• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

the dark side of the aspie Force

smith2267

For the past few years, my aspie obsession has been vampire wars on facebook.
Needless to say, I am persecuted, hated and outcast. they even sent me a hate letter on my birthday.

Can you imagine that?

Well anyway. I told them that we can do repetitive tasks for a long time without getting bored, and we hold grudges forever. Sounds like a terminator, no?

anyway...I haven't really crossed over to the dark side...I'd be thrilled if they just stopped persecuting me.

PS, if you don't get all these science fiction allusions, please say so.

I do not have a facebook account, I don't know what vampire wars are and I do not understand your post.

Your differences are YOURS. so long as you aren't seeking to hurt or insult others, all they are is differences. Some people fear differences & attack what they fear. Some people are terrified of cars. Should we ban them? Throw stones at them? Who thinks this way? YOU have a right to play whatever online game you enjoy. If some troll decides to call you names or insult you, it may have more to do with that person's individual issues (anger, intolerance, aggression, insecurity, plain old-fashioned idiocy...). Your guess is as good as mine. I see it this way: barring the presence of very compelling evidence, the person doing or saying the bad things is responsible for his behaviour (never the fact that the target is a __________<----Jew, Black, Aspie, Schizophrenic, fat person, Anorexic, left-handed, Amish...)

Who is "they"? Your Facebook friends or a bunch of random people online? Also, I'm not convinced that you being an aspie is the problem here. Did you provoke them first, or were you prosecuted for simply being yourself? Not to sound harsh but there's always two sides to the story.

Often there are 2 sides or even more to a story. I admire objectivity & the ability to examine any issue from a variety of perspectives. In a different thread, Smith2267 said that they sent him death wishes on Facebook on his birthday. Sounds like the problem is with the ones doing the trolling.

I agree with what you said in the shoutbox, soup. There is no dark side to aspieness. In general from what I see there is far more darkness in the NT world than in Aspania. We are all unique but aspies tend to be more truthful and more vulnerable than NTs. In itself this makes us less likely to be evil. From the little I gather about vampire wars it is a playacting game about vampires. Real vampires, if they existed, would be evil by definition. But a game is just a game and it looks like some trolls took it too far.

These online trolls can be vicious. Since they get to hide behind an Avatar, they give themselves free rein to say all kinds of cruel & crude things they'd never have the guts or be too embarrassed to say if they had to show their face & real name.

I am not understanding this whole darkside thing? I mean I get the thing about star wars and the darkside of the force but I don't see how that relates to the issue. People are not all one or the other they are good and they are bad. NT's and Aspies share this it is a human quality. We as humans are neither all good or all bad it is what you do in each situation that determines the outcome. There is darkness in many places as there are candles to light the dark. Why suffer in silence when all you need to do is light a small candle find that glimmer of hope or light in the darkness and hold onto that? Its hard yes but life is never easy. Its not always one side or the other that is right. I have had to learn this.

The only darkside to MY Aspergers is my compulsion to do non-stop research and writing on serial killers and my collecting of odd weapons.
Other than that I'm hunky dory and anyone who says otherwise can go find someone else to troll.

My dark side would have to be when most people try talking to me, I have absolutely no interest or care in the world about what they are talking about 90% of the time. I understand everyone wants to be heard by someone, but the rate at which some people switch topics, and the topics they bring up annoy and disinterest me in attempting to have any social interaction with them. So most of the time, I'm just not the guy to come talk to, and people take that as 'oh he thinks he is above everyone else', which is rubbish. People essentially cast me out because of it. I'm sorry what they are saying holds little to no importance to me, but It's just how I am. Why cause my body stress and pain to force myself to listen to people like this?

So far almost all the people I have trouble listening to are NT. I suppose it is because of the differences in how our brains are wired.

I thought facebook required you to use your real name.

No. That's true for Google+ though.

Anyhow, I was just asking my previous question to dig deeper into the matter. I wanna say that there's less of an issue with trolling on Facebook, but unfortunately there are people bold enough to speak their mind no matter what the consequences and no matter where you're at.

Another thing, death threats shouldn't be taken lightly and should be forwarded to the administrators, trolls or otherwise. Some people (or idiots, I suppose) have trouble with maturity these days it seems.

