• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The eighties craze

Gotta love the 80's, all about excess and technological advancement.

I've always had a thing for 80's music, I love the cheesy synth.

So...you're talking about the nineties as if it were an entirely new culture when it's...1990?

Incidentally, Y2K did feel entirely different from 1999. When the year 2000 started it was like a whole new era.

Talking North America here, I can't speak for other countries... from what I recall, the "nineties" didn't quite start until mullets stopped being an acceptable hairstyle, neon started to fade out, hair metal stopped being pop music, supplanted by grunge in terms of what kind of guitar music was popular... Also, when the only rappers were MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice--it was still practically the eighties.

You get a few "cusp" years at the beginning of a decade. I remember my older brother (born in '68) saying the eighties didn't quite start until '81 or so, when disco finally really died.

There has been an interesting stretch where the decade two decades prior became an object of fascination, and I chalk that up to it being a nostalgia thing for the generation that has "grown up" and started having children of their own, and missing being in high school. So in the 70s, you have fifties nostalgia with American Graffiti and Happy Days and Grease; in the 80s you had sixties nostalgia with The Big Chill and The Wonder Years and Vietnam nostalgia like Tour of Duty and China Beach; in the 90s, the seventies came back with Dazed and Confused and That 70s Show and dudes growing sideburns again; and in the 2000s you had the rise of the "80s party". (I don't think there was a "forties nostalgia" period in the sixties; if there was, it has been forgotten.)

I see the occasional "Remember the 90s"-type post on Facebook nowadays. Grunge parties? Oversized t-shirts?

I'm looking forward to seeing what people will get nostalgic about for the 2000s. Dressing up like emos? Ugg boots, oversized sunglasses, yoga pants? Guys with their pants halfway down their butt?

There was I Love the New Millennium, which only lasted until mid-decade because the 2000s decade wasn't done yet. The show was never finished. They now have I Love the 2000s as a second attempt. The first show was too early. It being 2007 at the time, people weren't ready for a retrospective yet.

I never got to see the Figure it Out revival or My Family's Got Guts.

I've interpreted the Eighties Craze as people having fun mocking the eighties. Am I alone in this interpretation?

I've interpreted the Eighties Craze as people having fun mocking the eighties. Am I alone in this interpretation?

I find that to be a partial truth. Much of the 80s was great. In fact, pretty much everything but 20% interest rates and acid-wash jeans.

My oldest son was born in 1980. Before he was born I always worked, but I drank more than I should have. I was so worried about being a parent that I quit drinking and focused on being a family man. Now my kids have families of their own, but I never went back to my old ways. So the 80's were a new beginning for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom