others call “adrenaline junkies”... Something went on inside me during this and I would never for a second want to relive it... but that

“Feeling” that “awareness” I liked it. I felt in control while everything around me was basically horrifying for about 3 hours. However, now I’m exhausted, every muscle in my body hurts, and I breathed way too much smoke and ash... So maybe it wasn’t as grand as I thought...

I’m like one of those cartoons... I cough and smoke comes out... : )

I've been in some shakey, chaotic situations, where there's been a little voice going "OMG, this is brilliant"

Maybe that's what ADHD needs to be happy.

ASD likes stability, ADHD likes chaos.

The yin and yang of neurotransmitter tennis.

Yeh? Well I once saw a spider. A big one.

“Feeling” that “awareness” I liked it. I felt in control while everything around me was basically horrifying for about 3 hours.

Chance, it is a combination of biochemical (adrenaline and others, re: fight/flight response) and brain/mind function. It also has to do with your familiarity with the environment, i.e you know ever inch of the course.

I'd be willing to bet, if you think about it now, that during the drive your brain was giving you thoughts like "get a radio, get the suburban, turn on the water, open this gate, move that equipment, etc." Even while you were focused on driving with most of your conscious mind, your subconscious is doing it's thing. Our brains are so powerful, we are barely aware of all they do for us every day.

I've been in some shakey, chaotic situations, where there's been a little voice going "OMG, this is brilliant"

Maybe that's what ADHD needs to be happy.

ASD likes stability, ADHD likes chaos.

The yin and yang of neurotransmitter tennis.
The psychiatric nurse I saw said panic has two sides the excited side and the fearful side.
I understood what she meant because I would start to get shaky when I was excited i've never experienced excitement that isn't panicky

October 17, 1989.

Just after 5:00pm, as I exited the BART train at the station platform, about 50+ feet above the ground. Said good evening to my boss, stepped out of the car onto the platform and immediately knew there was something wrong.

300px-Pleasant_Hill_BART_Station.jpg

The steel awnings that cover both sides of the station tracks were literally twisting and groaning...with the ground shaking so hard everyone standing was getting knocked to the ground. About a second later I realized I was in a very bad earthquake (Loma Prieta) somewhere between 6.9 and 7.1 on the Richter Scale.

Being on a concrete platform well above the ground, for an instance I thought it was all going to collapse with me getting crushed in the debris.

A place mentally I've never really been before that. "Thou art mortal!"

But it never happened. After so many seconds the shaking and noise subsided, and the escalators were still working! Even stranger was how so many people remained composed and silently lined up to go down the escalator without incident. I walked back to my apartment at the time and things were kind of a mess. Turned on the radio as cable tv was out only to hear that the Bay Bridge had collapsed. I made the mistake of going out on the road to check on my mother. People were driving frantically. Very dangerous out there. But my Mom was fine...just a little shaken up like everyone else.

I've been in numerous earthquakes over many years, but never anything like this. And never in a situation where I thought for a brief moment that I might die. Gave me a very healthy respect for reinforced concrete structures!

As a little kid I also went through a typhoon on Guam...pretty scary too.

I never gave much thought to rattlesnakes either, until recently when I learned from television what the cost of multiple doses of anti-venom can be. Around $14,000. THAT I find to be very scary. :eek:

Last edited:
Here's my spider story:
One night in Indonesia, in Ambon I think, I was staying in a real but run down hotel. I had a room with a private bath. The bath was on the outside of the concrete building and had a large square opening for a window- no glass or screen covering it but I was on an upper floor so didn't think much about it.

In the middle of the night, I woke up having to pee. I stumbled into the bathroom turned on a very dim overhead light and sat down on the toilet half asleep. When I looked up at the wall opposite me, I blurrily saw a creature spread out on the wall and thought to myself "what's an octopus doing here?" That's how big it was. AND I had to PASS it on my way out of the bathroom. :eek::eek::eek:

I sat there trying to get up my courage to go back into the room and go back to bed. Finally I dashed by it, ran into the room and slammed the door. Only then did I realize that I'd have to go back into the bathroom come morning. I don't recall sleeping for the rest of the night.

Last edited:
October 17, 1989.

Just after 5:00pm, as I exited the BART train at the station platform, about 50+ feet above the ground. Said good evening to my boss, stepped out of the car onto the platform and immediately knew there was something wrong.

300px-Pleasant_Hill_BART_Station.jpg

The steel awnings that cover both sides of the station tracks were literally twisting and groaning...with the ground shaking so hard everyone standing was getting knocked to the ground. About a second later I realized I was in a very bad earthquake (Loma Prieta) somewhere between 6.9 and 7.1 on the Richter Scale.

Being on a concrete platform well above the ground, for an instance I thought it was all going to collapse with me getting crushed in the debris.

A place mentally I've never really been before that. "Thou art mortal!"

But it never happened. After so many seconds the shaking and noise subsided, and the escalators were still working! Even stranger was how so many people remained composed and silently lined up to go down the escalator without incident. I walked back to my apartment at the time and things were kind of a mess. Turned on the radio as cable tv was out only to hear that the Bay Bridge had collapsed. I made the mistake of going out on the road to check on my mother. People were driving frantically. Very dangerous out there. But my Mom was fine...just a little shaken up like everyone else.

I've been in numerous earthquakes over many years, but never anything like this. And never in a situation where I thought for a brief moment that I might die. Gave me a very healthy respect for reinforced concrete structures!

As a little kid I also went through a typhoon on Guam...pretty scary too.

I never gave much thought to rattlesnakes either, until recently when I learned from television what the cost of multiple doses of anti-venom can be. Around $14,000. THAT I find to be very scary. :eek:
I wish I found earthquakes easier to picture it must be anxiety I just seem to be losing the meaning of words.
all the media I've looked at and read over the years gone in a minute .

I wish I found earthquakes easier to picture

I wish I didn't. Consider yourself lucky. ;)

I've lived with them most of my adult life, but I have yet to say I've gotten used to them. Just another reason I chose to leave California. Though they do have them to a much less occasion in Nevada.

New Threads

Top Bottom