• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Football Thread

Assuming this is English football (soccer), I enjoy going to watch my local team (Southend UTD) play. My Dad tends to think I don't enjoy it because I don't shout and swear at the players like everyone else does. I have no interest in watching football on TV when I have no idea who any of the players are. I did enjoy watching my local team on TV when they somehow ended up playing against Manchester UTD (Southend is a small team with a reputation of being pathetic). Southend somehow won 1-0 making them the only team in the world to have a 100% positive record against Man U.

I do show an interest if I'm supporting a local team with players I've actually heard of.

Wow, I didn't know Southend ended Man U's run in one Cup match (I presume).

In the place I live, Man U was seen as a great club that could win virtually everything. But thanks for telling me your club's greatest glory :D

Btw, Newcastle United was seen as 'pathetic', but I shall never forget that for a few seasons, we are at the top of the league. Last season we were champions --- of the Championship. Now... I wondered why adidas dumped us and let puma sponsor us? Puzzling, we're returning to top flight in cool form I thought?

Southend was at the bottom of the league, two leagues below Man U. Thats what made it so impossible. They played at our ground and the commentator had to climb up a bloody 20 foot ladder to get to the box!

Well Southend is a miracle...

While I was thinking, Inter is also another miracle --- winning 5 consecutive league titles... With limited budgets.

And I am thinking it's a miracle Juventus can manage to bounce from second division to the first. :)

I'm a supporter of Team England, but they don't seem to be doing too well, this year. I'll still be standing behind them. I was pretty sure, that this year was going to be the year, for them to win the World Cup. We'll see what happens, in 2014.

It's a pity Newcastle lost on the weekend.:no: but Uefa champions league starts tomorrow;)

Let's revive this thread again!

Who likes Arsenal here? Superboyian? Lol

Any other soccer/football fans here?

I think the greatest show on football will be Newcastle United playing at Manchester City this week. It will be very exciting. It's like a miser team that plays for money playing the best team money could buy. Obviously we know who is fancied.

I think Man City will win, but I sincerely hope miracles happen. I am hoping that Newcastle wins Man City 7-0. :p

Soccer? No. American football? Yes.

High school and college American football are the only leagues that still have the passion and fire that the sport originally had. The NFL is beginning to go down a downward spiral of complaints like, "He hit me to hard!" and "That hit was unnecessarily rough!". It makes me sick. Yet, the NFL is still the only American football league that I actually follow. Probably because the Raiders are one of the few last teams that actually play with violent passion for the game. As their unnofficial motto says... They may not win the game. But they'll sure as hell win the fight ;)

Just Win Baby!

The Raiders drafted a 'lazy' QB from the state of Alabama, JaMarcus Russell, (who is nowhere near Bart Starr, the legendary Alabama and Packers QB) who preferred to work with charities and then eat like a mad dog. Raiders have lost their coach, John Gruden, one season before they last won the AFC (and that coach coached the rival Buccaneers, eventual winner of Super Bowl XXXVII, due to a dispute between the late owner and Gruden. And the Raiders are in the weakest division of AFC (and maybe the NFL), where teams in general find it hard to win against the other teams from other divisions.

But there are some things Raiders have that the other teams don't:

Their colors are black and silver. (Read my first post)
They have a rabid fan base with prominent passionate fans, such as Hunter S. Thompson (journalist of The Rum Diary fame) and Ice Cube.
They stopped Dolphins' home-game win streak at 31, in 1975.
They represent, and still represent two cities, Los Angeles and Oakland, California (to me, a San Francisco suburb)
They stopped circulating the embarassing 2, last worn by JaMarcus Russell
To me, Richard Seymour>Ndamukong Suh

Jarmarcus Russell-I knew nothing about him but thought his size would make him good. Then he crashed badly & later I think? there were stories about him taking drugs [cough syrup, codeine? + something else-soda?] he is supposedly making a comeback and might be signed to a team if he can pass muster.

The Raiders def have a cool uniform & great history. I heard Madden as a coach has the highest % of winning games? Are the Raiders your team? It's a bummer when a team isn't doing good for several years in a row or longer. I can remember when I was following one team [before I permanently switched to them] and they had several coaches [and bad seasons] that I disliked very much! Then the Sun arrived and so did Parcells. But lately I've heard bad things about Parcell being a very difficult coach [insulting players etc.]

Just Win Baby!

The Raiders drafted a 'lazy' QB from the state of Alabama, JaMarcus Russell, (who is nowhere near Bart Starr, the legendary Alabama and Packers QB) who preferred to work with charities and then eat like a mad dog. Raiders have lost their coach, John Gruden, one season before they last won the AFC (and that coach coached the rival Buccaneers, eventual winner of Super Bowl XXXVII, due to a dispute between the late owner and Gruden. And the Raiders are in the weakest division of AFC (and maybe the NFL), where teams in general find it hard to win against the other teams from other divisions.

But there are some things Raiders have that the other teams don't:

Their colors are black and silver. (Read my first post)
They have a rabid fan base with prominent passionate fans, such as Hunter S. Thompson (journalist of The Rum Diary fame) and Ice Cube.
They stopped Dolphins' home-game win streak at 31, in 1975.
They represent, and still represent two cities, Los Angeles and Oakland, California (to me, a San Francisco suburb)
They stopped circulating the embarassing 2, last worn by JaMarcus Russell
To me, Richard Seymour>Ndamukong Suh

Last edited:
Yes, the Raiders are definitely my favorite AFC team :). It is almost obligatory for me to support Lions as my NFC team, and to be honest, I just feel 'forced' to support the Lions like other Tigers fans do. But the Raiders rule.

So long as the Raiders are run in the same swagger like the old Madden-Al Davis era, and updates to new football trends and developments, Raiders will rise up and win again.

In the last few years I like to admire several teams besides mine. Either based on their uniform, players and or competitive games. This makes the season more fun for me if my team crashes. I also like certain players so I might dislike a team but l might be interested in a rookie and or star.

Raiders have a great tradition of smash mouth football. NFL Films did a great job showing Stabler & company leading the way. I rememeber the names WR Fred Biletnikoff, Shell, Upshaw, the two safties who were smacking down opposing wide receivers, the defensive line [Lyle Alzado? Ted Hendricks? + others I've forgotten.] I think there was a halfback from the 70s who went on to be one of the top NFL rushers.

Then there was the rivalry games between them and the Steelers. I can't remember if the Houston Oilers played against them in the same conference. I had to use google to remember some of this but I remember watching films of them. Great team and tradition. Do you have any favorite players? I remember QB Gannon playing, WR Tim Brown, Coach Gruden.

Detroit has been drafting some good players. Besides the DT they got 2 years ago, recently they drafted another great defensive player. Last I rememer they were also set on QB & HB.

My team was the Dallas Cowboys & before I switched to the NY Giants.

Yes, the Raiders are definitely my favorite AFC team :). It is almost obligatory for me to support Lions as my NFC team, and to be honest, I just feel 'forced' to support the Lions like other Tigers fans do. But the Raiders rule.

So long as the Raiders are run in the same swagger like the old Madden-Al Davis era, and updates to new football trends and developments, Raiders will rise up and win again.

Although I've never had any interest in football (or any other sport apart from tennis), I can understand some of the things that go with it like the feeling of belonging to a group and having a common cause to support. When I was growing up in the 1980s there were a lot of negative things about parts of it especially the hooliganism which for a long time influenced my opinion of it. But since then football and many of the things that go with it have improved greatly.

New Threads

Top Bottom