• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Telling Employers?

Robby

Ok I've asked this question before, but I have an offer for a call center job. I'll be starting there ina couple weeks unless I find something different. One of my strengths is listening and empathizing with people. However one of my major weaknesses is auditory processing. I have big problems with that. I tend to need things written down or someone to speak slowly and clearly for me to remember and retain information. This worries me a bit about the call center job. So, should I tell the people there, about my disability, so they can accomodate me? They're required to do so, correct? If I have things written down, or if people speak more slowly, I am fine. But just constantly having things blared in my ears, it just goes in one ear and out the other. Also, if I decide to not go to the call center job but try a staffing agency, should I tell them up front of my strengths and weaknesses, and my disability? And how I have major problems with auditory processing, but I have major strengths in other areas?

Tough question.

Here's a link to an article that was published last May.
Employers Are Seeking Out Autistic Workers
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/11/employers-are-seeking-out-autistic-workers.html

I guess it all depends upon you ... your situation ... the job you're applying for and its responsibilities ... and your comfort level with the person you're interviewing with ...

I personally think that this information could be shared at a later date AFTER you got the job and ONLY if you really need to.

I am currently studying autism disclosure in the workplace. I am collecting data until the end of November if anyone would like to help. I can't directly talk about my results yet, but this is my take on your situation:

An employer is only required to accommodate you if you give evidence of an autism diagnosis to your boss or to HR. Meaning you give it to them in writing with a doctor's signature or a copy of a medical report with the diagnosis on it.

When you're listening to people, I would write down key words and then repeat back to them what you think they are calling about before you attempt to resolve their problem.

I would try it out for a couple of weeks and see what you will need before you ask to change anything.

I would not do the call center. Try to find something else. That is a high auditory job. I wouldn't state your disability until it becomes a problem in the workplace meaning, if you accommodations, then I would tell them. But don't explain in an interview about it. Make sure you have the job, have tried it, then ask for accommodations.

Yea my inclination is to avoid call center because unless I have things written down or in front of me, I totally forget within seconds. I'd like to find some kind of a desk job but that may not be possible. Going to talk to my case worker next week. She hasn't done **** to help me so far, maybe this time will be different. *sigh*

I hope it is different. I think you could use the help with job ideas. Try to find a job that works more with your strengths and not weaknesses. I have been told to avoid call centers for many reasons. Hope you find something else soon. Good luck.

I didn't get the call center job they called and said I was on a do not hire list so they wouldn't let me start. SO whatever I probably would have hated it any way. I'm going to meet with my useless case worker next week and if she doesn't help me, I'm going to try a staffing agency again. I guess I'm pretty much hopeless, I am an autistic, shy man in reasonable shape and also a gay man in a very very anti gay society so I guess a lot of people just will not hire me because of that and its wrong.

I didn't get the call center job they called and said I was on a do not hire list so they wouldn't let me start. SO whatever I probably would have hated it any way. I'm going to meet with my useless case worker next week and if she doesn't help me, I'm going to try a staffing agency again. I guess I'm pretty much hopeless, I am an autistic, shy man in reasonable shape and also a gay man in a very very anti gay society so I guess a lot of people just will not hire me because of that and its wrong.

Why are you on a do not hire list? Did they tell you? I mean, maybe not a job you wanted, but that still sucks.

How did it go with the staffing agency? Can you target a place to work with a lot of female workers? Many women prefer being around gay men as friends and colleagues because there's no drama or competition.

Did you go thru a personality test? I do know folks on the spectrum haves issues passing that test and that lands them on the "do not hire" list. Its what trips me up on many job applications. Mikie

I had to tell my employer.I'd been fighting with my doctor to get a referral for an official diagnosis of AS as I knew for years that something about me was different.
I've worked for my company for 16 years but I was put under a new manager a couple of years ago who totally changed my working conditions and responsibilities and was severely trying to push me out the door via bullying and generally bitchy tactics.
The anxiety levels and depression went through the roof and was almost suicidal. I made my manager aware of my problems with anxiety but I think she saw this as a way to get rid of me by keeping the pressure up until I finally received an official diagnosis and made her aware.
She backed off straight away and HR stepped in as well to see how they could accommodate me and make me feel less anxious.

It was the worst 18 months of my life but at least I got diagnosed at last.

