• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teacher fired after dragging Autistic student throughout hallways

Isadoorian

Welcomer of Newcomers
V.I.P Member
Video shows autistic child dragged through school hallway by teacher and nurse - CNN

"Jo Grayson said she was alarmed when her son, Thatcher, came home from his middle school covered in cuts and bruises.

Earlier in the day, Thatcher's teacher texted Grayson to alert her to an incident involving him. But it did nothing to prepare Grayson for what she saw hours later when Thatcher came home and she discovered the marks on his body.
After she obtained surveillance video that explained the marks, she became appalled. The footage shows Thatcher, who is autistic and mostly nonverbal, being dragged down a school hallway by his teacher and the school nurse.
"I just don't understand how someone can do this to a child, let alone to a person with disabilities," Grayson told CNN. "I want the school district to take action and not just install cameras in every room of each school, but also train their staff accordingly so they know how to handle children with disabilities, or rough situations with children like Thatcher."
Thatcher is a sixth-grader at Tates Creek Middle School in Lexington, Kentucky. Because of his condition, he's not able to tell his parents when something is wrong. But the photos Grayson posted to her Facebook account speak volumes.
Grayson initially didn't make much out of the incident when she received the teacher's text in mid-September.
"The nurse and I had to physically help him get up off the gym floor," the text read. "He wouldn't move and other kids were trying to play. I apologize if he has marks on him."
Grayson says she thought the behavior sounded a little strange for Thatcher, but replied by thanking the teacher for informing her of the incident.
The situation changed that evening.
"We were getting ready for bed, and when I pulled his shirt off, I saw cuts and bruises on his body. That didn't look like marks of someone helping him get up," Grayson said.
Concerned at this point, Grayson rushed to the school the following class day to get clear answers on what exactly had happened. She was able to request surveillance video of the incident through an open request filed by her lawyer.
"I saw both his teacher and the school nurse just pulling and dragging my son, along with his service dog, all throughout the hallway," Grayson said.
Grayson confirmed with CNN that she in fact filed a report with the county district attorney. However, at this time, the report is under the review of the DA and no warrants have been issued.
According to Fayette County Public Schools, the teacher involved in the incident is no longer employed at the school as of October 2.
Officials with the school district provided a statement.
"Incidents of this nature -- in which an employee is acting outside of the district's expectations and out of line with the training provided -- are isolated. Our training is very explicit that physical restraint is a last resort only to be used when a student is a danger to themselves or others. The training also shows employees the proper ways to hold or transport students. In this case, neither of those standards were met," Lisa Deffendall, a spokeswoman for the school district, said in the statement.
"There is absolutely no tolerance for the conduct of the employee in this incident, and while we cannot discuss specifics, we do want to reassure our families that we take any situations of this nature very seriously," she added.
When asked what the district would expect of an employee if a child who is nonverbal refused to move, the school district said the following:
"It is difficult to generalize the district's expectations for responding to a situation like this because every child with special needs has an individual plan outlining the best evidence-based strategies to support their success. However, we can say that some recommended strategies would include use of wait time, visuals, a student's individual communication system, and system of least prompts."
As for the nurse, the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department said she has been placed on paid administrative leave "pending investigation."
"We continue to work with Fayette County Public Schools to investigate the matter. We cannot comment further at this time," Kevin Hall, a spokesman for the department, said in a statement.
Thatcher returned to school once his mother learned the teacher is no longer employed there, and she said she hopes the incident encourages other parents to speak up for their children."

Last edited:
That poor child. Being autistic, he may be super sensitive. Imagine what he felt physically and emotionally! And as a child, how could he understand? And being nonverbal, they thought he could not tell!

Why don't they have special schools where ONLY people on the spectrum are allowed to teach, comfort, and lead others on the Spectrum?!

If he were my son, there would be hell to pay. I would be going after the school district for monetary damages and I would be doing everything I could to see the teacher and school nurse criminally punished.

The ignorance of educators regarding students' special needs in the educational mainstream remains quite a hazard. Sadly reminding me of my school days of growing up in an environment dictated by corporal punishment rather than any attempt to truly understand those in their care, custody and control.

Last edited:
Yeah; I'm lucky to have went to schools where they understood Special Ed kids' needs and were provided IEPs; I know if this had happened to me my parents would be just as furious, maybe even moreso

Video shows autistic child dragged through school hallway by teacher and nurse - CNN

"Jo Grayson said she was alarmed when her son, Thatcher, came home from his middle school covered in cuts and bruises.

