• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teen blind after solely eating Pringles, Ham, Fries, Sausages, Bread

Isadoorian

Welcomer of Newcomers
V.I.P Member
Teen went blind after eating only Pringles, fries, ham and sausage: case study

Transcript:

"A teenager in the United Kingdom described as a “fussy eater” lost his vision due to a strict diet of Pringles, French fries, white bread, processed ham and sausage.

A case study published Monday in Annals of Internal Medicine, shows the boy suffered from nutritional optic neuropathy, a dysfunction of the optic nerve cause by a diet low in nutrients required for nerve fibres in the eye to function. The condition can lead to permanent vision loss if left untreated.

Researchers at the Bristol Eye Hospital in the U.K. said the boy first visited his family doctor as a 14-year-old with a normal body mass index, but complained of tiredness. His doctor gave him some vitamin B12 injections to treat low levels of the vitamin and suggested some dietary changes.

A year later, the boy had developed hearing loss and symptoms related to his vision, but doctors could not determine the cause. By age 17, the boy’s vision had progressed to the point of blindness.

Doctors investigated and found the boy suffered several bone, vitamin and mineral deficiencies. That was when the teenager admitted to avoiding foods with certain textures since elementary school. He said he only ate French fries, Pringles, white bread, processed ham and sausage.

By the time doctors had completed the diagnosis, he had suffered permanent vision loss.

Though nutritional optic neuropathy is rare in developed countries, the University of Iowa documented a case in which a 28-year-old man’s diet consisted almost entirely of 1.9 litres of vodka per day, causing vision problems.

The authors of the U.K. case study say “fussy eating” restricted to junk food that causes serious nutritional deficiencies is a form of eating disorder.

The researchers say nutritional optic neuropathy should be considered in all cases of unexplained vision loss involving someone with a poor diet, regardless of the person’s BMI."

I'm a nutrition coach, and I do find people don't seem to see the link between health, diet and exercise. It's really sad. I get that we all have likes and dislikes, but these are generally only from what our parents fed us as infants, and what our mothers ate during pregnancy.

got to say the NHS make it sound like they are all concern why doesn’t the article tell you about all the terrible things the NHS does ,They could’ve tested him years before they’re too greedy to pay for the tests.
You regularly hear about parents saying their child won’t eat this and that and I took him to the doctors and the doctor says oh they’re fine .

got to say the NHS make it sound like they are all concern why doesn’t the article tell you about all the terrible things the NHS does
The NHS (for all its 'faults') do more good than harm.
You regularly hear about parents saying their child won’t eat this and that and I took him to the doctors and the doctor says oh they’re fine
This is because the NHS is inherently a reactionary organisation. If one approaches the NHS in what is otherwise a seemingly 'heathy' state (heathy = the absence of disease), there isn't much they can do from a time or money point of view.

I'm a nutrition coach, and I do find people don't seem to see the link between health, diet and exercise. It's really sad. I get that we all have likes and dislikes, but these are generally only from what our parents fed us as infants, and what our mothers ate during pregnancy.
Babies are born with likes and dislikes. My son refused to eat bananas from the beginning. Babies have preferred foods and foods that they will spit out. So I don't think likes and dislikes are controlled by the parents. Also I ate the same types of foods with all 4 of mine and I fed them all the same and they each have different likes and dislikes.

Have to blame both the parents and the child’s doctor for this. The parents must have known about the vitamin deficiencies, from those mentioned limited foods that obviously lack most vitamins and minerals, unless the parents were clueless about those health things because of lack of education. Others may just be in denial. Still ignorance is not an excuse. This does not mean I blame them necessarily for being able to get their child to eat only those foods, as we as parents see first hand the difficulties there with our two very picky eating children who each had difficulties eating a healthy variety of foods.

But, we knew we had to somehow get a multivitamin in them, if not able through soft gummy, pill or liquid form, because of either texture, taste, smell, or aesthetics difficulties, then in multipowder form, mixed in an orange juice or yogurt; a multi-powder supplement with more neutral taste, and through using verbal logic to that older child too, if needed, to make them more receptive to try and for them to continue consuming such. We would not give up until we got each child the basic important supplements in them, as we worried otherwise we were putting our children’s present and/or future health at risk.

We now use the Kirkman vitamin and minerals powder that comes in a container. In the past we used ANRC Essentials in similar form but they changed the formula and it had a noticeable stronger and different taste, from original neutral taste. Yes, using supplements are supposedly not as effective as getting those vitamins and minerals in through foods and drink, according to nutritional experts, but we had to try something, when all other attempts failed to get our children to eat and drink more variety, after research, more patience, using different ways to present the food, and after many trial by error approaches.

As for the medical people, a yearly blood test should have been done, after they knew of the very restricted diet since early on, assuming their doctor asked those basic food questions, at minimum yearly, and assuming the parents told the truths about the poor diet there. A pet peeve I have for traditional pediatrician and general practice doctors is many will just assume things, or just do the basics, like looking in ears, in mouth or up nose, and not want to do more, or verify by occasionally testing for more. Perhaps a lack of adequate insurance, or time with patients is responsible there, if not doctor incompetence, ability to analyze, etc.

