• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic The Aspie NT conflict? NTs may not be the culprit

Epicurean Pariah, I agree with what you say about learning through debate.
I enjoy being one of few NTs on a forum for autistics. It's healthy for me to learn about different thought processes and communication differences.

Wireless, you are very welcome here. I embrace your frank and open mindedness. I hope you advocate for us, especially our down in spirit. To elevate others has always been my goal.

I think that's a thread that could stand on itself. Pat Kinsella's position is actually defensible, when you look at economic behavior. The emotional brain is a lot older than the cortical shell, where the magic happens :smilingimp:

Aspergirl4hire, a joy to have you here. I have another bit that I recently added to the old thread started by Harrison about the Neanderthal and AS.
It had to do with the fact that the Nthal genome has been decoded and the markers for most mental disorders are not found in the Nthal. The markers for the mental disorders are found in the earliest humans, so our early human benefit of increased brain capacity are also a double edged sword, and our modern human bane.

There is no "Us vs. Them." NTs are people. We are people. We are all in this together. :)

There is never a good reason to hate anyone. :herb:
Sums up my position on this matter. Misunderstandings and conflicts occur across all sorts of social, political, and religious boundaries. What really bothers me, and I can't help but get my feathers ruffled whenever I see it here, is when Aspies do to NTs the exact thing many NTs do to those on the spectrum - make broad generalizations, and assume that everyone on the spectrum (or anyone not on the spectrum) all think and feel and act the same way. They don't. I understand that everybody has their own experiences that color their opinions, and I don't blame them for that, but I repeat, this is not a problem exclusive to Aspie/NT relations.

Agreeing with what you said, Evolution isn't about "better" or "worse" it's just about "producing more offspring". That's all it is. Aspies probably produce less offspring than NTs, as we tend to be less successful in regards to romantic relationships. (Although some Aspies do end up in happy relationships/marriages. But as a group, we're not that great at it).
To repeat, evolution doesn't mean something is better than what came before. It only means that thing had more offspring, and the offspring likewise had more offspring.

Indeed, it's worth pointing out that evolution includes genetic drift and other processes that alter the prevalence of genes in ways you might not expect from natural selection alone.

All measurements of all people with ASD show the opposite. Lower lifespan, greater unemployment, lesser partnering, fewer children, more institutionalizing, etc, etc.

Some of those effects can be produced socially. For example, in a lot of areas you can get twenty years' difference of life expectancy in terms of zip code. Genes may play some role, but it's not going to be that dramatic, and you still need to explain why such a significant cluster of humanity has the same genes. Seeking medical care is a social situation and can be very intimidating for us, and because of our odd presentation sometimes when we list symptoms of a physical illness they are dismissed as symptoms of mental illness.

Sums up my position on this matter. Misunderstandings and conflicts occur across all sorts of social, political, and religious boundaries. What really bothers me, and I can't help but get my feathers ruffled whenever I see it here, is when Aspies do to NTs the exact thing many NTs do to those on the spectrum - make broad generalizations, and assume that everyone on the spectrum (or anyone not on the spectrum) all think and feel and act the same way. They don't. I understand that everybody has their own experiences that color their opinions, and I don't blame them for that, but I repeat, this is not a problem exclusive to Aspie/NT relations.

wyverary, I agree with you,but.
Very few Aspers relegate the NT to subservient positions. We, generally do not shun, ostracize or unemploy those that are not in our group or do not support the "fad de jour."
you know that the AS in general and Aspers specifically are cast to the wolves.
As a Wolf, I choose to embrace and encourage the castaways. Nothing more, all of my rants are just reality testing. Since I crawled out if the grave of 35 years of being called..... Wildly eccentric, I found that this forum has given me voice. My appreciation for the AC forum is unbounded. Thanks for your input.

wyverary, I agree with you,but.
Very few Aspers relegate the NT to subservient positions. We, generally do not shun, ostracize or unemploy those that are not in our group or do not support the "fad de jour."
you know that the AS in general and Aspers specifically are cast to the wolves.
As a Wolf, I choose to embrace and encourage the castaways. Nothing more, all of my rants are just reality testing. Since I crawled out if the grave of 35 years of being called..... Wildly eccentric, I found that this forum has given me voice. My appreciation for the AC forum is unbounded. Thanks for your input.