Earlier in the day, Thatcher's teacher texted Grayson to alert her to an incident involving him. But it did nothing to prepare Grayson for what she saw hours later when Thatcher came home and she discovered the marks on his body.
After she obtained surveillance video that explained the marks, she became appalled. The footage shows Thatcher, who is autistic and mostly nonverbal, being dragged down a school hallway by his teacher and the school nurse.
"I just don't understand how someone can do this to a child, let alone to a person with disabilities," Grayson told CNN. "I want the school district to take action and not just install cameras in every room of each school, but also train their staff accordingly so they know how to handle children with disabilities, or rough situations with children like Thatcher."
Thatcher is a sixth-grader at Tates Creek Middle School in Lexington, Kentucky. Because of his condition, he's not able to tell his parents when something is wrong. But the photos Grayson posted to her Facebook account speak volumes.
Grayson initially didn't make much out of the incident when she received the teacher's text in mid-September.
"The nurse and I had to physically help him get up off the gym floor," the text read. "He wouldn't move and other kids were trying to play. I apologize if he has marks on him."
Grayson says she thought the behavior sounded a little strange for Thatcher, but replied by thanking the teacher for informing her of the incident.
The situation changed that evening.
"We were getting ready for bed, and when I pulled his shirt off, I saw cuts and bruises on his body. That didn't look like marks of someone helping him get up," Grayson said.
Concerned at this point, Grayson rushed to the school the following class day to get clear answers on what exactly had happened. She was able to request surveillance video of the incident through an open request filed by her lawyer.
"I saw both his teacher and the school nurse just pulling and dragging my son, along with his service dog, all throughout the hallway," Grayson said.
Grayson confirmed with CNN that she in fact filed a report with the county district attorney. However, at this time, the report is under the review of the DA and no warrants have been issued.
According to Fayette County Public Schools, the teacher involved in the incident is no longer employed at the school as of October 2.
Officials with the school district provided a statement.
"Incidents of this nature -- in which an employee is acting outside of the district's expectations and out of line with the training provided -- are isolated. Our training is very explicit that physical restraint is a last resort only to be used when a student is a danger to themselves or others. The training also shows employees the proper ways to hold or transport students. In this case, neither of those standards were met," Lisa Deffendall, a spokeswoman for the school district, said in the statement.
"There is absolutely no tolerance for the conduct of the employee in this incident, and while we cannot discuss specifics, we do want to reassure our families that we take any situations of this nature very seriously," she added.
When asked what the district would expect of an employee if a child who is nonverbal refused to move, the school district said the following:
"It is difficult to generalize the district's expectations for responding to a situation like this because every child with special needs has an individual plan outlining the best evidence-based strategies to support their success. However, we can say that some recommended strategies would include use of wait time, visuals, a student's individual communication system, and system of least prompts."
As for the nurse, the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department said she has been placed on paid administrative leave "pending investigation."
"We continue to work with Fayette County Public Schools to investigate the matter. We cannot comment further at this time," Kevin Hall, a spokesman for the department, said in a statement.
Thatcher returned to school once his mother learned the teacher is no longer employed there, and she said she hopes the incident encourages other parents to speak up for their children."
I received Corporal punishment in school on two occasions, not at this Childs level! but I was too frightened to say anything ,I thought I had done something wrong .

The ignorance of educators regarding students' special needs in the educational mainstream remains quite a hazard. Sadly reminding me of my school days of growing up in an environment dictated by corporal punishment rather than any attempt to truly understand those in their care, custody and control.

Minimum wage teachers don't get paid enough to "understand", they just want to get through the day doing as little as possible.

Minimum wage teachers don't get paid enough to "understand", they just want to get through the day doing as little as possible.

That's a generalization. Not everyone deliberately performs in accordance with what they're paid. If that were true, everyone in entry-level positions of education would never get promoted to attain tenure.

In most cases of any kind of work, one has to "pay their dues" when starting out. If they aren't willing to, they won't likely advance far.

The challenge in this instance isn't so much a matter of mastering any subject, but rather mastering their students. Regardless of compensation.

Last edited:
They didn't do that to a "Special Ed kid", they did that to a person. What's more is that they did that to a person who was small and probably scared witless. In taking advantage of superior size and numbers, they committed a physically predatory act upon that child.

At least the teacher "no longer works there", but the nurse getting put on Paid Administrative Vacation is just so typical and self-evident of the power structure's view that one of those people is straight-up better than the other.

You know what constitutes felony assault? The "Substantial Bodily Harm" test. Of course, the definition of such is very broad; it can be as severe as broken bones or it could be as mild as a red mark on the skin. Seriously, you can face 8 years in prison for putting a red mark on someone's skin. This kid's injuries seem to be quite a bit more serious than that.

Still, I will bet you all my Star Wars guys, even Boba Fett, that the DA isn't going to press charges. I don't mean to be a know-it-all or whatever, but if the average Joe knew how the legal system works there would be riots in the streets.

Wow, holy crap. That's awful!

I believe that the the two staff members shouldn't work in any schools anymore, and also should be sent to prison. Sorry, but they shouldn't be in a public place that may have children present. Specifically children with autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom