• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Best Christmas ever Aspie style.

Wolfsage

In training to be Wolf King.
Yeah, I'm early. But, only because I want people to have time to think about their response. What would the best Christmas ever mean for each of us? As Aspies and people. Or in my case a wolf that speaks English and has Asperger's. :p

Honestly I just miss Christmas as it used to be for me. As a kid it was really something special.

These days it's just depressing. I dont handle that type of nostalgia very well.

As an adult, the experience of going to any family events is just... ugh. UGH. Why even bother? No, I dont want to sit there hearing dull people complain about politics or some nonsense like that. Not to mention plenty of other aspects... but that's a whole other depressing rant.

I dont bother with those events anymore. Mostly for me Christmas is doing 2 things: 1, driving around and looking at random light setups on various houses, and 2, repeatedly wandering through the Christmas isles of the various local Walmarts to look at stuff and then get depressed about related memories.

Cant do that this time though, bleh.

I need a time machine or something, let me just skip all that and go to January. That'd be the best "Christmas".

There, I'm done, it was awful, you're welcome.

Honestly I just miss Christmas as it used to be for me. As a kid it was really something special.

These days it's just depressing. I dont handle that type of nostalgia very well.

As an adult, the experience of going to any family events is just... ugh. UGH. Why even bother? No, I dont want to sit there hearing dull people complain about politics or some nonsense like that. Not to mention plenty of other aspects... but that's a whole other depressing rant.

I dont bother with those events anymore. Mostly for me Christmas is doing 2 things: 1, driving around and looking at random light setups on various houses, and 2, repeatedly wandering through the Christmas isles of the various local Walmarts to look at stuff and then get depressed about related memories.

Cant do that this time though, bleh.

I need a time machine or something, let me just skip all that and go to January. That'd be the best "Christmas".

There, I'm done, it was awful, you're welcome.

Doctor Who or classic time machine? I'm driving either way.:p

I'd like for my whole family to get together and have my sisters talking to each other again. It's been too long and it's taking its toll on my mum.

I'd like it to confine itself to one day, and stop after that. I don't mind if there's Xmas eve aswell I suppose. The lights and the tree I quite enjoy. And other people's lights.

I'd like to spend a quiet and simple Christmas in Mexico in a condo on the beach as we have done for many years. Snorkel along the reef or walk the beach in the morning, eat delicious food, make a little Christmas tree with driftwood, walk to the town plaza and people-watch, go to Mass at the pretty little Catholic church (although I'm not Catholic) because I like the candles, incense, hymns, ceremony and how everyone dresses up.

Instead, we're stuck at home in the US, obliged to erect the 16 foot fake tree, drag out 400 pounds of ornaments and decorations, buy, gift wrap and distribute tons of presents, cook the obligatory food, and be unhappy and stressed out most of the time.

Charliebrowntree.jpg
I need a time machine too.
I've always had a perfect Christmas for an Aspie until 8 years ago.
It was a special time of the year and I miss it terribly.

Decorating the house with lights, the tree, presents wrapped, cooking all day,
the food, and only me and my parents.
The driving through districts of houses to see the lights. Happy times.

Now I'm alone except for my house mate - The Grinch!
The only two things left for me at Christmas is I can still drive and see the lights,
and I have my own little tree that gives warmth to the area I sit it.

Oh, and I have one of those Charlie Brown trees too, in my other room.
It reminds me of what Christmas has become.
Still, I can put the blue blanket around the base as a reminder of one little tree that needs love.

We will being staying home as usual. This is the way it has been for 8 months and with the covid getting worse, we can't let up now. What we really miss is contact with family. Neither one of us has had a hug from a kid, grandkid or great grandkid for months. Family members stay away from us because we are in that group of people who are old and have other medical problems. Any exposure is bad exposure. As soon as this is all over, the family will probably get tired of us being around all of the time.

My most basic response is, "Don't even go there."

For me, Christmas took a terrible hit on Wednesday December 13, 1978 when my father passed away. And that Christmas essentially died for me when my mother passed away on Wednesday December 13, 2006. And no, the dates aren't a typo error.

So Christmas in both my heart and mind amounts to a period of terrible sadness even though I have spent the last eleven Christmases with my cousin. Something that may not even happen this year, much like Thanksgiving as well given current pandemic concerns for folks our age.

Whatever "best Christmas" I had, was well into my past and will never be part of my future.

I'd like to be in heaven ,I'm just in incurable pain not cancer but I'm tired and it would be good to not have to do!!!!!!!!!!!anymore I won't commit suicide ,but it would be good to rest :)

For me, Christmas took a terrible hit on Wednesday December 13, 1978 when my father passed away. And that Christmas essentially died for me when my mother passed away on Wednesday December 13, 2006. And no, the dates aren't a typo error.

So Christmas in both my heart and mind amounts to a period of terrible sadness even though I have spent the last eleven Christmases with my cousin. Something that may not even happen this year, much like Thanksgiving as well given current pandemic concerns for folks our age.

Whatever "best Christmas" I had, was well into my past and will never be part of my future.

Not many years back. I got very sick not long before Christmas. It lasted a month and damaged my mind severely. Nearly destroying my sanity. Even when I got over it. I had to seek counseling six months later. I still carry scars in my mind from it even now. I was so sick. Scared to fall asleep due to nightmares. And voices whispering horrible things. Both awake and asleep. I was weak and very depressed. But, I was blessed as well. Christmas was close. The TV was full of commercials, TV shows, and movie about it. All tales of hope Hope and love. It gave me strength. Enough that I was able to keep my head above the water. Until the illness left me. Had it been any other time I would likely have succumb to it. I'm still here. A few years later battered but, alive. Happy. Not just at having survived my illness. But, seeing the best side of humanity. I give God the credit for both. Christmas is what we make of it. I see it as a beautiful example of what mankind might be in a future time. Prompted by a cherished gift from God born on that blessed day many years ago. Or at least that's what I believe.

I no longer celebrate holidays. After Mom died, on the date I write this, back in 2011, I no longer have a reason, since my brothers and their wives (those that are married) told each other what they can do with themselves, and I was told I was persona non grata with their households for 1) being on the spectrum (even though my youngest brother and his wife have a son and a daughter that are on the spectrum and are low functioning. They’re also antivaxxers. They subject their kids, as far as I know, to ABA, as well as chelation. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are also trying the latest “miracle cures” to make those kids neurotypical.)

It also didn’t help that they accused me of “killing Mom,” by the reactions I was having to the psych medications I was taking. Mom actually “bled out” from a peptic ulcer. I got her to the nearest emergency room, which stopped the bleeding, but the next 6 months, before she died, she spent in ICU, a specialty care hospital, and finally, admitted to one of the worst run and managed nursing homes in the area. I further got ostracized for applying, and eventually receiving SSDI, due to mental and developmental defects. I’m not even going to repeat the language hurled against me. My brothers, like my parents and grandparents were of the same mind as Louis B. Mayer: “Anyone who sees a psychiatrist ought to have their head examined.”

Any wonder from mid-July through the end of the year I go into a severe depression?

New Threads

Top Bottom