I hope this isn't inappropriate, but I am always interested when I hear someone else describe themselves as a wolf. They are my favorite animals.

Ha. Well, you kill a herd of sheep you lose the opportunity to understand them :p

SoL,
I don't understand me yet, I will to try to understand what is pertinent and relevant to me.
Why would I kill a flock of sheep, I can only eat one lamb at a time and nature and wolves are not cruel, simply natural and worry the sick and weak to improve the flock in general. It is like reality, not pretty.
To rephrase: the herd is very welcome to engage in aeronautical slippery friction in the general direction of Earth's lunar sphere. I have as little use for lamb chops as they have for me. Put me in a tin can and I am still free and creative. The herd must comply or be ostracized. You do know that. Don't panic. Them times, they be a changin.
Wikipedia is just the leading edge of the change of the old ways of the past to the prospect of our intellectual future.

Last edited:
SoL,
I don't understand me yet, I will to try to understand what is pertinent and relevant to me.
Why would I kill a flock of sheep, I can only eat one lamb at a time and nature and wolves are not cruel, simply natural and worry the sick and weak to improve the flock in general. It is like reality, not pretty.
To rephrase: the herd is very welcome to engage in aeronautical slippery friction in the general direction of Earth's lunar sphere. I have as little use for lamb chops as they have for me. Put me in a tin can and I am still free and creative. The herd must comply or be ostracized. You do know that. Don't panic. Them times, they be a changin.
Wikipedia is just the leading edge of the change of the old ways of the past to the prospect of our intellectual future.

... I can also snarl, growl and bite and worse. All in Asper order of hurt, wound, maim and worse.
I am a stampeder of sheep and proud of it. I seek more of my kind.
Die Gedanken Sind Frei!

Ha, color me confused. :p
[usual order of things- eta: no one said anything about panic]

Oh and ETA again [tired and hitting reply too early]:
One of my favorite statuses:
"Are you a wolf or a sheep? The price of being a sheep is boredom. The price of being a wolf is loneliness. Choose one or the other with great care."

Oh and ETA again [tired and hitting reply too early]:
One of my favorite statuses:
"Are you a wolf or a sheep? The price of being a sheep is boredom. The price of being a wolf is loneliness. Choose one or the other with great care."
Although actual real life wolves have more complex relationships and interactions than do real life sheep.

Pardon my literalness.

Still an interesting quote.

Ha, color me confused. :p
[usual order of things- eta: no one said anything about panic]
SoL / I like puzzles, mysteries and thinking. I like the feeling when the mind purrs.
Sometimes I have a point and write to provoke an emotional response. Sometimes I plant clues to flash parts of my personality or perhaps soul.
Make your own judgements, but that is difficult in this virtual community. All context is lost over time unless one backtracks threads and posts, until consistent traits of personality develop in our mind.
Your image of me is in all probability as accurate as my avatar of me, and that is a very good thing.
Really, I am an old fool. I am that who has no constellation, to answer a question of yours.

Perhaps it is wise to hold a bit of mystery about one's self. A wolf is a loner yet he has his pack. He is cunning, patient, observant and does not howl without reason. Yes I think a wolf is a fine creature to be and, I would rather be the wolf than the sheep.

Just remember , it is a foolish wolf that causes himself to be reject by his pack. Even the wolf knows there is a time and place to be the alpha and, a time and place to submit to the pack.

And yes they are amazing animals that can teach us something if we observe and are willing to see what they have to teach us, as the three I live with have shown me over the years. Whether on two or four legs, I'm certain I can learn something from any wolf.

New Threads

Top Bottom