• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Library

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
I really love libraries as they are like one of the last bastions of learning in a world that seems to devalue education. After all, education and libraries are often two of the first things to get cut from budgets. The library is one of the last places that you can just be in without having to spend money or be forced to keep moving. The library is my sanity when I need a place to go to get out of my apartment.

The other day I was saddened to observe that there are fewer and fewer books on the shelves. I asked the reference librarian and she said it's due to the fact that much of the material is now in ebook format. I guess ebooks are cheaper but I still prefer reading from printed material. I used the card catalogue and I was dismayed to find all of the books that I want are not available in print form at my library and I don't have a tablet. So I took a drive to the local Barnes and Noble to get a Nook and part with 49.00 that I don't really have.

The library is my escape space where I can just linger and relax without the expectation of ponying up money. However, it's now starting to feel like every other place where I'm expected to just stop in for a short moment and move on. Gone are the comfortable chairs and reading lamps. It feels cold and austere now. Is this a microcosm of what we've become?

Even the magazine section is reduced to a selection of magazines not worth the paper that they're printed on. I used to spend hours reading Model Railroader and the HAM Radio Magazines. They are just gone. It's sad. I miss the libraries of yore.

I spent so much of my childhood in libraries :) I love being around books. Second hand book stores have always been a favourite - they have a particular smell about them you get in no other kind of environment.

I guess there's pros & cons to the march of technology in this arena. Being able to use search terms on the web or within an ebook is an invaluable time saver for me, and it does save me money. I've recently got back into reading graphic novels and it's both cheaper and takes up less space to download them onto a tablet. Can't beat the tactile sensation of a proper, paper publication though :)

I spent so much of my childhood in libraries :) I love being around books. Second hand book stores have always been a favourite - they have a particular smell about them you get in no other kind of environment.

I guess there's pros & cons to the march of technology in this arena. Being able to use search terms on the web or within an ebook is an invaluable time saver for me, and it does save me money. I've recently got back into reading graphic novels and it's both cheaper and takes up less space to download them onto a tablet. Can't beat the tactile sensation of a proper, paper publication though :)
Very true. I will get used to reading on a tablet and it will grow on me. For me it wasn't so much the tactile sensation of paper but reading in bed is so much easier when you can manipulate the book comfortably. It's hard to fold a tablet. I have to read myself to sleep.

I really love libraries as they are like one of the last bastions of learning in a world that seems to devalue education. After all, education and libraries are often two of the first things to get cut from budgets. The library is one of the last places that you can just be in without having to spend money or be forced to keep moving. The library is my sanity when I need a place to go to get out of my apartment.

The other day I was saddened to observe that there are fewer and fewer books on the shelves. I asked the reference librarian and she said it's due to the fact that much of the material is now in ebook format. I guess ebooks are cheaper but I still prefer reading from printed material. I used the card catalogue and I was dismayed to find all of the books that I want are not available in print form at my library and I don't have a tablet. So I took a drive to the local Barnes and Noble to get a Nook and part with 49.00 that I don't really have.

The library is my escape space where I can just linger and relax without the expectation of ponying up money. However, it's now starting to feel like every other place where I'm expected to just stop in for a short moment and move on. Gone are the comfortable chairs and reading lamps. It feels cold and austere now. Is this a microcosm of what we've become?

Even the magazine section is reduced to a selection of magazines not worth the paper that they're printed on. I used to spend hours reading Model Railroader and the HAM Radio Magazines. They are just gone. It's sad. I miss the libraries of yore.
Libraries are like an enchanting fantasy land combined with the ultimate free structured school. The main library here in Denver has a quote on the side (I forget who) "I imagine paradise to be a sort of library."

I have a Kindle, but still prefer books in physical format. I still buy books, but they are expensive and can cost a lot of money to ship, as opposed to digital format, which downloads immediately.

I like that the internet has opened up a whole new market, but still buy books from bookshops when I get the chance. I love browsing in bookshops.

Libraries were part of my passions as a kid; now it's bookstores.

I prefer ebooks because of ocular motor dysfunction. My ereader gave me back the ability to read for more than a few minutes at a time.

I do understand the yearning for books. Any book I own has to be pleasing to touch. If the paper isn't pleasing, the book does not get bought.

I'll never get used to reading things on a tablet.

Not that I dont use tablets... I have an iPad, and have had one since they first came out. But it's never used for book reading.

If I'm going to read a book, which I frequently do, I expect it to be an actual freaking book. It just bugs me otherwise.

And the less said about magazines, the better. Used to read magazines (mostly gaming stuff) all the time as a kid. Now though... bleh.

Libraries are pretty good. I used to use my local library a lot back in the day before I got the internet here at home.

I've been meaning to go to the library here quite a few times on my monthly outings but it's either rainy out and it's getting to be chilly out again :(

Last time I was in library when I was writing my history essay. I also like libraries:) Now I need to write dissertation, it is quite hard for me and deadline is near..I think I should get help from custom dissertation writing service. My friend adviced it yo me. How do you think it is good idea?

Libraries are like an enchanting fantasy land combined with the ultimate free structured school. The main library here in Denver has a quote on the side (I forget who) "I imagine paradise to be a sort of library."
if you want to read all of the poem the line is “I am imagine paradise to be a kind of library”Jorge Luis Borges.

I think real books are being purposely marked higher in price to force people to use the internet. Comic books that were around two dollars are all eight dollars at walmart. Books a million is no better on book prices. If you dont have forty dollars dont bother going. Amazon actually has books i can afford. Real books. For about five dollars on average with shipping and handling. Technology can march forward all it wants. Ill stick with books.

New Threads

Top Bottom