• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thanksgiving Conversation

Sometimes dealing with my cousin for hours can be awkward. We don't always have a lot to say to each other. She's become considerably more distant since I confided to her that I thought I was on the spectrum.

But it's really nothing compared to the fear of eating something that causes me to have acid reflux and ruin a perfectly good and expensive dinner. :eek:

I get worried because I may be meeting cousins for the first time since I was a little child, and I am not sure how we'll get along.o_O

Sometimes dealing with my cousin for hours can be awkward. We don't always have a lot to say to each other. She's become considerably more distant since I confided to her that I thought I was on the spectrum.

But it's really nothing compared to the fear of eating something that causes me to have acid reflux and ruin a perfectly good and expensive dinner. :eek:

Omeprazole. Works good for me.

Omeprazole. Works good for me.

Tried it a long time ago. Didn't help. But being on a Nexium OTC regimen seems to help. But it doesn't last the full four month duration before I'm supposed to use it again. Seems to drop off around a little more than three months.

I take Omeprazole daily, because of acid reflux and a hiatal hernia. Another thing to try that is very soothing, is Sonne's Bentonite clay solution. It helps sooth the gastrointestinal track, but can also be used for food poisoning. What it does is harmlessly absorb anything causing digestive upset and allow it to pass from the system. It can be found in health food stores and is formulated in a liquid suspension that is easy to take.

I'm a little worried for Thanksgiving. It used to be a happy time for my family. But then my grandpa died and that took most of the joy out of it. Also, some of my cousins can never stay for long because they have sports to play. Lastly, thanksgiving lately has most of us just sitting playing video games or talking about shopping. I wish we could have the old family togetherness feeling back.:(

I hope your acid reflux improves Judge.

Thanks. :) Well, I just finished the last of 14 daily doses of Nexium. Works pretty well within reason for the next three months or so. But I still have to watch what I eat. Which includes forgetting a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings...:oops:

With you on the acid reflex Judge, usually drink mint tea to calm my stomach. Seems to help as I don't know each time which foods will cause this to happen. Acidic foods like oranges and apples or cheese and most dairy don't agree with me, although I still eat them. Teas made from the mullein plant (roman soldiers used to use the leaves inside their sandals when they marched long distances) and marshmallow root. Have to be careful with any food, as under certain circumstances the indigestion and reflux cause problems with just about anything.

With you on the acid reflex Judge, usually drink mint tea to calm my stomach. Seems to help as I don't know each time which foods will cause this to happen. Acidic foods like oranges and apples or cheese and most dairy don't agree with me, although I still eat them. Teas made from the mullein plant (roman soldiers used to use the leaves inside their sandals when they marched long distances) and marshmallow root. Have to be careful with any food, as under certain circumstances the indigestion and reflux cause problems with just about anything.

My biggest advance against my own reflux has been in getting my dehydration in check. Not always easy...

But even then it won't offset what foods I can no longer eat. I just have to live with it.

Well, I chickened out. My aunt informed me that the whole shebang had been moved to the home of an in-law of hers, which would include two of my cousins, their children, plus a whole slew of people I don't know AT ALL. Plus the unknown and unfamiliar foods, sensory issues, possibilities for sensory overload.:eek:..So I chickened out. I felt badly, because my aunt was really disappointed but I have to look out for myself. So now I am feeling guilty and bad about letting her down...Oh well...:pensive:

Well, I got an email notification of a reply to this topic but when I came here to respond, it isn't showing. Why is that?

New Threads

Top Bottom