I had to tell my employer.I'd been fighting with my doctor to get a referral for an official diagnosis of AS as I knew for years that something about me was different.
I've worked for my company for 16 years but I was put under a new manager a couple of years ago who totally changed my working conditions and responsibilities and was severely trying to push me out the door via bullying and generally bitchy tactics.
The anxiety levels and depression went through the roof and was almost suicidal. I made my manager aware of my problems with anxiety but I think she saw this as a way to get rid of me by keeping the pressure up until I finally received an official diagnosis and made her aware.
She backed off straight away and HR stepped in as well to see how they could accommodate me and make me feel less anxious.

It was the worst 18 months of my life but at least I got diagnosed at last.

I wish I could get into that manager's head and see what was going through her mind, from the bullying and pushing you stage all the way through when she found out you were on the spectrum and suddenly backed off. Did she realize she was about to get into trouble or did she have a moment of horror where she saw what she had been doing?

Many good responses here. I'm also curious about how you got on the list and how far that spans. I do agree that doing that job would have been bad for you if that is how you operate. I have auditory comprehension problems as well so I'm cautious about what jobs I take.

I have some serious advice here but it is long. I will try not to waste your time but you must read with an open mind and know that this is professional advice meant only to help. It applies to everyone really but if you want some specifics, they're in there for you. Hear me out please.

I will say that outside of knowing how you got in the "do not hire" list, I would be very hesitant to attribute difficulties to your sexual preference. If you don't mind me giving you a bit of friendly advice on that, since you brought it up: If you are worried about discrimination due to your sexual preference, then don't make it public knowledge. Having lived in an anti-gay community myself for so long, I can say that many homosexuals (sad to say) really are just asking for it because they make it so well known. Take my advice: What you do in private should remain private. Who you have sex with and why is no one's business and if you make it their business, you can't get mad if they don't hire you for it. It's like I always tell people around me: If you don't want people to judge you, then don't put all your beliefs on your bumper for everyone to read. You can quote me on that one. I don't know how you act or anything but if you believe someone judges you for something you are supposed to be doing in private then for some reason you are making a private trait public and that is where that problem comes from. Discrimination usually starts when you tell someone something that's none of their business (with exceptions of course). I will use that as well for my next point...

You know your limitations and it is good that you are aware of them and accept them. I agree that you should only tell people who need to know. But for that job particularly you need to consider this: If you can't swim without a life jacket, don't expect to be hired as a life guard. Another one you can quote me on. In that analogy, you can't blame anyone (not even yourself) for you not being hired. And if you immediately turn to using a prejudice card, that will cause you even more strife wether you are right or wrong. It's okay that you didn't get that job my friend. There will be more. I can even give you an idea of a good place to look if you are interested. But I just want you to know that how you react to rejection comes from a deeper part of your personality and trust me, interviewers are usually the types who can spot those problems in the interview. I used to be a interview trainer when I taught college; I had the knack for spotting underlying personality traits by using specific questions. If you want to know more on that, message me.

As far as the initial question goes, "do I tell them up front?" I have had a lot of experience with this over the 11 years I've been in the work force and I have a little I can give you to keep in mind, if you feel like listening.

1.) Need to know basis. The more of your private business you make public, the more you welcome prejudice. Tell your secrets and you roll the dice, basically.

2.) Use your best judgment on the "need" and ask a friend for help. When I say "need to know" you should understand when a manager actually does need to know or not. Just because you have limits doesn't mean it will be a problem for a specific job. That particular job... yeah, that would have been a 'need to know' but unfortunately it is also a legitimate reason for them to not hire you and you can't be upset and start making prejudice accusations because they didn't hire you for a job you were not fit for. Now, if you were doing a job that was more of a desk job and you had small problems here and there, just handle it until it becomes a problem. Then you tell someone.

3.) Don't lead with your disabilities. I can't stress this enough. When you interview, you are a salesman selling your time for their money. If you start off a sales pitch with all the things your product can't do, your customer will already have a reason not to buy before you give them the reason to buy. I always try to interview so that I make them want me bad before throwing in my disability.

4.) Choose your job wisely. Like I said in point 2, don't expect to be hired for a job you aren't going to be good at. I know how rough it can be but poorly suited jobs should be last on your list.