I realize it can be very upsetting or traumatic for those with sensory conditions to have blood taken out, like for our youngest, who freaks out when we have to do such, but when he was younger and very unable to consume a more healthy variety of foods, we as parents had no choice but to be proactive there, and we needed to push the doctors to check his blood. When deficiencies came back, it motivated us further to get those vitamins and minerals in him, though we were already motivated but were not yet successful there. We kept trying new forms of the vitamins and supplements, until the right taste and texture was tolerated. Since, blood tests have been fine, with exception of occasional iron deficiency, which we have to use a small capsule taken apart to mix that powder with for instance strawberry banana flavored omega oil.

Probably worrying and unable to force their child to eat the right foods.
possible trigger warning !My mother was exactly the same !she was only convinced when I had a vegetable curry, because I hadn’t been able to eat vegetables! and then proceeded to vomit it, I had purposely eaten it! to please her, but for some reason at of age 15 ,my body decided I could eat absolutely anything, I still did eat some vegetables before that age ,but just not enough .

"Acceptance of the child" and "necessary environmental accommodations" can be taken too far. My kids did have some food preferences and intolerances, but I still adhered to the "Basic 4" lesson which now is the "food pyramid," in either case a "balanced diet." And I could cite reasons for it, reasons they could not argue away.

I don't really appreciate the categorization of this as an eating disorder. From the information given and reasons the boy stated, it sounds like a result of sensory integration/sensitivity issues. If you try to help someone through it with traditional supports and therapies for eating disorders it likely won't help- if it does, be harmful to the person in the long run.

But if you support someone with therapies and practices appropriate for sensory difficulties it would help the person in more than just this area.

"Orthorexia" is a newish proposed eating disorder but if the issues are caused by something else then that's not actually the case. This is really irresponsible reporting to conflate the issues.

I don't really appreciate the categorization of this as an eating disorder. From the information given and reasons the boy stated, it sounds like a result of sensory integration/sensitivity issues. If you try to help someone through it with traditional supports and therapies for eating disorders it likely won't help- if it does, be harmful to the person in the long run.

But if you support someone with therapies and practices appropriate for sensory difficulties it would help the person in more than just this area.

"Orthorexia" is a newish proposed eating disorder but if the issues are caused by something else then that's not actually the case. This is really irresponsible reporting to conflate the issues.
I’ve heard some members say the UK seems advanced medicine is not that advanced in the UK.

The boy was diagnosed in 2013 with some kind of food avoidance syndrome. You'd think his parents would have found ways to get him to eat a proper diet since they had full knowledge of how deplorable his diet was. I don't know enough about the doctors' role to blame them. They apparently did blood tests and told the parents and the child to improve his diet.

Some of my kids were picky eaters, too. One wanted to eat French fries (chips) with her meals all the time so I made sweet potato and carrot fries in the oven, figuring they were healthier than white potatoes, and she liked them.

(Cooking tip: put a sheet pan in the oven and turn the temperature to 400 degrees F. Let the sheet pan get screaming hot while you prepare the vegetable slices and lightly oil, salt and pepper them. Take the hot sheet pan out of the oven and spread the vegetables on it - it will sizzle as if you were frying them in oil - and return to the oven, stir occasionally so they cook evenly. Starting with a very hot sheet pan makes them crispier and cook faster.)

It makes sense why some people suffer terrible care from the NHS ,when a consultant is paid £740,000 ,you can’t pay for tests and pay somebody that.

I wonder what prevented vitamin supplementation.
My mother was only offered vitamins by the NHS when she had Lou Gehrig’s disease, her starting weight was 9 1/2 stones, weight at death was three and a half stones , before she was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease, she was so anaemic she had to have a blood transfusion and only took them(NHS) about five or 10 years to realise that ,she never looked healthy !But if you don’t make a nuisance of yourself ,which is degrading, you don’t get any help!

My mother was only offered vitamins by the NHS when she had Lou Gehrig’s disease, her starting weight was 9 1/2 stones, weight at death was three and a half stones , before she was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease, she was so anaemic she had to have a blood transfusion and only took them(NHS) about five or 10 years to realise that ,she never looked healthy !But if you don’t make a nuisance of yourself ,which is degrading, you don’t get any help!

I mean from the parents, just buying them OTC. A doctor isn't needed for vitamins. Unless it's different in other countries?

I mean from the parents, just buying them OTC. A doctor isn't needed for vitamins. Unless it's different in other countries?

No, it's not different in the UK. Vitamins are widely available are often classed as an item that people should buy themselves and not rely on the NHS.

People expecting prescriptions, often free of charge, for medication that can be bought OTC is a HUGE drain on the already massively overstretched NHS.

There are bigger financial drains, but every little bit helps.

I think a lot of people just wouldn’t know what to buy! ,I know a certain amount! because my mother was always ill !and the medicine she was given didn’t help, it’s taken me years to grasp that they need to keep doing it ( taking vitamins ),Diet is promoted in the UK !but as the country isn’t a giant prison !not at the moment !people eat what they want.

I think it also depends on how much they cost and your health condition certain people have certain allergies to things in vitamins

New Threads

Top Bottom