If we're talking about "the dark side" in terms of a more, commonly perceived, negative aspect... I don't want to put myself out there as some kind of "bad ass" but let's put it this way... it's a great deal of effort to actually show some compassion about people (or living beings) in general. I score, and have scored highly on sociopathic scales and I'm fine with that. I'm doing fine by limiting my social interaction and I enjoy living my life like this. Alongside that; there are hardly any commonly accepted things I care for. I like serial killers and that's probably the mildest of my interests (well, besides that I enjoy painting figures, making props, and doing arts in general)... but if it comes to interests, death and serial killers are the mildest of it all.

As a slight confession; I feel that sometimes it's best for me not to indulge on each and every thread going on, on this or any other forum, because I just know I'll going to smack people in the face verbally in an excessive manner... it wont be a suckerpunch but a wrecking ball. There's part of me I rather just keep to myself for most part. I'm quite sure that if I were to blatantly express ALL my thoughts and interests to a therapist, I'm sure I'd be put away for quite a while (or at least be subject to some serious therapy). I'm fully aware that I'm not normal in that sense. I just have, and as a kid had, a lot of privacy, so I could indulge on whatever obscure interest I had, alongside a few things that were more age appropriate like videogames, lego and whatever you have as a kid. But my weird interests never got away; I remember that as a kid, the thing I did draw most, were torture devices... I vividly remember that in first year of high school we had to design a chair... I ended up drawing up an electric chair of sorts. It freaked out the teacher apparently, but there was no cause for alarm. But that was already years later after taking an interest in such things.

In general I don't think that the interests in itself and as such the interest in such "dark" topics is aspergers, I think the way I experience and enjoy them might be. Imagine it like for instance the numbers breakdown on serial killers... victims, stabwounds, things like that... but alongside that I do spend a reasonable amount of time thinking about why I enjoy something. I can easily spend some time in dissecting why I rather have sex in this position instead of the other in terms of anatomy for example. I tend to create interesting factsheets or diagrams in my head to why I like thing X. That's also a reason why a lot of things I like, stick around for a while, even if I tend to change around the way I enjoy them. Enjoy a different aspect or just enhance them. For such a reason I can watch a movie numerous times and get something different from it each time.

I actually think, on an unrelated sidenote; this is the problem for me to learn new things in school. I'm being told how to view and enjoy them, not to enjoy them on my terms. They wont stick that way.

Well, I, for one, admire your frankness so feel free to send the wrecking ball my way if ever I say something worthy of demolition in your view. I can hack a verbal wrecking ball like a pro!

As for serial killers, I'm fascinated with them & have a somewhat cockamamie theory about them & their...practices. I don't think that an interest in them reveals anything akin to a 'dark side'. I think some people figure that if they don't think about, read about or pay attention to something frightening, it'll never happen to them or someone close to them. This type of thinking is a form of 'speak of the devil & he'll appear' superstition. For me, knowledge & information are forms of power.

I think every human being who is prepared to be honest must admit that they've had thoughts or ideas that would be considered alarming, very inappropriate & problematic at one point or another. It's what one does with such thoughts that determine any real outcomes. I choose not to 'feed' or dwell upon disturbing thoughts simply because I find it to be a counter-productive exercise in futility.

I do agree with what you say about serial killers though Soup. I don't really feel it's dark in the sense that I feel it like that... it's moreso the common belief I think. Similarly I've had my interest in death and suicide, when I wasn't depressed even. But I don't see it as dark, but people think it's wrong, weird and dark.

But like I said earlier; I do feed upon, what probably is seen as dark and/or taboo a lot. It's something I grew accustomed to and enjoy. It doesn't prohibit me from liking more "normal" things, but those rarely stick... to some people it might come across as being into weird things, just for it being weird, which I feel isn't true.

But yeah... the entire deal probably is more that most people think some stuff is dark, weird and extreme, rather than me actually caring how people perceive it.

As for the wrecking ball comment... I don't really know if it's called for here, heh. But I've made comments in the past where people (and again... backgrounds of those people might vary) just couldn't believe that people like me exist just because I had such a both outspoken, thought out as well as "extreme" view on things. Those are things I usually had going on through IM, not neccesarily forums... I'm fully aware that I might be the minority regarding views, and as such I don't want to come across as a troll who is picking a fight by interjecting with a disturbing argument, which might probably end up in a ban or some severe moderation. I really try to keep either neutral or just not chip in my 2 cents there... which I feel is a decent middle ground.

I don't care how disturbing an argument is so long as it is cogent & well framed. I can't stand the sort of idiot who argues & contradicts because he thinks it makes him sound smart BUT who really doesn't HAVE an argumentative leg to stand on.

New Threads

Top Bottom