5.) We are promised two things: death and taxes. Following point 4, understand that no one owes you anything, they don't owe me anything, no one has to give anyone anything. I hate to sound bleak but hear me out, it goes deeper than it sounds. Once you understand this concept, truly, you will then be better at point 3! You need to learn that no one has to give you any job, you need to sell yourself better. And as stated in my analogy and point 4, you can't expect to be hired for a job that you aren't suited for.

6.) Be a worker, not a poster. It doesn't matter if you are gay, autistic, religious, political, furry or whatever... 99% of entry level positions do not want a poster child in their team representing their company. I understand the whole "be yourself" mantras but as it seems in your OP, that isn't working out for you so listen to someone who does this professionally. Leave yourself at home; leave your problems at home, your opinions, your sexuality, your religion, everything that is not needed to do the job well. They don't want someone who has a strong enough style that it may offend people, whatever that style may be. You become the worker they need and nothing more. These are entry level jobs, not dates or conventions; you aren't looking for a place to share your interests or personality with, you are looking for money.

7.) Understand your position in the interviews. Something that I have to tell everyone I teach about job interviews is that the interview goes both ways. They are finding things out about you (probably more than you realize) so you need to be doing the same thing. If you find out they don't like homosexuals, then don't tell them you are a homosexual. If you find out they are a liar, don't work for them because it will cause problems like you wouldn't believe. I could write a book on interview and managerial analysis so I'll spare you more examples. If you aren't good at this, practice. Getting a good job is hard and there are no handicaps for us regardless of what you think is "legally required."

8.) Written tests are the only time God wouldn't blame you for lying. I don't know if anyone told you this so I will make the point. If you take a personality test or morality test or anything like that, for the love of god choose the answer that they want to hear, not what you think or believe. We as aspies can rationalize things all day but you'd be surprised at the sneaky hidden meanings behind those tests that even we wouldn't have figured on our own. The first time you take them, do it online and with someone more knowledgeable sitting with you to play Devil's advocate. These questionnaires are a web of lies designed to find loopholes in your morality and character. I didn't say they were bad, but they are not what they appear to be. I have studied some on how they work and how companies really use them. We aspies are at an extreme disadvantage.

9.) Just because it's legal doesn't mean it'll happen. I understand that companies have to help with disabilities but there are a lot more details that don't come across on the passing info. You see, even if someone discriminated against you for your autism, there are no discrimination police and if there were, you would need proof. You also need to brush up on federal, state, county and city law because each level has it's own ability to supersede the others. For instance, the federal law may say that you have to be considered for a job and be accommodated but the state may say that you can be fired without reason, giving bosses the legal ability to terminate any candidate without serving discrimination up on a convenient silver platter for you to use against them. Also, this means that there are laws that allow small and large companies to get around what you may think is your "right." For instance, I used to work at UPS and my driver used to pick on me and cause me grief. At one point he caused me to be injured and I had to go to the doctor. Instead of getting worker's comp, they gave all these legal technicalities about going through the wrong channels for procedure of seeing a doctor and thus making my diagnosis unrecognizable for workers comp. If I wanted compensation I needed to go through more paperwork but before I could do that, they simply fired me saying I wasn't able to do my job anymore. So you see, legal obligation is not your weapon, it's theirs. You probably aren't a lawyer, but most people who have businesses have lawyers on call who host meetings for the staff. And what are you going to do about it, really? You can't hire a lawyer to sue over an unprovable accusation and even if they did, the company has better lawyers than what you can afford. After all, you are unemployed and they are a profitable business. You have to know your place in that legal battle.

10.) Use size to your advantage. If you are having a hard time with entry level positions then shoot for a smaller business. Point 9 is long, I know, but that's because it deals with legalities. In contrast you will find that "mom & pop" shops find such nonsense too complicated and they play by ear. If you are nice and friendly and can help them with anything they need, you can get a job with no fuss. But lead with your autism or sexual life and you won't get hired anywhere.

11.) Never use a card. Much like point 6, this deals more with the rejection side. Wether you are turned down, fired or something happens at the job on any given day, if you use the "I'm gay" or "I'm autistic" or "I'm of blank race" card, you lose. Simple as that, you just lost the altercation and offered yourself up for being fired. Forget about what you think is right or wrong because you can't force your beliefs on them any more than they can on you (as well as it should be for a free country). Simply put: It's not your company. The second you instigate a segregation, you will segregate yourself away from the people who signs your paycheck. Doesn't even matter if your boss is gay too. Professionally, they should be more obligated to keeping things running smoothly and as soon as someone starts throwing accusations around, that employee separates themselves and stands out like a sore thumb. Understand that playing a "card" of any kind is very much an accusation and wether you are right or wrong, I urge you to be very cautious and very withdrawn about doing so. Even if you think no one will hear/read it.

