• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teen blind after solely eating Pringles, Ham, Fries, Sausages, Bread

You are blessed in the UK if you’re local authority decide that you will be given a certain drugs if you have cancer ,same goes for other medicines for other conditions.
The NHS wasted millions and then blamed the patients who came for help,They prescribed paracetamol and expect people to pay over 8 pounds when you could get it for a pound at the most, also forgot to tell people that they made sure they paid the least for drugs possible if you saw how much the drugs actually cost you’ll be disgusted how much they were charged per prescription all the drugs were very expensive but that doesn’t make it right .

Teen went blind after eating only Pringles, fries, ham and sausage: case study

Transcript:

"A teenager in the United Kingdom described as a “fussy eater” lost his vision due to a strict diet of Pringles, French fries, white bread, processed ham and sausage.

A case study published Monday in Annals of Internal Medicine, shows the boy suffered from nutritional optic neuropathy, a dysfunction of the optic nerve cause by a diet low in nutrients required for nerve fibres in the eye to function. The condition can lead to permanent vision loss if left untreated.

Researchers at the Bristol Eye Hospital in the U.K. said the boy first visited his family doctor as a 14-year-old with a normal body mass index, but complained of tiredness. His doctor gave him some vitamin B12 injections to treat low levels of the vitamin and suggested some dietary changes.

A year later, the boy had developed hearing loss and symptoms related to his vision, but doctors could not determine the cause. By age 17, the boy’s vision had progressed to the point of blindness.

Doctors investigated and found the boy suffered several bone, vitamin and mineral deficiencies. That was when the teenager admitted to avoiding foods with certain textures since elementary school. He said he only ate French fries, Pringles, white bread, processed ham and sausage.

By the time doctors had completed the diagnosis, he had suffered permanent vision loss.

Though nutritional optic neuropathy is rare in developed countries, the University of Iowa documented a case in which a 28-year-old man’s diet consisted almost entirely of 1.9 litres of vodka per day, causing vision problems.

The authors of the U.K. case study say “fussy eating” restricted to junk food that causes serious nutritional deficiencies is a form of eating disorder.

The researchers say nutritional optic neuropathy should be considered in all cases of unexplained vision loss involving someone with a poor diet, regardless of the person’s BMI."

Funny thing was l remember rebelling in HS and living off of candy bars for a short period of time. We never had candy stuff in our home. My gourmet parents never went to any fast-food place.

Teen went blind after eating only Pringles, fries, ham and sausage: case study

Transcript:

"A teenager in the United Kingdom described as a “fussy eater” lost his vision due to a strict diet of Pringles, French fries, white bread, processed ham and sausage.

A case study published Monday in Annals of Internal Medicine, shows the boy suffered from nutritional optic neuropathy, a dysfunction of the optic nerve cause by a diet low in nutrients required for nerve fibres in the eye to function. The condition can lead to permanent vision loss if left untreated.

Researchers at the Bristol Eye Hospital in the U.K. said the boy first visited his family doctor as a 14-year-old with a normal body mass index, but complained of tiredness. His doctor gave him some vitamin B12 injections to treat low levels of the vitamin and suggested some dietary changes.

A year later, the boy had developed hearing loss and symptoms related to his vision, but doctors could not determine the cause. By age 17, the boy’s vision had progressed to the point of blindness.

Doctors investigated and found the boy suffered several bone, vitamin and mineral deficiencies. That was when the teenager admitted to avoiding foods with certain textures since elementary school. He said he only ate French fries, Pringles, white bread, processed ham and sausage.

By the time doctors had completed the diagnosis, he had suffered permanent vision loss.

Though nutritional optic neuropathy is rare in developed countries, the University of Iowa documented a case in which a 28-year-old man’s diet consisted almost entirely of 1.9 litres of vodka per day, causing vision problems.

The authors of the U.K. case study say “fussy eating” restricted to junk food that causes serious nutritional deficiencies is a form of eating disorder.

The researchers say nutritional optic neuropathy should be considered in all cases of unexplained vision loss involving someone with a poor diet, regardless of the person’s BMI."

I had to wonder if that was why I had a sudden and significant deterioration of vision in one of my eyes this summer. :oops:
I don't have a lot of money and I prefer to save for things I can keep and use, than spend on consumables like decent food.

I used to get all my food from the skips (bins at the back of the supermarket) at night; but since I got old, and they started giving the waste to the food banks, its easier to just buy poor food. Usually instant noodles or pasta. A lot of pasta. And cheese to flavour the pasta lol. :oops:
I would have been unsurprised if that had turned out to be the cause of my vision problem.

I had to wonder if that was why I had a sudden and significant deterioration of vision in one of my eyes this summer. :oops:
I don't have a lot of money and I prefer to save for things I can keep and use, than spend on consumables like decent food.

I used to get all my food from the skips (bins at the back of the supermarket) at night; but since I got old, and they started giving the waste to the food banks, its easier to just buy poor food. Usually instant noodles or pasta. A lot of pasta. And cheese to flavour the pasta lol. :oops:
I would have been unsurprised if that had turned out to be the cause of my vision problem.
Yes if you’re losing a lot of weight it could be categorised as starvation definitely malnutrition .

There are so many vitamins to consider. I don't really want to think about it all. It's possible the individual had sensitivities to vitamins too. :(
I guess it shows to go that sometimes in life, it's better to find a balance and not just do what you want even if it hurts you do to it due to (psychological?) sensitivities.

This exact case was brought up yesterday when I went to an eye doctor. I've been eating crappy and stressed, probably why it's taking so long to get over my eye problem.

New Threads

Top Bottom