• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Techno-Doof seeks discrete counsel

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
My keyboard has a few keys which are epically jammed from cookie crumbs.:cookie: Shaking the device upended, and gently vaccuming has not helped.

The karma, it burns.

Hold it upside down, carefully, and with a small, clean dry paintbrush brush between and all around the keys. Not that I have ever had to do that. [dry humor]

If it's not a chiclet-style keyboard or a laptop, you should be able to pop off the keys with a bit of leverage using a small flathead screwdriver and an even amount of pressure lifting up from the bottom of the key. Done it many times on an IBM 101 style keyboard over the years.

On a laptop you're likely looking at having to disassemble things just to get at dirt, dust and crumbs getting in between the keys.

Worst case, try side-spraying with one of those little cans of air. Of course, I speak hypothetically since I never eat cookies over my keyboard.

(Pinoccian nose is now tilting monitor backwards, as cat bats it.)

Have to admit, I like my wireless chiclet-style keyboard in this instance. There's just not enough space in between keys for much of anything to fall through. Gravity just solves whatever lands onto my keyboard.

They make dishwasher-safe keyboards...for all you cookie monsters out there. (seriously)

Or you could just delete all the cookies, which will increase security, too. (couldn't resist)

Oh goodness. If it's a laptop, and it's that bad, you might have to do some disassembly...something for which you will want to hire a professional if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

I use a keyboard cover on my laptop (a Macbook Pro) which has proven pretty effective. Maybe you can find one for your laptop model?

BTW...a vacuum can cause buildup of static electricity, which can damage the computer. Better to use compressed air.

One thing to consider though when using compressed air on a laptop. With such a strong blast of air, you're just liable to inadvertently blow dust and/or debris underneath the keyboard assembly and allow it to concentrate in places that can block ventilation paths or heatsinks and fans.

Best to disassemble your laptop partially, at least to expose the keyboard sufficiently to actually remove whatever dust and debris is around the keys rather than to just redistribute it where it really doesn't belong. Whether you use compressed air and/or simply use gravity with the exposed keyboard and computer upside down.

Not an easy proposition, but it's your best course of action. Heat from debris and dust buildup is probably the worst and most common problem laptop computer owners can face.

There are a number of YouTube videos showing how to take apart various laptop computers.

Oh goodness. If it's a laptop, and it's that bad, you might have to do some disassembly...something for which you will want to hire a professional if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

I use a keyboard cover on my laptop (a Macbook Pro) which has proven pretty effective. Maybe you can find one for your laptop model?

Warmheart, my last laptop was filled with food crumbs & cat hair!!! My husband used some kind of vacuum to clean out the keyboard from time to time.:( Others here have already provided some good tips. I hope something works!!! Like Wyverary, now I have a Macbook Pro & also use an Ultra Thin Silicone Gel cover, or skin protector, & it works great to keep everything out!! Now my cats can freely do their 'work' without all that hair burning up my keyboard! :catface::joycat:

Warmheart, my last laptop was filled with food crumbs & cat hair!!! My husband used some kind of vacuum to clean out the keyboard from time to time.:( Others here have already provided some good tips. I hope something works!!! Like Wyverary, now I have a Macbook Pro & also use an Ultra Thin Silicone Gel cover, or skin protector, & it works great to keep everything out!! Now my cats can freely do their 'work' without all that hair burning up my keyboard! :catface::joycat:

That's what it was ... compressed air ... something sold for computers.. not a regular vacuum (nor hair dryer which I might have used)!

I pop the keys out and wash them, then clean the keyboard underneath with a q-tip and water, then pop the keys back on, gotta remember what order they go in though.

Can't give advice, but see many have. Other than to say that I am as guilty but not cookies and because I read all comments, best to let dogwood have the chief title for little joke :p

My poor lappy suffers from very shiny keys and most letters have faded away, but this was a great unforeseen strategy of mine to keep stalkers at bay; jealous for my baby o_O

Use a pressure washer to remove the filth! This will either A: work and solve the stuck keys, or B: ruin the laptop giving you a perfect excuse to buy a new one and NOT eat cookies over the keys. Either way THIS WILL solve the problem.....

I pop the keys out and wash them, then clean the keyboard underneath with a q-tip and water, then pop the keys back on, gotta remember what order they go in though.
Be careful with this method, as you will need to be able to figure out how to get the keys back on.

New Threads

Top Bottom