12.) Don't post online. This also can't be stressed enough. If a stranger like me can read it, they can read it. Don't forget that there are plenty of hours in the day and many people who can be called between the first time you give them your information to the time you get your paycheck. Your OP (original post) wasn't bad, it is very warranted and I personally have no problem with it but it goes back to my bumper sticker analogy and takes a dark spin. Even though you may be asking for reasonable advice on a site like this, or any other, someone may find it and use it against you without you knowing. This is most important with your facebook and any other profile you have. I can't be certain but I have had threats from some of my more mouthy bosses that suggest that your information can be gotten easily with the right knowhow and the information you put on your job application. Remember, job applications ask you for everything, even your social security number. You better make sure your nose is clean.

I know it's a lot. I'm sorry. But this is a very complex situation and I'll bet SocOfAutism may agree that these things aren't so simple. Please know that none of this is meant to be mean or accusing or personal. However, you ask a good and reasonable question and I answer to the best of my ability. I do hope it is informative and helps. Again, I may have an idea for a good job if you want to hear it. Let me know if you have any questions about what I said and I wish you the best of luck! Keep your spirits up!

I wish I could get into that manager's head and see what was going through her mind, from the bullying and pushing you stage all the way through when she found out you were on the spectrum and suddenly backed off. Did she realize she was about to get into trouble or did she have a moment of horror where she saw what she had been doing?

I think she only backed off because she is very career driven and realised that there would be implications to her career path and reputation if she continued the harassment after I'd disclosed my diagnosis to her and HR. It had nothing to do with any sudden feelings of regret or concern for me.

HR sort of scratched their head as they didn't really know what they could do to support me so they sent me to an occupational therapist to see if I was able to work. When I got to see him, he thought it was crazy and confirmed I was fine to continue working and that the company should let me work from home when I have anxious days and look to get some CBT to help with it.

I just didn't fit into the the little clique in my department so suffered pure hell and I mean hell as a consequence. It completely destroyed any confidence I had but I somehow battled through.

Last edited:
I think she only backed off because she is very career driven and realised that there would be implications to her career path and reputation if she continued the harassment after I'd disclosed my diagnosis to her and HR. It had nothing to do with any sudden feelings of regret or concern for me.

HR sort of scratched their head as they didn't really know what they could do to support me so they sent me to an occupational therapist to see if I was able to work. When I got to see him, he thought it was crazy and confirmed I was fine to continue working and that the company should let me work from home when I have anxious days and look to get some CBT to help with it.

I just didn't fit into the the little clique in my department so suffered pure hell and I mean hell as a consequence. It completely destroyed any confidence I had but I somehow battled through.

Letting you work from home sometimes sounds like it would help. But I understand what you're saying.

Once I worked at a place and my boss' boss sexually harrassed me in front of two other women. He looked at my shirt and said, "I'd grab, but you'd slap, right?" Then he got on the elevator like nothing happened. I couldn't believe he said it. I think he was a jock type of person and had a momentary lapse. Like, he didn't realize what he'd said. But I HAD to report it. I had people working for me, and it was my responsibility to do the right thing, especially when there were witnesses.

I reported it to HR and said what I just said here, that I didn't think he meant it, but I had to report it because it wasn't okay to say and it was my responsibility, yada yada. The two women were asked if it happened and I assume they backed me up and also said he didn't seem to mean anything by it, yada, yada.

They did the same things "for" (I would say "to") me that they did to you, Rhymer. I felt like it was me that was in trouble. Soon they "remedied" the "communication problem" by making him my direct boss. He never let me forget embarrassing him. He was unfailingly polite to me, gave me appropriate bonuses, etc, but it was clear that I would never get anything passed there that I really wanted. I wasn't included in any real decision making, and I felt like he wasn't fair to my employees because of me. Leaving that place was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

He's no longer at that company, but I'm still glad I'm not there. They let him act like that and protected him afterward. They acted like it was my fault for calling him out for being a d***. No, you don't treat people like that.

New Threads

Top Bottom